TEENpup 2009 Legacy available for Download

News, happenings
Artie

#31 Post by Artie »

Thanks for the suggestion but I have no idea how to change the opera.sh icon.

Artie

ttuuxxx

#32 Post by ttuuxxx »

john biles wrote:Hello Artie,
You need to change the icon in opt/opera10beta/opera.sh, not the desktop and then drag it to the desktop.

To those having trouble with SATA drives all that I can say is that the same problems that effect Puppy 2.14 will effect TEENpup. I don't believe I modified anything that would cause this problem?

Hi John don't bother looking for SataDvd fix for 2.14 it just doesn't work, It would of been a kernel module, The only early 2 series that SataDvd worked on was 2.14R, and now the continued updated 2.14.1X that I've been working on. even have glibc 2.5 and the latest glib,gtk etc on it, So Firefox 3.5 and flash ten runs perfect on it. When I'm finished it could make a nice teenpup future base.
ttuuxxx

Ps your latest version looks really nice, Great Job on it John :wink:
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

john biles

#33 Post by john biles »

Hello ttuuxxx,
Thank you for the info on SATA Drives, this will answer alot of questions for those having trouble. I'm looking forward to your updated Puppy 2.14R.
Having glibc 2.5 and your other improvements will open up a lot of extra opportunities for the next release of TEENpup. Thank you!
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

joaorafaeldp

Pup

#34 Post by joaorafaeldp »

I Want to now if tennpup 2009 can uses .pup and .pet ?
thanks

kayan

#35 Post by kayan »

@wdm
thanks for the grub entry. :)

@vg1
psubdir will not work with teenpup [p214]
do you mean to say that Teen pup will not work in sub dir but should have a separate partition to work? :(
[color=blue]SAHARA laptop intel celeron M 1.4 GHz/ 768Mb Ram /40GB ,SIS 661 chipset,[/color]

puponmanyoldlaptops

TEENpup 2009 Legacy available for Download

#36 Post by puponmanyoldlaptops »

Hello, John and all. One of my older (Pentium III Dell) computers booted beautifully with Legacy here at home. This Puppy will be shared with the converts in my circle. =^)

I'm beyond impressed with this work. Great graphics, superb program-list, and despite the full-size of the Distro, it's a perfect compliment to the Puppy family.

It's great that the older systems still have a support-base with this robust and full-featured operating system, and I thank and compliment you on the hard work you've done to keep it so.

With the recent pricing found on some auction sites for Pentium III computers, (featuring free shipping), this concept of affordable allows far more people access to very useful technology for very little money.

Thank you.

All the best,
puponmanyoldlaptops

john biles

#37 Post by john biles »

Hello puponmanyoldlaptops,
Thank you for your comments. I too don't want to see perfectly usable Pentium III PC's end up in landfill.

Hello joaorafaeldp,
TEENpup allows you to install both pup and pet packages. Just be aware that pet packages created for the Puppy 3 and 4 series won't always work because of TEENpup being based on the Puppy 2 series. As always try any pup or pet while running live to confirm it works as expected.

gheramagni

TEENpup 2009

#38 Post by gheramagni »

Hi,

I tried to boot with the the iso downloaded from puppulinux.org and cannot boot, same situation but with a different error with the iso got from softpedia.

I will post tomorrow the two errors.

No problems of running other puppy official (4.0 series) and derivatives on my old P III 1 ghz, 768 mb RAMh on Asus cuple VM motherboard with Zenwalk 6.0 on hd installed.

thanks a lot anyway

Gherardo

vg1

#39 Post by vg1 »

Kayan,

well, not necessarily its own partition, but the files have to be on root. Teenpup [and p214] will not work from a folder. Psubdir was only implemented from p216 [and p214R].
There are ways around it if you must have it in a directory. Read about it here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=165 and here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2&start=41, or search for my other posts on the subject.

vg

richard.a

#40 Post by richard.a »

markofkane wrote:Edit: "Cannot find Puppy on 'ideCD' boot media" :(
Sounds like you are using a SATA CD Drive to me.

Edit
I have proved that this is the case with my only SATA drive box; I'm looking at a work-around if one is possible, the results of which will be posted to the next page. Fingers crossed lol
/Edit

I have one machine that has SATA - a very large HDD and a DVD writer. I get this every time I try and run an early pup on it.

Brand new MSI mobo with Intel stuff on it, in a spare "Leader" case someone took the guts out of.

BTW just downloaded the ISO and haven't yet burned.

John I have a bunch of older computers so when I get it running, I'll report back.

Richard in Adelaide
recovering from continual coughing but I'm not going oink-oink yet :)
Last edited by richard.a on Sun 21 Jun 2009, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

john biles

#41 Post by john biles »

Hello richard.a,
Feedback on what Hardware TEENpup runs on would be good. As for the coughing, my wife and a few other people I know are suffering the same thing.

noprob

TEENpup 2009

#42 Post by noprob »

Thx. John for another wonderful distro/flavor of Puppy Linux to use on older computers. :D

richard.a

#43 Post by richard.a »

john biles wrote:Hello richard.a,
Feedback on what Hardware TEENpup runs on would be good.
As promised, I have replaced the previous post with my evaluation of about half a dozen different desktop hardware items (mostly old) and two laptops, all old - in live mode. I've tried it so far on a bunch of them.

Evaluation:
Here are the results of my testing of TEENpup2009, in Live mode, on a bunch of boxes...
Throughout I used an H-P M900 19-inch precision monitor (2000 vintage) - previously used for AutoCAD - and scanner checks used a Canoscan USB N670U (Plustek) in all 3 scanner software applications provided on two or three of the computers only.

======================
Laptop 1 - Toshiba Satellite T1800 - Celeron 896 with 256 (max) SD RAM, Swap partition 933Mb
XP Home native. approx 7 or 8 years old at a guess.
video Trident video accel CyberBlade XP Ai1 v6.4020.22ICD onboard

TEENpup2009legacy Live pfix=RAM stalled probing Xorg and Xvesa
TEENpup2008 Live pfix=RAM stalled probing Xorg and Xvesa
IRQPOLL boot parameter tried also, no difference.
The earliest puppy I have ever got running on this laptop was ver4 - Macpup 4.11, and vanilla 4.12 installed along with LinuxMint Cassandra 3.x with kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
It has also run Sun JavaDesktopSystem v2 (based on SuSE 8.1) and PCLinuxOS2007.

======================
Laptop 2 - Toshiba Satellite T2140 K6-2 450 with 128 (max) EDO RAM, Swap partition 643Mb
win98 Home native originally, perhaps 10 to 12 years old,
system removed and larger HDD fitted.
not sure what audio onboard,
NIC in PCMCIA is bad news on many Linuxes.
S3 Virge VX video onboard 800x600 LCD,

TEENpup2009legacy Live pfix=RAM kernel panic could not complete loading huge .sfs existing, runs ReactOS (Alpha), Puppy 4.12, Vesta 3.01, have tried several others.
Desktop in Xorg at 640x480 only, and works in XVesa at 800x600 (and 1024x768 for external monitor support). IRQPOLL boot parameter needed.

======================
Laptop 3 - Twinhead pentium 250M MMX/64 (max RAM) EDO RAM
Desktop 800x600 and 1024x768 for external monitor
Not yet tried, suspect insufficient RAM. support.

======================
Desktop 1 - Compaq Presario 3200 slim desktop/minitower Celeron 700 MHz 256Mb SD Swap 1020Mb
video onboard audio onboard PCI NIC not known
Everything worked for TEENpup2009legacy

======================
Desktop 2 - Compaq Evo D51S slim desktop/minitower Celeron 2 GHz 760Mb DDR Swap 1020Mb
Intel video onboard SoundMAX audio onboard IntelPRO ethernet onboard

======================
Desktop 3 - HP Pavilion 6617 compact minitower Celeron 566 MHz 256Mb SD Swap 1020Mb
intel video onboard intel audio onboard NIC PCI Realtek works on earlier pups
if another NIC works, then this would likely be a goer. Everything else seems to work.

======================
IBM Aptiva K6-2 380/196M SD 803Mb swap, BIOS date 1999
video ATI Mach64 with 8Mb of RAM onboard
audio onboard
Runs 2.14 with EZ-pup upgrade
Karamba desktop widgets slab crashes on launch.
Everything worked for TEENpup2009legacy apart from Karamba, may be fixable

======================
IBM Netvista (Aptiva mini-tower in black) Celeron 766/256M SD 803Mb swap, BIOS 1999
video SiS 630 Display onboard
Realtek RTL8139 NIC onboard
audio SiS 7018 (AC97) onboard (not in ALSA database) (No sound)
(412 config's Trident audio out of choice of 4)
Runs up to 2.11 without IRQPOLL, needs IRQPOLL for later.
Apart from sound, everything worked for TEENpup2009legacy

======================
Homebuilt MSI KM266 with Athlon 1100MHz and 2x 512Mb sticks of DDR RAM, swap
video S3 ProSavage onboard DDR
ethernet VIA Rhine onboard
audio Realtek onboard AC97/VIA

======================
Homebuilt MSI 64-bit K8MM-V with Sempron 2600+ and 2x 512Mb sticks of DDR RAM, swap
video VIA S3G IniChrome Pro
ethernet VIA Rhine onboard
audio VIA onboard (AC97)
start-up music theme looped
apart from this, everything worked for TEENpup2009legacy

======================
Observations
A nice usable distribution. The points below are not so much criticisms but points that may need attention and polish

1. KSnapshot is nice to have, if you have used it before. Gnome afficionadoes probably wouldn't agree :D

2. I had personal difficulties with maximised application windows as installed - browser is one example.

3. Some people may prefer 24hour clock time, and a help file on editing ice-wm prefs menu might help there. Also with the location of the Karamba slab menu - how to reposition it, change to 24hr clock, etc. I'll work something up shortly for this thread.

4. There seems no automatic selection of Karamba themes vs desktop size. I found out the hard way there are 3 provided by manually editing the default 1024x768 version of the config file to suit 1280x1024 - after doing the editing, lol. Windows users would have difficulty.

5. How easy is it to enable the window outline being shown when dragging?

6. I find the default filemanager is not easy to use. Glad to see MUT is a choice, and it is not in ver 4.

7. Realplayer says it needs wget installed to complete setup. Using VLC instead works nicely for .ra and .rm files.

8. Pure-FTPd server does not set up correctly (nor on 4.1, and 2.14R1), whereas I never had problems with BetaFTP. This seems to be an application-related problem, not the OS-related.

9. And of course, large pup_214.sfs (600megs) slows live operation down considerably, before you have the pup_save and .sfs on the HDD.

10. I could not find a locale setting on the menu. And I can't check it in console because I don't know the command to run lol :D

11. Important to note, exclusive to puppy later than 2.11 there are missing NIC drivers, so this isn't a TEENpup problem. I use 3com PCI NICs almost exclusively where no onboard exists, as do many other people because of their being easily obtained and inexpensive. I tried a Realtek NIC with the same result. I don't have any others.

12. note to/from me: added VNC Server (.pet) to complete the job; Audacity is already there.

Summary
Altogether an excellent job, John.
Thank you so much for all your hard work; it's really good.

Also I put a post on the green tech girl's website at http://greentechgirl.com/e-waste/puppy- ... omment-353

Thank you, John
Last edited by richard.a on Sat 20 Jun 2009, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

barney67

impossible to boot on my sempron pc

#44 Post by barney67 »

hello ,

I'd really like to try TEENpup too , but the 1st boot halts part way.

i ve verified the md5sum and it's ok

but impossible for my pc to boot , dommage

amd sempron 2300+ , 1.58 GHz , 1 GB of ram

richard.a

#45 Post by richard.a »

barney67 bonjour mon ami.

Can you give us any technical information about your computer. Maybe model number and maker of the "box", hein?

This may help us as we try to help.

Richard en Australie

puppyluvr

#46 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
@Hey John,
Congrats on the reception Teenpup `09 is receiving!!!
#1 D/L on Softpedia!!!

Mic67

#47 Post by Mic67 »

@Hey John,
Congrats on the reception Teenpup `09 is receiving!!!
#1 D/L on Softpedia!!!

-------------------

When you get to a certain age you find it important to let people know what you think!!

Good Job....much appreciated. Objective sufficently achieved.

Mic67

TheProphet

#48 Post by TheProphet »

Cool.

I've already got TEENpup 2008 installed but have been using 2009 for the past few days. I especially was happy that my mostest favorite game of all time is installed by default, Minesweeper.

How do I install it as a "version upgrade" which I've not done on Puppy yet? Point me to the tutorial. (I know there is one)

This one is a contender that will blow Windoze' s--errr "Stuff" in the weeds.

I can see absolutely nothing the Win users usually complain about.

Molte Bravissimo.

And I take it that it won't install readily on SCSI...
He who skydive without parachute, jumps to own conclusion.

john biles

#49 Post by john biles »

Hello richard.a,
Thank you for all the testing you've done, it must have taken hours! It shows that TEENpup only suits a number of PC's and Laptops out there. I have a 2001 Compaq Presario 1200 with 800Mhz Pentium III and TEENpup works fine on that.
It saddens me to see all those Users who are having downloaded TEENpup and it doesn't work on their PC's. I know I'm not alone as some of the Big names in Linux haven't worked on my equipment either.

Hello TheProphet,
As TEENpup 2009 Legacy is still based on Puppy 2.14 like TEENpup 2008 was, it may be not upgradeable. you may have to save your important files on an external Hard drive or another partition and wipe 2008 and install 2009. If someone has a better trick for this please let us know.

richard.a

#50 Post by richard.a »

Post reserved for comments.

What I'm doing is to attempt to install on another machine and then copy the files to the machine with SATA drives. Then provide the files as a web download.

Puppy will normally work this way - with copying between IDE drives because of the magnificently simple configuration procedure. I do it all the time.

I have also done it with ver 9.3 SuSE (with its YaST configurator) and Linspire 4.5, 5.0 and 5.1 extremely successfully, all because of user-friendly re-configuration, of which the Linspire one is the easiest. You merely pick a menu item in Grub :)

It works between IDE computers in both the pup_save and the install type 2 to partition modes.

It may take a couple of days. Keep you posted.

Richard