Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Sep 2014, 02:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Whodo/Warren Has left puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 8 of 9 [132 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
alienjeff

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun 2009, 01:43    Post subject:  

Pizzasgood wrote:
...and intend to eventually go forge my own path.

Consider a base install of Arch and build from there. Huge repository. Excellent package and dependency management. Eccentric community. Outstanding documentation. Very active forum. Lots of young blood.

Quote:
[/hijack]

You forgot the opening tag ... Wink

ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun 2009, 01:54    Post subject:  

I think he said he was going it alone, If anyone has a chance of doing what Barry and another top Linux gurus have I done, I personally believe he'll do it, No need to follow other peoples starts, He's more than ready, If anything Arch would take him off the path he wants to end-up.

I think he would have lots of support from the forum if he just ask when needed.
He's been there for us, I don't see why not be there for him, if need be.

ttuuxxx

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun 2009, 03:38    Post subject:  

Quote:
Besides, I'm a flipping anarchist

Cool Good luck with your new distro.
Do you have any initial plans/ideas?

Be interested how you boot strap (Puppy was boot strapped from Red Hat)
That means programs were compiled in Red Hat for inclusion in Puppy.
then Mandriva (before the name change) and then Vector and T2
I believe that is right.

Good to hear you will still be about
Live long and prosper Cool

ecomoney

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun 2009, 05:57    Post subject:  

PizzasGood NOOO!!!! Crying or Very sad

WhoDo's resignation his I think was about this thread about Puppy Woof's colourscheme, plus I think he has a lot on "IRL".

Quote:
Anarchism a doctrine advocating the abolition of government and its replacement by a social system based on voluntary cooperation

Source

Since Microsoft was George Bush's major contributors, voluntary working on a piece of software (Puppy Linux) whos aim is to help (be "friendly to") "new Linux Users" is not something the powers-that-be are going to praise you for. Do you not think these two stories are perhaps linked?

http://www.boycottbush.net/consumers.htm#microsoft
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&refer=news&sid=aZlZaQM5xGZg

When we signed up on this forum, we all agreed, voluntarily, to abide by the forum rules.

Quote:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented material

And its code of conduct...

Quote:
No name-calling. Moderators will decide what is and is not name-calling. If you're personally insulting someone, that's name-calling.
No starting trouble with other members - Don't post just to start trouble with another member. All posts are to be "real" topics.
No gratuitous sarcasm / innuendos - If you don't have an intelligent reply to a topic, don't respond. If someone doesn't agree with you, don't get sarcastic, don't call names. Give a logical response.

Source

(and before you ask, no Im not saying I have always Ive been squeeky clean, just a lot cleaner than some)

Contributing to this project by moderating this forum is about as "anarchist" as it gets in supporting others "free will" and their "free information", and also a big contribution to dismantling the structures that would otherwise control freedom of speech/expression/information. Just by setting up the bug-tracking section in response to feedback you have greatly improved the quality of the future Puppy Linux, and made it an even better tool for freeing people from controlling, proprietary, and government funding alternative OS's.

Quote:
some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them

Shakespeare - Twelfth Night

Of course you have your own freedom and free will PG...and are you sure that the path you are planning to take puts you in a position where you can elicit the philosophy you advocate?

I for one would very much like to see you stay, this forum needs a moderator with your philosophy, and others like you with more time on their hands.

Sorry, my server is down atm!
alienjeff

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun 2009, 08:15    Post subject:  

I'm still LOL over the anarchist part. If true anarchy actually occurred, most self-proclaimed "anarchists" would be found hiding in dark corners, in the fetal position, and sucking their thumbs while waiting for some order to come about.

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun 2009, 18:34    Post subject:  

Well yeah, pure anarchy would be bad. Hard to condense an entire set of personal beliefs into a single word. "Anarchist" generally comes close enough.

I do intend to take a look at Arch sometime. From what I've heard it probably is the second-closest Linux to what I'm wanting, behind Puppy. I also want to play with Gobo and Chaos, and some non-Linux OSes like Plan 9 and DexOS, just to increase my horizons a bit before I start.

mcewanw

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun 2009, 20:09    Post subject: Arch compared to Puppy?  

alienjeff wrote:

Consider a base install of Arch and build from there. Huge repository. Excellent package and dependency management. Eccentric community. Outstanding documentation. Very active forum. Lots of young blood.

Only having dialup I always hesitate to download distributions I haven't tried before unless there are tiny download options.

I am curious to try Arch though. Just wondered if you've tried it on any older hardware (down to PII/maybe PIII with 128MB or 256 MB RAM)? If so, how does it compare to Puppy in terms of resource usage/speed?

Can it be installed in a frugal install configuration or as a full-install?

ecomoney

PostPosted: Sat 20 Jun 2009, 09:19    Post subject:  

Well, according to their forums they "own" us when it comes to older hardware

They wernt really comparing like for like from their description though....FULL install would have "pwned" them on that computer, i suspect. Something to think about when it comes to the default type for the new installer.

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=41622

daklander

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jun 2009, 22:17    Post subject:  

MU wrote:
I was moderating a famous german Linux forum for 10 years.
Mark

Icepack by chance?
droope

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jun 2009, 00:00    Post subject:  

ecomoney wrote:
Well, according to their forums they "own" us when it comes to older hardware

They wernt really comparing like for like from their description though....FULL install would have "pwned" them on that computer, i suspect. Something to think about when it comes to the default type for the new installer.

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=41622

Ecomoney, sorry:

Not "according to their forum". According to a few users of their forum.

There's a difference.

CHeers,
Droope
ecomoney

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jun 2009, 05:29    Post subject:  

You are correct Droope, it wouldnt be right to judge an entire forum by a few "bad apples".

wikipedia wrote:

Arch Linux (or Arch) is a Linux distribution intended to be lightweight and simple.[1] The design approach of the development team focuses on "simplicity", elegance, code correctness and minimalism.[2] "Simplicity", according to Arch, is defined as "...without unnecessary additions, modifications, or complications.." and is defined from a developer standpoint, rather than a user standpoint

No challenge there then....a developer creating programs from a user standpoint is far more challenging, useful to more people, and more effective at moving people over to open source.

MU

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jun 2009, 06:56    Post subject:  

daklander wrote:
MU wrote:
Mark

Icepack by chance?

no, it was a general Linux forum. Old snapshot:
http://web.archive.org/web/20060128194649/http://f24.parsimony.net/forum54930/
Mark

yorkiesnorkie

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jun 2009, 10:33    Post subject: Re: Whodo/Warren Has left puppy  

ttuuxxx wrote:
I for one want the forum administrators to kindly think about banning indefinitely the user "Ecomoney" he has broken the last straw in my eye, Its 100% because of him that Warren has asked for his account to be suspended and also that warren has resigned from package coordinator.

Woah there ttuuxxx. I disagree. There are all sorts of people in the world. Sometimes you just have to step back and agree that you'll disagree. Even some of the most difficult people do have something valid to say. Part of the open in open source is a respect for what others contribute even when they disagree with you.

Personally, I deeply respect Warren's contribution to 4.2 and am thankful for it. I am also thankful for the contributions made by others to Puppy. It can't be easy to decide what goes into a Puppy distribution.

Puppy is a work in progress, but I'm not sure everyone recognizes that when they pick up a distro and slide it into their cd or dvd drive. I believe it would be un-realistic to expect it to be perfect. I have no such expectation myself but am eminently grateful for everthing that does work!

With regard to the process of improving Puppy, I'm not sure what you and other's have agreed upon as a framework for further development. Or, what the area's of responsibility might be, or what items appear on the agenda and in what priority. However it looks to me as though the air needs to be cleared. I would urge you all to just step back a moment and take a deep breath and see if there is something that you can all agree upon, start small and build a better working relationship. It'll take time but maybe you can all sort things out.

All the best,

Yorkiesnorkie
Smile
daklander

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jun 2009, 22:55    Post subject:  

MU wrote:
daklander wrote:
MU wrote:
Mark

Icepack by chance?

no, it was a general Linux forum. Old snapshot:
http://web.archive.org/web/20060128194649/http://f24.parsimony.net/forum54930/
Mark

Ah, Thanks. Icepack was my first reasonably successful foray into Linux. I still have a set of CDs for version 2.75. It was, at the time, the easiest distro to install and it found more hardware than any other distro I'd tried to that point.

I've spent a lot of time in and around Karlsruhe.

North Dakota that is. Very Happy
Hugh

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jul 2009, 05:46    Post subject: Thanks for the memories...
Subject description: Like a good novel

Thanks to all who have participated in the 'exchanges' in this topic!

It's been an interesting 'read' for a certainty. In the spirit of an Agatha
Christie or a Miss Marple!

Look. What's happened here is something we've all experienced in our own family lives. What's all the fuss about a couple of people having a disagreement? In the end it will, and probably already has, been resolved to a great extent.

When I was teaching I would get burnout regularly twice a year. It was a miserable experience not only for me, but for all who interacted with me.

Then when the 'load' eased up, life and the job became enjoyable once again!

Stress, from whatever source, is a real killer of 'joy' and 'peace.'

Once this episode is 'old business' we'll be 'healthy' again and Puppy will be the better for it!

Thanks 'WhoDo' for all that you've already done and what you'll yet do!!

Thanks 'Eco...' for your contributions as well.

Now, when ttuuxxx gets his X7 ready to fire up...

Puppy is very unique and has a very 'diverse' family of 'users.'

Many thanks to all y'all! (Puppy bro's and sista's)
Page 8 of 9 [132 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: