(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 30 Sep 2020, 23:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Request: Opera 10 beta .pet for 4.1.2
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Artie

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun 2009, 14:01    Post subject:  Request: Opera 10 beta .pet for 4.1.2  

http://www.opera.com/browser/next/
I would really appreciate a .pet for this one that will work in 4.1.2. For some reason I haven't been able to get the update function to work.

Artie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 
synth

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun 2009, 19:06    Post subject:  

Qt 4.5.1 shared build coming up Smile
glassparrot

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun 2009, 19:53    Post subject: Here you go  

Here's one which I just tossed together. This installs opera in /opt/opera10beta - and all of its files are kept in that folder, instead of being strewn all through /usr and /etc (this is called a "static" version of the software).

Be very careful to back up all your personal data before uninstalling this beta version with the petget package manager... because when you do that, the /opt/opera10beta folder will be deleted, along with everything in it.

Download the Opera 10 beta pet here.

If anyone is not using joe's window manager, you may discover that you will need to manually create a menu link (and perhaps a desktop sticker). For this project, you will need the following information:

• The executable you need to run is /opt/opera10beta/opera.sh
  • The Opera brand icons you will need are in /opt/opera10beta/usr/share/icons/hicolor
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
glassparrot

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun 2009, 20:46    Post subject: Wow!
Subject description: I just want to share my elation with this particular build of Opera.

Wow... I am REALLY impressed with this version of the Opera software. It's the first time I've ever felt I've had a web browser on linux which was as responsive as browsers which I use under microsoft windows. This may make me want to use Puppy Linux a lot more, because I spend a lot of time on the internet.

I still wish it would adopt my XFCE theme for the menus, however. Synth, do you think that the "shared" version will give me proper menu theming?
MU

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun 2009, 21:19    Post subject:  

glassparrot,

Opera is based on Qt, while Xfce is based on Gtk.
So a completely different widgetset, and so the Xfce style cannot be used in Opera.
Your pet works fine in Newyearspup, thanks.
Even the menu looks ok.
In the static version, the menu is not antialiased, but has good font properties, this was different in the 9.x versions, where the fonts looked crippled.

Here is a screenshot showing the new visual tabs:
http://www.pro-linux.de/NB2/images/indiv/Speed_dial_background.png

Mark

synth

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jun 2009, 23:37    Post subject:  

Here's a screenshot of a Puppyfied version of the Qt 4.5.1 shared build:

glassparrot

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jun 2009, 01:50    Post subject:  

Thanks very much, as always, MU.
Artie

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jun 2009, 09:25    Post subject:  

I'm very confused. Static or shared, qt 4.5.1 or gtk doesn't help me at all. I am using Puppy 4.1.2 please give me a link to the version that looks prettiest, has the prettiest (antialiased) fonts in menus and everywhere and will work best. Thanks.

Artie
ICQ Number 
glassparrot

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jun 2009, 13:30    Post subject:  

Artie, it's right there in my post above. Download the pet, and you're good to go. It works fine under Puppy 4.12. I've tested it.

I apologise for talking shop. The point I was making in that post, was that this pet that I created is designed so it won't disturb your previous installation of opera.
Artie

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jun 2009, 16:33    Post subject:  

Thank you very much! Smile I have downloaded it and it seems to work fine so far. Nothing serious, just a question: The menus are gray and seem to be of a different style than the rest of Opera and choices like Select All don't seem to react to the mouse going over them like tabs do? Nothing important just wondered. Thanks.

Artie
ICQ Number 
MU

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jun 2009, 16:42    Post subject:  

Menu
you can set a different theme in "tools - appearance", this also affects the menu color.

In addition I did this:
Tools - preferences - advanced - shortcuts
Keyboard setup - Opera standard - edit
Application - F5

Here I replaced "Reload" with : "Enable menu bar | Disable menu bar"

Now I can hide/show the menu bar by pressing F5.

The default "Alt F11" did not work for me.

Mark

glassparrot

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jun 2009, 22:27    Post subject:  

Artie... I was also concerned about the menus; in fact, that's just how they are. You'll see that they highlight when your mouse button is down, but not while it is up.

Mark says that you can change the menu colors with the "Appearances..." panel. Actually with a standard Puppy Linux build, that's not the case. Those will stay gray and awkward. I think that if you change over to the KDE window manager (there are instructions and SFS files for that purpose in various places on this bulletin board), you will see opera menus which look prettier.
MU

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jun 2009, 07:37    Post subject:  

I attach an example.
Not every theme looks nice in the new opera, especially the visual tabs.
I just tested it in newyearspup, but the result should be the same in others, as Qt is statically compiled into opera.

wait... you're right, if I open a menu, it always has the same light-grey color, just the menubar itself is themed.

Mark
opera.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   65.61 KB
 Viewed   2375 Time(s)

opera.jpg

`f00

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jun 2009, 09:10    Post subject:
Subject description: yep

Haven't tried this new beta yet, but ...

Building an opera skin (more info here) isn't quite trivial, but offers some benefits .. Pesala's pages are (that one in particular is good for drag'n'drop buttons) a good source for tips in the Opera community. Generally I simply take a compact skin and a few buttons to get the desired ui .. there was a link to a Polymer theme pet for modifying the 'subskin' or visual style that dropmenus and such displayed in, but the dl never completed for me so I can't verify it.

Definitely I never did like the overly large tab-buttons nor the monochromatic icon scheme since 9.5, it was nice to revisit and do a fresh profile on a 9.25 pet in P216 Smile

__note - some buttons may or may not work 'as expected' in the beta, one can always try opera's own forum for more details Wink
DaveS

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jun 2009, 12:18    Post subject:  

This Opera is one I like very much. It even renders the webcam at Courchevel correctly, the first Linux Opera to do so. Thanks for the .pet. I like the simple install too, making it easy to move out of the _save file and symlink back. It is very fast and I am even getting to like the inbuilt mail. BUT BUT BUT, how can I change the top menu and drop down menu font please? They display really poorly on my laptop screen. I have ploughed through all the style sheets and config files I can find, but still cant find what I need to edit
Help Please?

Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: