How to do a One-Click Installation of Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
highway_man

one-Click?

#91 Post by highway_man »

I am trying to install on a computer hard drive. I completely wiped out the hard drive. I have a Precise Puppy 5.4.2. I copied the one click installer to a flash drive. I see it in the OS. I click it. XArchive 0.2.8-6 opens up...and that is where my experience completely diverges from page 1 post 1.
Mount the flash drive, open the "one-click-installer" folder and click on the icon labeled "install-cd". Before installation starts, you will get to answer a YES/NO question.
Open or double click yields
Wrappers found and their supporting file extensions.
(3) Need program not found, ignored.
(5) wrappers without warnings.

If I extract, it looks like there is some processing going on for 2 seconds.

Please be gentle. 8% of the posts on this thread are from noobs like myself. I understood 10% of the thread looking to see if my question has been answered.

rcrsn51

#92 Post by rcrsn51 »

You have the file named one-click-installer.tar.gz.

Single-click on it.

This starts the Xarchive program.

Click on Select All and Extract.

Click OK.

You now have the folder named one-click-installer.

Click on it to see the two programs.

If this does not work for you, there is something wrong with your download.

highway_man

Re-Install

#93 Post by highway_man »

Success!! Thank you rcrsn51. (twice)

Now I am trying to undo the damage that I have caused. I want to re-install Puppy on my hard drive. I run the installer. It runs like before, but it notices that sda is still mounted. sda1 is my hard drive, so I assume that it wants a completely blank drive...?

As per the instruction, I enter in Console

Code: Select all

df
Then I am supposed to reboot using the option:puppy pfix=ram
How do I do that?

ANSWER: Re-boot using CD. Hit <F2> at the pause. Type in command.

If I type it in Console, it says command not found.

Another path might be...Is there a Linux "restore" equivalent?[/b]
Last edited by highway_man on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

Re: Re-Install

#94 Post by rcrsn51 »

highway_man wrote:Then I am supposed to reboot using the option:puppy pfix=ram. How do I do that?
From the instructions on Page 1:
If there is an existing version of Puppy on the hard drive or if you have been storing a pup_save file there, you must boot by typing the following option. There is a short initial pause as the Live CD starts for doing this.

puppy pfix=ram
You must do this while Puppy is still at the splash screen, not once you have a desktop.

highway_man

Re-Install Error

#95 Post by highway_man »

After the last e-mail, I performed the action (after <F2> at startup)

# puppy pfix=ram
Puppy loaded up from the CD to RAM. I run the One-click-installer from the USB. Frugal Install. Yes, Erase the hard drive. The script runs.. then as it get to the end of the scrip.
and got one of these two errors in a pop-up box:
Error saving /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons: No space left on device.
or
Error saving pinboard/root/Chooces/ROX-filer/PuppyPin: No space left on device.
This is saving to a previously wiped 56GB hard drive, no partitions. I get a similar issue if I try to save to file upon exiting. When I shut down completely, and the CD is ejected, nothing boots up. If I try to boot from the CD (no pfix), the I get the error
Performing a 'switch root' to the layered filesystem...[ 20.638705] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init.
I can only seem to get Puppy (re)installed by running HDDErase and wiping out the hard drive. Then following the steps on page 1. Is there a better way?

Frugal Precise 5.4.2 on AMD Athalon XP Processor 3000+ 798MHz 513Mb RAM

rcrsn51

#96 Post by rcrsn51 »

Are those messages coming from the one-click installer script? Or after you have tried to make a save file?

When the installer script is done, but before closing its window, scroll upwards and look for any error messages.

Also, try installing an older Puppy.

ASRI éducation

OCI (one click installer)

#97 Post by ASRI éducation »

The OCI utility (one click installer) provides users an easy method to install the operating system.
OCI is based on scripts of rcrsn51.

=> OCI (one click installer)

Projet ASRI éducation => [url=http://asri-education.org/]Association[/url] | [url=http://forum.asri-education.org/]Forum[/url] | [url=http://dl01.asri-education.org/]Dépôt[/url] | [url=http://kids.asri-education.org/]Espace kids[/url]

vittorio

How to use the file .tar.gz

#98 Post by vittorio »

For rcrsn51

Thank you so much for this article but I don't know haw to use (execute) the .tar.gz file in puppy 5.2.8.
Can you tell me how to do?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by vittorio on Sat 02 Nov 2013, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

vittorio

How to use the file .tar.gz

#99 Post by vittorio »

For rcrsn51

Thank you so much for this article but I don't know haw to use (execute) the .tar.gz file in puppy 5.2.8.
Can you tell me how to do?

Thanks in advance!

rcrsn51

#100 Post by rcrsn51 »

Download the file and single-click on it.

timgri

Installing Puppy from USB (i am a complete newbiepuppy...)

#101 Post by timgri »

I have a pentium4 intel computer that I just got from my mother..

Its current OS i Windows XP.

I downloaded the latest puppy version and unzipped it on a usb stick.

But now I do not know what to do.

When I start my computer (with the USB stick inserted) the computer just starts the Windows XP as usual..

Please help!

rufwoof

#102 Post by rufwoof »

I don't think you can just unzip puppy to the USB and expect it to work.

If your PC has a CD/DVD drive that is RW (can read and write), then get a blank CD/DVD and burn the ISO to that using a Windows program.

Download burncdcc from somewhere like http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downlo ... ftware.htm
extract and copy it to your XP and then use that to burn the iso to a CD/DVD

Watch out for adverts and other programs that might try and install - read each page carefully as some burners allow other things to install by default - you have to uncheck or 'decline' offers.

Before doing all that check that your PC BIOS supports booting from CD/DVD before HD, usually that involves booting up the PC and pressing either DEL or F8 or F2 or something like that at its booting in order to get into the BIOS settings. Be careful what you change there as it could make the PC not boot at all. You'll have to look for something that indicates BOOT order and have CD before Hardisk in the boot priority sequence.

Then boot the CD/DVD and you'll get into puppy and have to fill in your locale, language ...etc. One of the options on the menu will be to install puppy to a USB, something like MENU, SETUP, BOOTFLASH (INSTALL PUPPY TO USB). Again however you'll only be able to boot from a USB if your PC supports that, so whilst you were changing the BIOS to boot from CD before HD, have a look and see if USB was also one of the options - if so you'd probably want to have set that at the same time i.e.

BOOT priority order of

CD/DVD
USB
Hardisk

rufwoof

#103 Post by rufwoof »

For reference, if you get a boot CD/DVD working, you might want to stop there. Don't install puppy to hard disk, just boot from the CD/DVD all of the time. You can save some files to the hardisk such as savefiles or PET's, and music, images, documents etc alongside the XP data.

That way if you want to boot XP you just remove the CD/DVD disc and boot the PC.

That's what I do all the time and personally I believe its better than installing puppy onto the PC.

Its safer also, as no virus can install itself onto a read only medium (CD/DVD once written/created (assuming its a R- disk and not a multi-session burnt R+ disc)).

gcmartin

#104 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Timgri. Welcome to Puppyland. @Rufwoof give very accurate advice as he advises on use of a CD/DVD version of operation. Like him, I have used ONLY CD/DVD for running most of my PUPs since becoming a member in Puppyland. I think your thoughts on using the USB surrounds a quicker booting....maybe.

I ask:
  • What PC are you giving to your Mum?
    We need a Make & model number to be a little more specific in advising how to boot something other than the PCs hard-drive (HDD).
It would help

Most every PC models built since 2000 allow you to set and/or boot something other than the HDD, allowing you to tell it which device to use for booting. So, properly told, you can boot from, not only the HDD, but also from your DVD or your USB that you plug in.

If you watch your screen at power on, IN MOST CASES, you will see the PC indicating to you which key(s) to select an alternate unit for booting or which key(s) to hit to enter the BIOS where boot changes can be changed to make permanent.

If you don't see them, post your PC make & model and someone will respond to guide.

Welcome to Puppyland.

Paulth

Error 15

#105 Post by Paulth »

rjbrewer wrote: A good video guide to full install:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 782#201565
Hello everyone,

I followed this tutorial precisely. It was excellent. However:-

When selecting the Linux partition (sda1) in the grub boot menu, it reads:
Error 15: File not found

Press any key to continue. . .
I've seen this before and googling indicated it was miscomms between the grub menu list and partitions. I no longer think this is the case having followed the tutorial.

Can anyone help at all? Also, I'm sorry if I've asked this in the wrong place on the forum.

Here is what the edit option shows:
Root (hd0,0)
Kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=normal
I initially tried the one-click installation, but the windows would just close. Terminal read something along the lines of, cat no file or disc in the directory. But it disappeared very fast. I'm using an unusual multiboot cd (with 13.01 among other distros), and it's the secondary disc drive. I mounted the ISO just in case that would help, but no dice.

Any help would be much obliged.

Paul.

Paulth

#106 Post by Paulth »

^i suspect this is a hardware fault and will look out for a new machine. My thanks to anyone who had a look.