TEENpup 2009 Legacy available for Download

News, happenings
pinguino

#91 Post by pinguino »

Hi John:

I became a regular user of Teenpup, you have done a great work!

I'm trying to use an old DC10 capture card to convert old VHS tapes to DVD, but the command lavrec that cames with mjpegtools claims missing libraries:

sh-3.00# lavrec: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version GLIBC_2.3.3 not found

should I have to install something else?

Thanks,

alex

john biles

#92 Post by john biles »

Hello pinguino,
mjpegtools is looking for version libpthread 2.3.3 when TEENpup's version is 2.3.5 which normally should still work?
You may need to experiment with replacing mjpegtools with another version that hopefully will use the version of libpthread included in TEENpup.

If it was me I'd run TEENpup live and do a little experimenting by install this dotpup see link http://www.dotpups.de/dotpups/Multimedia/ and look do the list till you see mjpegtools

If someone else has a better solution with a way to trick mjpegtools into using the version of libpthread included in TEENpup, please post it here.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

runtt21

#93 Post by runtt21 »

Try making a link to 2.3.5 and name the link 2.3.3 .
[url]http://macpup.org/runtt21[/url]

ragaman

#94 Post by ragaman »

Second the motion, runtt.

Command is:

ln -s (path and name of library Teenpup has) (path and name of library that YOU APP need)

Correct me, if I'm wrong.

luig1

#95 Post by luig1 »

To install it to the hard drive I have to partion it to ext2 or ext3 and a swap pation then which I got all correct. So do I install the bootload to the mbr or do install it to the partion and use fdisk to set it to boot?

Edit 1: Attempting to re install after fresh format from last attempt.

Edit 2: I got it up and running by installing grub to a diskette. The only problem I'm having is the sound I gues I gotta configure something.

john biles

#96 Post by john biles »

Hello Choco21,
I see you have just joined the forum, welcome.

You don't give enough info in your post for anyone to help you.

Does TEENpup run live from the CD on your PC?
If so are you trying to install it next to Windows on the same Hard Drive or is TEENpup getting the whole Hard Drive for itself?

What are the specifications of your PC EG: Came with Windows 98 Pentium III how much ram that kind of stuff. I'm going to work (Job) soon so won't be able to provide any answers till tomorrow. Can anyone else help while I'm away.

Familyman

Help!: Installing applications using Wine

#97 Post by Familyman »

John,

Kudos to your clear and logical thought while designing this superb distro! It does meet its intended objective of being a complete OS for those looking for an alternative to Windows - especially booting off a 1MB SD card for me. Btw: I had to learn the trick of modifying "syslinux.cfg" with "PMEDIA=usbcard" from the dialogues on this forum. And then I replaced the "initrd.gz" with another (based on Linux 3.1) from the puplet Whitefang that worked on my desktop to finally get going.

I have come to your distro by trying out PuppyLinux official 4.2.1 release on my Eee PC and then wanted to have a similar OS for my Desktop on my 64 MB CF card for which Whitefang worked.

It was then that I wanted to go the whole hog and liked the look of the desktop with what seemed a comprehensive collection of apps - therefore chose Teenpup Legacy 2009 which worked for my Eee PC (bit of a struggle and searching the Net for getting the atl2 drivers install and be recognised).

Now that it works on my desktop I wanted to install Fashion Cents 1.5.1 on the Linux desktop as my wife just loves the game (somehow Win XP MCE with SP3 will not allow it to run - used to work on SP2).

I proceeded to carefully read the Wikka on Wine and thought it should help me to run this app on Teenpup. But it is only DOSBox that comes up and I am left helpless.

Wonder if you have any thoughts/tips? :idea:

ONCE MORE A BIG THANK YOU! :D

~FamilyMan~

john biles

#98 Post by john biles »

Hello Familyman,
If you go to http://www.dotpups.de/dotpups/Emulators/ you will find wine version 9.17 which was the last version of wine that worked correctly with 2009 legacy.
A while ago someone discovered that if you installed wine 9.17 and then installed wine version I believe it was 1.0 wine over the top of 9.17, 1.0 would work. It wasn't the proper thing to do but it appeared to work.

Now as always I recommend you experiment with this idea while running TEENpup live before upsetting your installed version.

One other trick is to see if there's an older version of the game you want to play as it might run with wine 9.17 while a latter version doesn't.

TEENpup 2010 Mini is getting closer to release and is based on Puppy 4.2.1 which means that latter versions of Wine should run fine with it.

I hope you find TEENpup a usable version of Linux for most day to day tasks one needs a PC for.

Familyman

#99 Post by Familyman »

Dear John,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I did manage to get Wine successfully up and running on the frugal install of the official PuppyLinux kernel 4.20 using the .sfs file saved to my Hard Drive and selecting the .sfs to run at boot from Boot Manager.

I will check out the game install at home.

Meanwhile I did try out the 100 MB games pack by following the instructions given by you for the TeenPup Legacy 2009 frugal install. I could not get any reaction by clicking on "fixmenus" in /usr/sbin. I used run terminal here and typed "fixmenus" which did show 2 lines of icewm, ... menus fixed. But I could not find the game pack anywhere in the menus.

I could see through the file manager that the files have been expanded/extracted successfully and in fact a few like "Starfighter" even had their icon displayed. But clicking it was of no avail.

Mebbe it is something elementary but being a Linux newbie I cannot get the hang of it.

In keeping with your OS philosophy of a mega-XP alternative, I would like you to provide the functionality of the multiple programs in Teenpup Legacy 2009 for the new 2010 release also - mebbe as a .sfs file - since you are slimming down the distro.

~FamilyMan~

john biles

#100 Post by john biles »

Hello Familyman,
Placing the Games Pack in / and unpacking it in the standard TEENpup 2009 Legacy should result in all 11 games working. I don't know if installing wine or any other extra Applications has resulted in a Lib or some other file being deleted or overwritten with an incompatible version that is upsetting your games. Try booting up TEENpup live and installing the games pack and see if the games work. I've installed this games pack on 3 PC's at home with no problems. If you unpacked the games correctly, you should find gcompris, powermanga, kball, enigma, pingus, sabresdl, frozen bubbles, supertux, tuxtype and starfighter in /usr/games
If they are not there you have unpacked the games pack into the wrong directories.

As TEENpup 2010 Mini is based on Puppy 4.2.1, most if not all sfs that run on Puppy 4.2.1 should work with TEENpup. I don't plan to make any sfs apps myself.

pankajnagarkoti70

#101 Post by pankajnagarkoti70 »

To Sylvander and markofkane, I'm sorry to hear that TEENpup isn't booting for you.

pankajnagarkoti74

#102 Post by pankajnagarkoti74 »

I post little, but lurk lots - and I know there are teeming masses of us who are like-minded regarding your consumate expertise and consideration.
[url=http://myhostingbox.com]Best hosting[/url] | [url=http://thenetinfo.com]Web information[/url]

cichlasoma

#103 Post by cichlasoma »

Hi.
I confess I find TEENpup really impressive and would like to ask several questions.

Has anybody managed to connect Asus EEEPC 1000H to internet in TEENpup, either via ethernet or wifi (rt2860sta)? (Me not, even wrapped Windows drivers don't work, TEENpup detects no network interfaces.
Has anybody managed to boot TEENpup on EEEPC 1000H from CD in an external CD drive? I get "ERROR, cannot find Puppy on 'idecd' boot media."

Is it possible to set number of workspaces in IceWM? And is it possible to set IceWM to display tabs of all the opened windows, not just of the ones in the current workspace?

An annoying bug is, Geany sometimes closes its window without saving in response to ctrl-F instead of opening search-dialog.
It's a pitty, fluxbox is unusable with almost all visual styles, not displaying which menu item is selected.

cichlasoma

#104 Post by cichlasoma »

Two questions more: how can I disable TEENpup's starting/exiting sound and autorun of Karamba at start-up? (BTW, Karamba fits the screen only for the 1024x768 resolution and when one clicks "show desktop" icon on the takbar, Karamba disappears and sometimes it's no more possible to make it visible again.)

john biles

#105 Post by john biles »

Hello cichlasoma,
To turn off start up sound open root and unhide hidden files.
Open .xinitrc by right mouse clicking on it and selecting open as text from the dialog box. Now scroll down to sone where around line 125 and you will see.

wavplay /usr/share/audio/2barks.wav &
/usr/bin/karamba &
/usr/local/pdrive/pdrive_daemon &
/opt/kde/bin/ktip &
#kdialog --passivepopup "Applications like Vuse and Open Office may take up to a minute to start up on older Hardware, please be patient..." 5
#kdialog --passivepopup "Applications like ZynAddSubFX and TVtime may fail to START on Low RAM PC's..." 5
/usr/bin/amor &

To turn off say the start up sound place a # infront of this line wavplay /usr/share/audio/2barks.wav & so it reads #wavplay /usr/share/audio/2barks.wav & This will stop the start up sound. To turn off Karamba again just put a # at the start of /usr/bin/karamba &

If you want to turn them back on just remove the # simple.

To turn off the shutdown sound got to /etc/rc.d/ and open rc.shutdown as text like you did with .xinitrc and place a # infront of this line wavplay /usr/share/audio/logout2.wav & which is near the top line 10 I think.

TEENpup 2010 Mini when released soon should run better on you EeePC.

cichlasoma

#106 Post by cichlasoma »

Hello, John!
Thanks a lot for your advices! (BTW, as for me, I'm new to linux, yet I know how to comment out a command in a script :-) )
If I may ask a question more, I'd like to know, whether it's possible to set my default file manager to be konqueror insted of rox.

(Really looking forward to see TEENpup 2010 released...)

LuckyLucciano

Tank´s ans questions

#107 Post by LuckyLucciano »

Hi, my name is Federico and i´m from Argentina, I don´t write weel english because I never go to learn it, so, sorry for my middle-little-spanglish! :roll:
First at all, a wish to tank you for make this amazing pupplet, it´s a really, really good work!!
In second place, I have some questions in my head:
*It is posible to install a .pet and chage the lenguaje on chooselocal? I tried and later TEENpup don´t work any more.
*It is posible to install any .pet, like games or aplications?
*You know if TEENpup is compatible with Sond Blaster cards?

Well, once more time, TANK´S YOU!!!

LuckyLucciano
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Traduccion:
Hola, mi nombre es Federico y soy de Argentina, no escribo muy bien en ingles porque nunca fui a aprender, por eso disculpen mi cuasi-spanglish! :?
Primero quiero agradecerte por hacer este maravilloso Pupplet, es un muy, muy buen trabajo!
En segundo lugar tengo algunas preguntas en mi cabeza:
*Es posible instalar un .pet y cambiar el lenguaje desde chooselocal? Yo lo intente y luego TEENpup no volvio a andar.
*Es posible instalar cualquier .pet, como juegos o aplicaciones?
*Sabes si TEENpup es compatible con tarjetas Sound Blaster?

Bueno, una vez mas, MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!

LuckyLucciano

pinguino

#108 Post by pinguino »

john biles wrote:Hello pinguino,
mjpegtools is looking for version libpthread 2.3.3 when TEENpup's version is 2.3.5 which normally should still work?
You may need to experiment with replacing mjpegtools with another version that hopefully will use the version of libpthread included in TEENpup.

If it was me I'd run TEENpup live and do a little experimenting by install this dotpup see link http://www.dotpups.de/dotpups/Multimedia/ and look do the list till you see mjpegtools

If someone else has a better solution with a way to trick mjpegtools into using the version of libpthread included in TEENpup, please post it here.
Hi John:

I tried the other versions of Teenpup with no success ( Teenup 2008, 2.00, 2.14). They all show the same GLIBC issue compatibility.
I also installed mjpegtools-1.8.0 from the above site (dotpup.de) and no success.
Is there a .pet to upgrade to GLIBC 2.3.5?. I really like all the multimedia tools included in your distribution and is a pitty not to get working mjpegtools.

Thanks,
Pinguino.

Mic67

#109 Post by Mic67 »

I downloaded this pup 24 hrs ago.

I have a one word review.

WOW.

Thanks Mic56

ps. I have 5 meg dsl and it was 100x faster than dialup

djdante

#110 Post by djdante »

I'm really eager to give this a whirl on my macbook (1 year old), but am still in the throes of trying to get the network card recognized on puppy linux 4.x
Given the use of an older puppy linux base, should I just presume that hardware recognition is going to be even worse? Or is it a much more complicated beast than that? I ask because my trackpad works in puppy 4.2 but not 4.3.

Also, can I use sfs3 and sfs4 files? Or do I have to download new sfs2 ones? Any backward conversion available for those?

edit: How do I tell it to load the entire cd into ram?