Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Apr 2014, 04:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
How to do a One-Click Installation of Puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 5 of 7 [105 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Author Message
rjbrewer


Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 4422
Location: merriam, kansas

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan 2011, 12:44    Post subject:  

Diggs wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:
Read here to see the whole procedure. Those instructions also say to NOT make a pupsave file.


Heh - Did you read your own link? How is that in any way, shape, or form a one-click full install. That is a nightmare to the novice. Every major distro (especially those that profess ease of use) have a one click installer. Don't know why that has happened here especially with so many open source models available for examination. I'm not even sure how a novice that drops in the Puppy ISO and clicks "Install" would know to have a swap partition.

The Puppy Install is one of the major areas needing improvement for this distro to be truly user friendly and it hasn't changed in the last several years that I can tell.


This video guide to "full" install gets it right.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=201565&search_id=1358540782#201565

_________________

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 8563
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan 2011, 12:59    Post subject:  

Diggs wrote:
Heh - Did you read your own link? How is that in any way, shape, or form a one-click full install.

I never claimed it was. In fact, if you read my instructions at the start of this thread, you will see that I recommend a FRUGAL install for beginners.

If you have complaints about the Universal Installer or the shut down dialog, you should direct them to a Bugs thread or to BarryK's blog. If you have particular problems with the operation of this One-Click Installer, I will be happy to discuss them.

BTW, have you actually tried a frugal install with this tool?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Diggs


Joined: 14 Sep 2008
Posts: 53

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan 2011, 13:01    Post subject:  

rjbrewer wrote:

This video guide to "full" install gets it right.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=201565&search_id=1358540782#201565


A name and password protected video? I can't really say that helps the average user do an install.

Everyone keeps pointing me at these tutorials on how to do a full install. No one seems to understand the point being made about the current install routine for Puppy. Users cannot take the ISO, put it into an old computer and click "Install". Add their name, time and language and 10 minutes later pull out the CD and enjoy their new Puppy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rjbrewer


Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 4422
Location: merriam, kansas

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan 2011, 13:58    Post subject:  

Diggs wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:

This video guide to "full" install gets it right.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=201565&search_id=1358540782#201565


A name and password protected video? I can't really say that helps the average user do an install.

Everyone keeps pointing me at these tutorials on how to do a full install. No one seems to understand the point being made about the current install routine for Puppy. Users cannot take the ISO, put it into an old computer and click "Install". Add their name, time and language and 10 minutes later pull out the CD and enjoy their new Puppy.


No download necessary.
Did you try scrolling down the page and looking at the images.
Only takes about 10-15 minutes to do the install.

_________________

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Diggs


Joined: 14 Sep 2008
Posts: 53

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jan 2011, 14:22    Post subject:  

rjbrewer wrote:
Diggs wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:

This video guide to "full" install gets it right.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=201565&search_id=1358540782#201565


A name and password protected video? I can't really say that helps the average user do an install.

Everyone keeps pointing me at these tutorials on how to do a full install. No one seems to understand the point being made about the current install routine for Puppy. Users cannot take the ISO, put it into an old computer and click "Install". Add their name, time and language and 10 minutes later pull out the CD and enjoy their new Puppy.


No download necessary.
Did you try scrolling down the page and looking at the images.
Only takes about 10-15 minutes to do the install.


I'm sorry, and I do not mean to be rude. But is everyone so far past the install routine in these forums that they have no idea how deficient it is and what I am saying? Has no one installed another OS lately? EVERY major distro can do a one-click install.

I apologize for my frustration. I'll move on now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Gander22h


Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Posts: 18
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr 2011, 13:50    Post subject:  

rcrsn51: I have been using your one-click script to do installations of Puppy since 4.3.1 and it has worked flawlessly, but I just tried it on 5.2.5 and it didn't work. It kept producing errors saying it couldn't find the CD. I then successfully did an installation of 5.2.0 using it, so it wasn't the hardware. There seems to be an incompatibility between Puppy 5.2.5 and the script.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 8563
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr 2011, 21:25    Post subject:  

You're right! The installer uses the probedisk command to identify the CD-ROM drive. In all previous versions, the drive was called "cdrom". In Lupu 525, it's now called "optical".

I guess an update is in order. Thanks.

Could you please test this version for me?
one-click-installer.tar.gz
Description 
gz

 Download 
Filename  one-click-installer.tar.gz 
Filesize  1.85 KB 
Downloaded  396 Time(s) 
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Gander22h


Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Posts: 18
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr 2011, 10:19    Post subject:  

Thank you for such a quick response!

Yes indeed that works perfectly now and I am pleased to report that I am writing this from a full-installation of Puppy 5.2.5!

One question: with this change to the script does that mean that the earlier version would still be needed to install earlier versions of Puppy than 5.2.5?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 8563
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr 2011, 10:22    Post subject:  

Gander22h wrote:
One question: with this change to the script does that mean that the earlier version would still be needed to install earlier versions of Puppy than 5.2.5?

No. I have modified the script so it works with all versions. However, could you do a test for me with an older Puppy, just to be sure? I did a quick simulated test and it looks OK.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Gander22h


Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Posts: 18
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr 2011, 11:00    Post subject:  

I just used the newest version of the script to do a full installation of Puppy 5.2.0, which I happened to have a CD for on hand. I am pleased to report that the installation worked just fine, no problems! Thank you for fixing it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 8563
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr 2011, 11:03    Post subject:  

Excellent. Thank you for the testing. I will post the new version at the start of the thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Gander22h


Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Posts: 18
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr 2011, 11:09    Post subject:  

That would be super. Perhaps you can add a note to indicate that it works on 5.2.5 and earlier now?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Foxyfrank

Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr 2011, 23:12    Post subject: menu.lst problem
Subject description: Why does everybody give us their canned version of menu.lst?
 

I wish I had seen this subject before I wiped the HD on an old HP and tried to install Puppy 421 alone. It ALMOST works. It looks like the entries in MY menu.lst are wrong. When I boot the Hp I get a nice puppy logo screen, but at the bottom is the following:

Boot Options pmedia=atahd=puppy421nosmp

hitting "enter" I get a black screen with the following text:

root noverify (hd 0,0)

Error 11 unrecognized device string
press any key to continue

pressing any key gives me GNU GRUB with more confusing choices and
on & on.

Why can't someone clear up the mystery of writing the menu.lst file?
What'n'ell does "rootnoverify (hd 0,0)" MEAN? What does it do??
Why is it an "unrecognized device string" which I copied from someone else's help files? What do all the other typical menu.lst commands MEAN and/or do???

Frank
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
James C


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 5453
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr 2011, 23:44    Post subject: Re: menu.lst problem
Subject description: Why does everybody give us their canned version of menu.lst?
 

Foxyfrank wrote:
I wish I had seen this subject before I wiped the HD on an old HP and tried to install Puppy 421 alone. It ALMOST works. It looks like the entries in MY menu.lst are wrong. When I boot the Hp I get a nice puppy logo screen, but at the bottom is the following:

Boot Options pmedia=atahd=puppy421nosmp

hitting "enter" I get a black screen with the following text:

root noverify (hd 0,0)

Error 11 unrecognized device string
press any key to continue

pressing any key gives me GNU GRUB with more confusing choices and
on & on.

Why can't someone clear up the mystery of writing the menu.lst file?
What'n'ell does "rootnoverify (hd 0,0)" MEAN? What does it do??
Why is it an "unrecognized device string" which I copied from someone else's help files? What do all the other typical menu.lst commands MEAN and/or do???

Frank


Here's a couple of sample entries from my menu lst .......one frugal and one full install.Regular Grub.



title Puppy Linux Lucid 525 frugal in sda2
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel /puppy525/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=puppy525 acpi=force
initrd /puppy525/initrd.gz

title Puppy Linux 432 full install in sda5
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5 pmedia=atahd acpi=force


The frugal install is in a folder/directory "puppy525".........just change the versions and partitions to fit your situation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 8563
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr 2011, 08:26    Post subject: Re: menu.lst problem
Subject description: Why does everybody give us their canned version of menu.lst?
 

Foxyfrank wrote:
root noverify (hd 0,0)
Error 11 unrecognized device string

You have some extra spaces. It should be
Code:
rootnoverify (hd0,0)

Quote:
Why can't someone clear up the mystery of writing the menu.lst file?

There is no mystery. The GRUB bootloader uses a very specific syntax and you need to honour it. The whole point of the one-click installer is that it gets you a basic Puppy installation without having to worry about GRUB.

If you are looking for a tutorial on how GRUB works, you should start a new thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 5 of 7 [105 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0843s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0096s) ][ GZIP on ]