Puppy Linux FAQ is Moving

News, happenings
puppyite

Puppy Linux FAQ is Moving

#1 Post by puppyite »

Hello All,

If anyone wonders what I've been up to well here's the scoop. The Puppy Linux FAQ is moving to a new host and I'm recreating the site with new software. Remodeling and move-in will be complete no later than Thursday, March 31, 2011. You're all cordially invited to stop by and have a look at the new digs.

As always the prime missions of the Puppy Linux FAQ are:
  • Help Windows refugees migrate to Puppy Linux.
  • Spread the good news about Puppy Linux.
  • Encourage freedom of thought and speech.
Regards,
Puppyite :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

puppyite,
Hi, I was just browsing around your site, and I came across a button to purchase a Puppy CD from me. Problem is, I stopped selling a CD last year -- see my download page: http://puppylinux.com/download/

I received a CD order just last week, which I cancelled, and I sent an email to the person asking where he/she had placed the order, but they didn't reply. So perhaps it was your site.

So, please remove that button.

Regards,
Barry Kauler
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

puppyite

#3 Post by puppyite »

Hi Barry,

Per your request I have removed the button. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you.

Regards,
Puppyite

Edit: Fixed broken link.
Last edited by puppyite on Tue 22 Mar 2011, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.

russoodle

#4 Post by russoodle »

Hello Puppyite,

Thanks for the heads-up -- i'll update your link on my site when the move is complete.

I, for one, look forward to seeing FAQ's new digs.
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

puppyite

Early Preview

#5 Post by puppyite »

The new site is on shared hosting. Normally it would not be possible to visit a site that does not have a domain name or dedicated IP address. However it is possible to edit your hosts file and visit now, here’s how:

Go to /etc

Click hosts

Add this as the last line of the hosts file:

Code: Select all

50.22.14.99 www.puppylinuxfaq.org
Close and save file. Wait a few moments for the change to take effect then open your browser and visit www.puppylinuxfaq.org

To disable this line you may comment it out like this:

Code: Select all

#50.22.14.99 www.puppylinuxfaq.org
Or simply delete the line.

As long as this is enabled in your hosts file you will only be able to visit the new site and not the current site. Be certain to remove this line no later than Thursday, March 31, 2011 so you can visit the site using the domain name.

What you’ll find at the new site is broken links and construction debris lying around but it should give you an idea of what to expect when it’s finished. One more thing, the home page is due for a complete rewrite (probably in the next few days) so don’t expect to see that much longer.

@ russoodle
Thanks Russ. Your new site is looking good too. :)

puppyite

#6 Post by puppyite »

Hi People,

The all new Puppy Linux FAQ came on line at 3:30PM today. Depending on whose DNS you use and you're location you should be able to visit in 24 hours. I was able to visit the new site moments after setting up the domain servers. Please let me know if you have any problems with the site.

Please note that due to my new methodology for updating the site you may experience periodic short term outages. These outages should last no more than 90 seconds. You can either wait and refresh your browser or just come back a few minutes later.

Regards,
Puppyite

russoodle

WOW!

#7 Post by russoodle »

Hello Puppyite,

Thanks for your comment on my site, it's appreciated :)

I've just updated the link to yours and paid the new place a visit...

Congratulations on a truly fine piece of work! You've obviously put A LOT of time and effort into it, with a great deal of attention to detail, right down to the flash demo for copying files and folders.

Love the header image - i imagine it's a Puppyite original?

Great to see the Scroogle search box there, too; i always use that or ixquick (Startpage).

Your site's a definite asset to PuppyLinux and i hope many newbies find their answers there.

Cheers :)
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

Sylvander

#8 Post by Sylvander »

I've added THIS POST giving a link to it, in post #346 in page 14 of my Puppy Linux thread at the PC-Guide forums. :D

And posted in another PC-Guide thread too.

jamesbond

#9 Post by jamesbond »

You're doing a great service to Puppy community.

Thank you.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

puppyite

Re: WOW!

#10 Post by puppyite »

russoodle wrote:Hello Puppyite,

Thanks for your comment on my site, it's appreciated :)

I've just updated the link to yours and paid the new place a visit...
Thank you. I need all the links I can get.
Congratulations on a truly fine piece of work! You've obviously put A LOT of time and effort into it, with a great deal of attention to detail, right down to the flash demo for copying files and folders.
Thank you. It is the culmination of months of intense effort. The effort was in recreating the site in a new CMS.

I enjoy making flash demos too. That one is a full blown animation, they’re somewhat time consuming. I can visualize what I want almost immediately but execution takes longer. Time permitting I’ll do more in future.
Love the header image - i imagine it's a Puppyite original?
Yes, it is, I’m glad you like it. Everything I do is my original art, photography and writings. My avatar is cropped from one of my photos too.
Great to see the Scroogle search box there, too; i always use that or ixquick (Startpage).

Your site's a definite asset to PuppyLinux and i hope many newbies find their answers there.

Cheers :)
Thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot to me.

puppyite

#11 Post by puppyite »

Thank you Sylvander. That's an impressive thread you made.

Thanks jamesbond, much appreciated.

puppyite

Thank You Raffy!

#12 Post by puppyite »

I would like to thank Raffy. He installed phpMyFAQ at his host and invited me to create the site. He has hosted my site for free from November 2009 until just recently when I got my own host. Without Raffy’s help there might not be a Puppy Linux FAQ.

Raffy is a good friend if ever there was one.

Sylvander

#13 Post by Sylvander »

Got some time and delved somewhat deeper into your FAQ.

SUPERB! :D 8)

1. The look is really good.

2. I LIKE the way it works, with things leading to more things, leading to yet more things.
GREAT!

3. The writing style is excellent!

4. I did notice a couple of [what I think are] imperfections so far as I got [the early parts]. :(
Perhaps I'm too lazy to begin reading again from the beginning and pointing them out.
Or perhaps my ideas are wrong, in which case I need them corrected anyway.

tubeguy

#14 Post by tubeguy »

I like the way the background image in the header scales. Don't think I've seen that before, pretty clever.
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

puppyite

Error message / unable to visit Puppy Linux FAQ

#15 Post by puppyite »

If you see the following 403 error message while trying to visit the Puppy Linux FAQ please send me a private message in the forum or email and I will attempt to resolve the issue. Edit: Enabled email button.

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.17 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.17 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_fastcgi/2.4.6 Phusion_Passenger/2.2.5 Server at www.puppylinuxfaq.org Port 80

Digital_Dissident

#16 Post by Digital_Dissident »

Below is the message I see any time I try to access
http://www.puppylinuxfaq.org/

Anyone else getting this?
Hello,

Please contact the Puppy Linux FAQ webmaster at theonly@email.com and I will attempt to resolve the issue so you may access this website.

Regards,
Puppyite

puppyite

#17 Post by puppyite »

Digital_Dissident,

Please contact the Puppy Linux FAQ webmaster at theonly@email.com and I will attempt to resolve the issue so you may access this website.

Regards,
Puppyite

hillside

#18 Post by hillside »

Puppy Linux FAQ seems to be broken. I assumed it was temporarily down for work, but after several days of trying, the site will not load.

puppyite

#19 Post by puppyite »

Hillside,

Regards,
Puppyite

hillside

#20 Post by hillside »

Is there a problem with the web site, or is there some kind of gate-keeping going on. The site access situation seems a bit ... unusual. I would just as soon not expose my email account indiscriminately.