How to Do a Dual-Boot Install of Puppy with Windows XP

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
rcrsn51

#31 Post by rcrsn51 »

There are two issues with Win7:

1. You need to split off a new partition for Puppy. When Win7 first came out, there were reports that Gparted could corrupt Windows, and it was safer to do the partitioning with Windows' own Admin tools.

Recently, I finally got to try this and discovered that Windows would not let me resize a "live" Windows partition (which makes sense). So I took a chance and did it with Gparted. It worked fine. But this was a vanilla Windows install.

2. Your new Puppy GRUB menu.lst file assumes that Windows is in the first partition - sda1 or (hd0,0) in Grub-speak. If you have a recovery partition, Windows will probably be in (hd0,1). So you will need to modify your menu.lst. Look for it in the folder /boot/grub.

tpadesihelp

#32 Post by tpadesihelp »

I have researched the other ways of dual booting.

Using the EasyBCD for Windows 7 as outlined by rcrsn51 after installing a puppy partition with GRUB bootloader seems to me as extra effort.

This 'XP' method appears to be very straightforward and in case of changing one's mind is easy to remove.

Thus my question is what am I missing? I don't think I am seeing the whole picture yet

Thanks

rcrsn51

#33 Post by rcrsn51 »

tpadesihelp wrote:Thus my question is what am I missing? I don't think I am seeing the whole picture yet
In the post above yours, I have described the issues with Win7. If you have already created a Puppy partition and Win7 still works, there shouldn't be a problem with this method.

akshatmittal

older system

#34 Post by akshatmittal »

It was mentioned in the beginning that this would not work on some older machines in which bios cannot boot from the far end of a hard drive.
Is there any way to check if my laptop can handle this method?

mcewanw

#35 Post by mcewanw »

rcrsn51 wrote:There are two issues with Win7:

1. You need to split off a new partition for Puppy. When Win7 first came out, there were reports that Gparted could corrupt Windows, and it was safer to do the partitioning with Windows' own Admin tools.

Recently, I finally got to try this and discovered that Windows would not let me resize a "live" Windows partition (which makes sense). So I took a chance and did it with Gparted. It worked fine. But this was a vanilla Windows install.
Well, I just resized my Windows 7 ntfs partition using Win7 resize partition tool whilst it was running, and it worked fine at least on this netbook running Win7 starter. The main windows partition on this Acer netbook machine is actually /dev/sda3, which is what I shrunk prior to creating an ext4 partition on new partition /dev/sda4. Prior to that I was installing Puppy frugals directly onto the /dev/sda3 ntfs partition and booting with grub4dos per the method described in ICPUG's Lin'N'Win website pages for Win7. I'm still using that grub4dos arrangement to boot the new Linux installs I have made to /dev/sda4.
github mcewanw

as77

#36 Post by as77 »

No reading of instructions required using these:

https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux ... _Installer

In Windows: select the right Puppy - download - doubleclick. That's it.

mikeb

#37 Post by mikeb »

yes the win32 installer is a good one.

Another way recently retested with a windows 7 laptop is to rename bootmgr to bootwin, name grldr to bootmgr and replace... make a menu.lst with yer pup and have chainloader /bootwin ...thats the basic gist...no touching mbr, simple and works.
Could add a frugal pup to avoid repartitioning...

Just rename the original bootmgr to restore the original windows boot.

mike

gyro

#38 Post by gyro »

A vote in favour of using windows to shrink it's ntfs C: partition to provide a Linux partition for puppies.

Twice, using Windows 8, I've shrunk the active C: partition, without any problem.
Once I shrunk a different ntfs partition, and the only problem I had is that it complained that it didn't have enough space. But I simply reduced the amount of shrinkage I was requesting until it worked.
So using windows to shrink an ntfs partition is for the faint harted.

Once I used gparted to shrink the C: partition of a Windows XP machine. Next boot of XP required a chkdsk. I would never do this again.

The other thing I would never do again, is run puppy off an ntfs partition, with save files on the ntfs partition.
For many years I did this on my XP machine. It got to the point where every time I booted back to XP, I wondered if I would need to do a chkdsk this time.

Now I have a Windows 8 laptop, with an ext4 partition on the end that contains all my puppies. I boot using grub4dos on an sdcard, (the laptop sees this as a usb device). I boot windows by getting grub4dos to reboot using the MBR of the hard drive, (or remove the sdcard, and reboot).
The Windows install remains pristine, and puppy runs off a Linux partition.

gyro

mikeb

#39 Post by mikeb »

It got to the point where every time I booted back to XP, I wondered if I would need to do a chkdsk this time

welll puppy does not cleanly unmount the partition its uses so that could end up setting the dirty flag on NTFS...perhaps why there are those cautionary notes relating to that file system...this happens if I use puppy on ext3 and I access from windows too...same effectm same cause. The solution for me is the sfs save so puppy is totally in ram so any partitions are free to cleanly unmount when shutting down....problem solved in that case.

You could rewrite the initrd but then you would have to call it Slax :D

mike