How to do a One-Click Installation of Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Foxyfrank

menu.lst entries

#76 Post by Foxyfrank »

Ok. I well understand that there is a difference between 'root noverify" and "rootnoverify". Looking back I find that I copied that from somebody else that probably didn't know any more about it than I do.
I understand that the "root" command points to where the root is, but what does noverify mean/do?
I understand that kernel points to where the vmlinuz is, but what does pmedia=atahdpsubdir=puppy421nosmp mean/do? Why should I have it there or not have it there?
To me it IS a mystery.
As I said in the beginning, if I had found THIS subject on this list I could have used the system which avoided all of the glitches - probably only to encounter others.

Frank

rjbrewer

Re: menu.lst entries

#77 Post by rjbrewer »

Foxyfrank wrote:Ok. I well understand that there is a difference between 'root noverify" and "rootnoverify". Looking back I find that I copied that from somebody else that probably didn't know any more about it than I do.
I understand that the "root" command points to where the root is, but what does noverify mean/do?
I understand that kernel points to where the vmlinuz is, but what does pmedia=atahdpsubdir=puppy421nosmp mean/do? Why should I have it there or not have it there?
To me it IS a mystery.
As I said in the beginning, if I had found THIS subject on this list I could have used the system which avoided all of the glitches - probably only to encounter others.

Frank
Grub basics;

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4622?page=0,0

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

8-bit

#78 Post by 8-bit »

rcrsn51,
I have to give you a big thanks in making the one-click install script.
I recently was trying to install Puppy 2.16 on an ancient computer as a full install.
I used the universal installer, selected full install, and this was after using Gparted to delete the old fat32 partition, creating an ext2 partition and setting the boot flag.
The install seemed to go ok, and I did not touch grub at all.
But when I tried rebooting, it failed.
I then went back assuming I would have to install Grub.
I did that and then grub complained about not finding /boot/grub/vmlinuz.
When I booted from CD again, I mounted the drive and sure enough, vmlinuz was missing.

I was about to pull my remaining hair out when I found your script.
Also, I should mention that in all the time I have used Puppy, I had never done a full install.
So thank you again for a great install script! :) :) :D

jola66

cd install

#79 Post by jola66 »

Thanks for the info, your advice, as well as others helped me full-install 5.3.1, which is great, cause now i get other challenges.

Like a connection but browser won't take hold, says connection failed, damn!

Thanks to you & the community for all the help/advice. I'll be needing more. -jola66

OG1958

Not reading USB sticck

#80 Post by OG1958 »

I have tried both methods but Puppy will not read my USB drive. I hate to give up but I am still lost. When I did my installs or attempted them I got a message that no CD was in CD drive. I have two optical drives-one cd/dvd writeable and one combo blue ray/cd/dvd read only.
So I decided to try to make a USB drive with Puppy on it. The USB drive was formatted to FAT32 and it did not work. I tried to format it to FAT16 and that did not work either. As I mentioned before Puppy needs to be set up to install just like any other Ubuntu based distro.
I hate to say it but I am getting frustrated.

rcrsn51

Re: Not reading USB sticck

#81 Post by rcrsn51 »

OG1958 wrote:I have tried both methods but Puppy will not read my USB drive..
Are you talking about the step where you downloaded the attachment and saved it to your USB drive?

Did you mount the drive by clicking its desktop icon?

theos911

#82 Post by theos911 »

I grabbed the 5.3 iso and this script and popped them in. The one-click-installer folder should be in the root of the flash drive, Yes? With it in this place, the script begins to run but ends on "Could not find the Puppy files!"

I am running from a flash drive attempting to replace the entire drive with puppy.

Latitude C810 w/4GB SSD

Screenshot:
http://imageshack.us/a/img100/244/screenshothk.png

rcrsn51

#83 Post by rcrsn51 »

Which 5.3 Puppy are you installing? Wary?
I grabbed the 5.3 iso and this script and popped them in.
Please explain. Did you just put the ISO on the flash drive? It needs to be a bootable flash drive based on the target Puppy.

ie. If you want to install Wary to a hard drive, the flash drive must also have Wary installed on it.

Also, if you scroll upwards through the one-click installer's messages, what was at the start of the mount errors?
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 03 Nov 2012, 02:45, edited 2 times in total.

theos911

#84 Post by theos911 »

I downloaded the wary-5.3.iso from http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/wary-5.3/ and used unetbootin to put it on the flash drive. I then booted from that flash drive on the latitude without any arguments at the boot prompt. After the xwizard it boots to live and I even have internet! However, when I tried the installer it seemed to go well, but upon reboot without the flash drive it just stayed black. (No Bootloader I presume?) I then tried your script and got the results above.

I have also tried crunchbang, but it doesn't have drivers for the ancient GeForce2Go in the Latitude whereas Wary does. (And neither do most other new distros that I am accustomed to dealing with: Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, Debian and so on)

rcrsn51

#85 Post by rcrsn51 »

Look on the flash drive. What files do you see? Are the core Puppy files in a subfolder?

Go to the folder /etc/rc.d and open the file PUPSTATE. What are the values of the variables PDEV1 and DEV1FS?

I just did a frugal install using a Wary 5.3 flash drive and it worked fine.

Are there already some core Puppy files on the hard drive? Your first attempt using the Puppy Universal Installer may have put them there. If so the one-click-installer will get confused.

You need to use the boot option "puppy pfix=ram". Does Unetbootin let you do that?

rcrsn51

#86 Post by rcrsn51 »

No reply? I would like to fix this problem, but I need some information from you.

[Edit] I have posted a comment about Unetbootin at the top of Page 1. I suspect that it applies to your problem.

taladraco

Thank you!

#87 Post by taladraco »

This installer just made my evening!

I have been struggling with my little netbook and trying to get Puppy installed to the HD. The HD had been erased before I could install a new OS to it, so I've been booting it from a LiveKey USB drive. I kept trying to use the "install" program that came with the OS, but it kept telling me there was no space. (It's a 4gb HD. Small, but I knew there had to be enough space.)

I was very frustrated until I realised it was, for some reason, trying to install either back to the USB or to my RAM instead of the HD itself. I had followed all of the directions, but I am nowhere close to be a hacker and could not figure out what I was doing wrong.

I used this installer and 5 minutes later, it's properly installed and I no longer need to worry about having the LiveKey.

So thank you! This is awesome.

theos911

#88 Post by theos911 »

Sorry for the delay and I appreciate the help. I was busy from 7AM-10PM yesterday: We got all the gas lines run for the new house, making it well worth the long day. I should have some time today to try out your suggestions.

theos911

#89 Post by theos911 »

Your suggestions for unetbootin worked perfectly. After that the script worked as expected and I'm currently slowly learning the differences between Ubuntu/Debian and Puppy. Now all I need to do is get 2D acceleration on this GeForce2Go and I'm set. (Already got Mesa-utils installed)

ChrisOfBristol

One-click-installer makes Puppy usable for me

#90 Post by ChrisOfBristol »

I spent hours trying to work out how to install Grub and when I succeeded, what to do because there was no /boot directory with the lst file and was about to give up.

Then I found this thread with the one-click installer! I had found the right answer in the first thread I looked at and it worked first time.

Puppy looks like just what I what - it would be nice if it was possible to incorporate the one-click-installer as part of a CD installation.

highway_man

one-Click?

#91 Post by highway_man »

I am trying to install on a computer hard drive. I completely wiped out the hard drive. I have a Precise Puppy 5.4.2. I copied the one click installer to a flash drive. I see it in the OS. I click it. XArchive 0.2.8-6 opens up...and that is where my experience completely diverges from page 1 post 1.
Mount the flash drive, open the "one-click-installer" folder and click on the icon labeled "install-cd". Before installation starts, you will get to answer a YES/NO question.
Open or double click yields
Wrappers found and their supporting file extensions.
(3) Need program not found, ignored.
(5) wrappers without warnings.

If I extract, it looks like there is some processing going on for 2 seconds.

Please be gentle. 8% of the posts on this thread are from noobs like myself. I understood 10% of the thread looking to see if my question has been answered.

rcrsn51

#92 Post by rcrsn51 »

You have the file named one-click-installer.tar.gz.

Single-click on it.

This starts the Xarchive program.

Click on Select All and Extract.

Click OK.

You now have the folder named one-click-installer.

Click on it to see the two programs.

If this does not work for you, there is something wrong with your download.

highway_man

Re-Install

#93 Post by highway_man »

Success!! Thank you rcrsn51. (twice)

Now I am trying to undo the damage that I have caused. I want to re-install Puppy on my hard drive. I run the installer. It runs like before, but it notices that sda is still mounted. sda1 is my hard drive, so I assume that it wants a completely blank drive...?

As per the instruction, I enter in Console

Code: Select all

df
Then I am supposed to reboot using the option:puppy pfix=ram
How do I do that?

ANSWER: Re-boot using CD. Hit <F2> at the pause. Type in command.

If I type it in Console, it says command not found.

Another path might be...Is there a Linux "restore" equivalent?[/b]
Last edited by highway_man on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

Re: Re-Install

#94 Post by rcrsn51 »

highway_man wrote:Then I am supposed to reboot using the option:puppy pfix=ram. How do I do that?
From the instructions on Page 1:
If there is an existing version of Puppy on the hard drive or if you have been storing a pup_save file there, you must boot by typing the following option. There is a short initial pause as the Live CD starts for doing this.

puppy pfix=ram
You must do this while Puppy is still at the splash screen, not once you have a desktop.

highway_man

Re-Install Error

#95 Post by highway_man »

After the last e-mail, I performed the action (after <F2> at startup)

# puppy pfix=ram
Puppy loaded up from the CD to RAM. I run the One-click-installer from the USB. Frugal Install. Yes, Erase the hard drive. The script runs.. then as it get to the end of the scrip.
and got one of these two errors in a pop-up box:
Error saving /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons: No space left on device.
or
Error saving pinboard/root/Chooces/ROX-filer/PuppyPin: No space left on device.
This is saving to a previously wiped 56GB hard drive, no partitions. I get a similar issue if I try to save to file upon exiting. When I shut down completely, and the CD is ejected, nothing boots up. If I try to boot from the CD (no pfix), the I get the error
Performing a 'switch root' to the layered filesystem...[ 20.638705] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init.
I can only seem to get Puppy (re)installed by running HDDErase and wiping out the hard drive. Then following the steps on page 1. Is there a better way?

Frugal Precise 5.4.2 on AMD Athalon XP Processor 3000+ 798MHz 513Mb RAM