TEENpup 2009 Legacy available for Download

News, happenings
cichlasoma

#106 Post by cichlasoma »

Hello, John!
Thanks a lot for your advices! (BTW, as for me, I'm new to linux, yet I know how to comment out a command in a script :-) )
If I may ask a question more, I'd like to know, whether it's possible to set my default file manager to be konqueror insted of rox.

(Really looking forward to see TEENpup 2010 released...)

LuckyLucciano

Tank´s ans questions

#107 Post by LuckyLucciano »

Hi, my name is Federico and i´m from Argentina, I don´t write weel english because I never go to learn it, so, sorry for my middle-little-spanglish! :roll:
First at all, a wish to tank you for make this amazing pupplet, it´s a really, really good work!!
In second place, I have some questions in my head:
*It is posible to install a .pet and chage the lenguaje on chooselocal? I tried and later TEENpup don´t work any more.
*It is posible to install any .pet, like games or aplications?
*You know if TEENpup is compatible with Sond Blaster cards?

Well, once more time, TANK´S YOU!!!

LuckyLucciano
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Traduccion:
Hola, mi nombre es Federico y soy de Argentina, no escribo muy bien en ingles porque nunca fui a aprender, por eso disculpen mi cuasi-spanglish! :?
Primero quiero agradecerte por hacer este maravilloso Pupplet, es un muy, muy buen trabajo!
En segundo lugar tengo algunas preguntas en mi cabeza:
*Es posible instalar un .pet y cambiar el lenguaje desde chooselocal? Yo lo intente y luego TEENpup no volvio a andar.
*Es posible instalar cualquier .pet, como juegos o aplicaciones?
*Sabes si TEENpup es compatible con tarjetas Sound Blaster?

Bueno, una vez mas, MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!

LuckyLucciano

pinguino

#108 Post by pinguino »

john biles wrote:Hello pinguino,
mjpegtools is looking for version libpthread 2.3.3 when TEENpup's version is 2.3.5 which normally should still work?
You may need to experiment with replacing mjpegtools with another version that hopefully will use the version of libpthread included in TEENpup.

If it was me I'd run TEENpup live and do a little experimenting by install this dotpup see link http://www.dotpups.de/dotpups/Multimedia/ and look do the list till you see mjpegtools

If someone else has a better solution with a way to trick mjpegtools into using the version of libpthread included in TEENpup, please post it here.
Hi John:

I tried the other versions of Teenpup with no success ( Teenup 2008, 2.00, 2.14). They all show the same GLIBC issue compatibility.
I also installed mjpegtools-1.8.0 from the above site (dotpup.de) and no success.
Is there a .pet to upgrade to GLIBC 2.3.5?. I really like all the multimedia tools included in your distribution and is a pitty not to get working mjpegtools.

Thanks,
Pinguino.

Mic67

#109 Post by Mic67 »

I downloaded this pup 24 hrs ago.

I have a one word review.

WOW.

Thanks Mic56

ps. I have 5 meg dsl and it was 100x faster than dialup

djdante

#110 Post by djdante »

I'm really eager to give this a whirl on my macbook (1 year old), but am still in the throes of trying to get the network card recognized on puppy linux 4.x
Given the use of an older puppy linux base, should I just presume that hardware recognition is going to be even worse? Or is it a much more complicated beast than that? I ask because my trackpad works in puppy 4.2 but not 4.3.

Also, can I use sfs3 and sfs4 files? Or do I have to download new sfs2 ones? Any backward conversion available for those?

edit: How do I tell it to load the entire cd into ram?

john biles

#111 Post by john biles »

Hello djdante,
As TEENpup 2009 Legacy is based on Puppy 2.14 which came out in March 2007, you most likely will find it worst with your network card. Only experimenting with give you an answer.
If you have say 1GB of Ram then TEENpup will load itself fully in your ram and you will be able to eject the CD and use your CD Drive. If you have say 512MB's of ram, TEENpup won't be able to fit so it will only run live from your CD Drive.

As for sfs you will need to use ones made for Puppy 2.14. You can try renaming other 2 Puppy series sfs and experiment.

Do all your testing while running live. That way if you break anything just reboot.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

ttuuxxx

#112 Post by ttuuxxx »

john biles wrote:Hello djdante,

As for sfs you will need to use ones made for Puppy 2.14. You can try renaming other 2 Puppy series sfs and experiment.
You could use my sfs converter I made up for 2.14X, It converts 2,3,4,5 series SFS
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 434#347434
just rename it to what ever extension by default it makes it program_214R.sfs, but if you don't use the "R" then just rename it. Or and edit
<action>exec rxvt -e /usr/bin/mksquashfs /root/squashfs-root newsfs_214R.sfs </action>
and change it to
<action>exec rxvt -e /usr/bin/mksquashfs /root/squashfs-root newsfs_214.sfs </action>
located in /root/SfS-converter/Convert-SfS/AppRun
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Pete22

Install Teenpup?

#113 Post by Pete22 »

Hello John,

I wanted to install teenpup, but I could not find an installer. Does it have one? If so where is it? Or do you only want us to only use it as a live CD.?

Pete22

ragaman

#114 Post by ragaman »

To install, click on Setup>Puppy Universal Installer.

Pete22

Great! Thanks!

#115 Post by Pete22 »

Not sure how I missed it.

Pete22

gozen

#116 Post by gozen »

John Biles thank me newbie from Indonesia and is very happy with teenpup2009 legacy(sorry my english bad) :D

gozen

#117 Post by gozen »

my machine compaq deskpro pIII 1ghz ram 256 vga 32 onboad :D

Diggs

#118 Post by Diggs »

I've seen a few references from other posters, but it seems my trials and tribulations with the xserver in TEENpup are not common. I can boot to RAM on the Live CD, do a hard drive format and full install, but booting back to TEENpup on the hard drive is only about 50% successsful as the Xserver fails. Even if I make it on the first reboot after install, it is just a matter of time before the Xserver fails. Usually I try to run Xorg and have to fall back to Xvesa and even it occasionally fails. Even running the tweaks, testing and editing xorg does not help. The system is very mainstream-

Pentium III 700 Mghz, 384 MB RAM, Nvidia FX5200 video

I have installed another 4-5 pups and never see the video problems I see in TEENpup. (I format the drive and MBR between each install.) I wanted a complete OS for an older system with many bells and whistles which is why I tried TEENpup, but for the life of me I cannot get the video stable in this distro.

john biles

#119 Post by john biles »

Hello Diggs,
All my test PC's except for one with an old 32MB graphics card only have the onboard graphics and have never had a problem with TEENpup 2009 Legacy. Have you tried Puppy 2.14 on which TEENpup is based?

With close to 35,000 downloads of TEENpup 2009 Legacy from Softpedia, the reported amount of users having trouble seems low.

If anyone using the Nvidia FX5200 video graphics card can provide any help please do so. You could try finding and installing the xorg version 7.1 pet or was it version 7.3? that was around awhile ago.

Good Luck.

Diggs

#120 Post by Diggs »

john biles wrote:Hello Diggs,
All my test PC's except for one with an old 32MB graphics card only have the onboard graphics and have never had a problem with TEENpup 2009 Legacy. Have you tried Puppy 2.14 on which TEENpup is based?
Good Luck.
No, I have not tried any early Puppys and like I said, I didn't see other comments about this issue either. TEENpup would be the earliest pup version I have tried and I think that is what is the problem. Meaning, an early version of Puppy is not agreeing with my computer, not TEENpup in itself. All the other puplets I have tried were much later versions (4.x). I pulled out a very old bootable copy I have of Gparted (based of an early version of Gentoo) and it also would not boot into the Xorg xserver and I had to wrestle it into Xvesa.. Seems to be something particular to that machine and early pups. Hmmmm......

Dang - TEENpup appeared to be just what I was looking for too.

Thanks-

skinnie

#121 Post by skinnie »

Hi,first of all thanks for this great puppy :)
It works almost out of the box on my pc!
Although I have some "problems"

1st- I have an a4tech wineasy 4d serial ps2 mouse connected to a com port via a com to ps2 adapter,I changed xorg.conf and it works,but in the next boot it changes to ps2 again..

2nd -the suggestions on the boot appear always,even if I thick the box to don't do it.

3rd - my soundcard is not working,I think it is due to the version of alsa..I already ran alsa wizard,it detected but no sound..it is an audiotrack prodigy 7.1 pci (via envy24ht chip) - it works good in puppy 4.3 if it helps...any chance of getting a pup or pet with latest alsa or something?

Thanks for making an legacy machine working fast again :)
PS:Noobie questions:
How do I "update" pupteen?
How do I put the desktop icons organized?

Thanks again :)
AMD K6-3 450MHz-FIC VA503+ (Via MVP3 Chipset,JE4333 Bios)-2x128Mb PC133-3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 16Mb AGP-Seagate 40Gb HDD-TDK880N DVD Burner-Ali 6 USB 2.0 PCI Card-ISA 3C509b Nic - ISA Reveal RA300 Fm Card - Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 PCI (Envy24-HT)

ttuuxxx

#122 Post by ttuuxxx »

skinnie wrote:Hi,first of all thanks for this great puppy :)

1st- I have an a4tech wineasy 4d serial ps2 mouse connected to a com port via a com to ps2 adapter,I changed xorg.conf and it works,but in the next boot it changes to ps2 again..

2nd -the suggestions on the boot appear always,even if I thick the box to don't do it.

3rd - my soundcard is not working,I think it is due to the version of alsa..I already ran alsa wizard,it detected but no sound..it is an audiotrack prodigy 7.1 pci (via envy24ht chip) - it works good in puppy 4.3 if it helps...any chance of getting a pup or pet with latest alsa or something?

you can try http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/ttuuxxx/2.14series/alsa/

basically install all the packages and restart your Xserver or reboot your pc and then setup alsa
username:puppy
password:linux

ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

skinnie

#123 Post by skinnie »

ttuuxxx wrote:
skinnie wrote:Hi,first of all thanks for this great puppy :)

you can try http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/ttuuxxx/2.14series/alsa/

basically install all the packages and restart your Xserver or reboot your pc and then setup alsa
username:puppy
password:linux

ttuuxxx
thanks a lot ttuuxxx,I'll give it a try this weekend..
Any tips on the other questions?
AMD K6-3 450MHz-FIC VA503+ (Via MVP3 Chipset,JE4333 Bios)-2x128Mb PC133-3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 16Mb AGP-Seagate 40Gb HDD-TDK880N DVD Burner-Ali 6 USB 2.0 PCI Card-ISA 3C509b Nic - ISA Reveal RA300 Fm Card - Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 PCI (Envy24-HT)

Laie

#124 Post by Laie »

On my notebook I have XP :cry: installed on sda1 (NTFS) and teenpup 2009 frugal on sda3 (ext2). Trying to mount sda1 I get a message "NTFS WARNING":

Code: Select all

The ntfs-3g driver was unable to mount the NTFS
partition and returned this error message:
fusermount: mountpoint is not empty
fusermount: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option
Retrying mount ...
fusermount: mountpoint is not empty
fusermount: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option
Failed to mount NTFSUnmounting /dev/sda1 (BOOT)

So, the inbuilt kernel NTFS driver has been used
to mount the partition read-only.
This is inconvenient.
I tried chkdsk, I defragmented c:, no success.
Other puppies are able to mount sda1 read-write.
What can I do?

john biles

#125 Post by john biles »

I've never had a problem mounting and transferring data between XP and TEENpup? Don't have an answer?