[Solved] Nic drivers

Booting, installing, newbie
olddave

[Solved] Nic drivers

#1 Post by olddave »

Moved from Puppy 3.01 to 4.2 and now the Network Wizard does not a driver for my laptop or "Big" machine. Is there any way I can copy the drivers from version 3.01 to 4.2? I really like 4.2 and would like to "install" it on both machines.
Last edited by olddave on Wed 17 Jun 2009, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

Good question olddave. It might just work. Especially when the kernel versions are the same, as they might be with the retro thru this range of Puppy versions.

As you can imagine none can answer with certainty especially in the absence of knowing what drivers you are talking about.

Try it.

olddave

#3 Post by olddave »

Well, that is the question, how? The ethernet driver I specifically need for the laptop is:

Ethernet module 3c59x

Many thanks for the help BruceB.

I forgot to mention that I'm a noobie.

olddave

#4 Post by olddave »

Please forgive me. I've been working on a number of projects and have gotten somewhat confused. The driver is present 3c59x but when I run the wizard and it does the DHCP to get an ip address it gets stuck. So I guess the problem is actually with the DHCP. The wizard shows and active net work. Everything works fine in Puppy 3.1.

Note: Problem solved! I setup the router with the wrong ip address range. Changed from 169.254.x.x to 192.168.x.x. Now DHCP in Puppy 4.2 works flawlessly.