How do I umount /mnt/home (to backup /dev/hda1)

Booting, installing, newbie
bkeadle

How do I umount /mnt/home (to backup /dev/hda1)

#1 Post by bkeadle »

I just recently discovered Puppy as I was looking for a way to have a free, open-source, Linux-based on-board imaging (backup/restore) solution, and found that I need something that can run completely from RAM...hence, I found this wonderful distro.

So, I have a single drive, single parition (FAT32). I'm able to start PUPPY using the GRUB.EXE to load the PUPPY files off C:. However, I've found that I can't umount /mnt/home (which is "touching" my C: drive). I need to be able to umount /dev/hda1 so that I can do an image backup/restore of the partition /dev/hda1.

Is there a way to do this? Can someone lead me down the right path for finding an easy way to do a backup/restore of a partition to a local file system or over the network? I'm aware of G4U/G4L, partimage, and deviceimage (zsplit/unzsplit). It's these utils I'd like to include in with my own custom Puppy "load"...once I figure out how to customize my own.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

you have tried start / utilities / pudd?

:?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#3 Post by Guest »

Yes. It doesn't show mounted volumes. I'm unable to umount /dev/hda1 because it's "busy". It's /dev/hda1 that I want to be able to backup/restore.

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

I'm not familiar with grub, but one of the commands used to start it as a live cd looks like this:

Code: Select all

append root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz  PFILE=pup001-none-262144
If you change the part that says

PFILE=pup001-none-262144
to

PFILE=none
it won't use a pup001 file (the file on the harddrive that stores the files and forces the drive to be mounted).

You can also change it to

PFILE=ask
and it will allow you to choose which partition to use, or to use none at all.

With this method, it wouldn't load your settings at boot, so you can get around that a couple ways. One, you could just remaster to have it set up by default. The other is to save whatever files/programs you need on the harddrive (or usb drive, or cd, or dvd, or even floppy if they're small), mount it by hand to get them, then unmount it when you have them copied to ram. Personally, I'd go with remastering.
I suppose there is also option four: download what you need every time.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

bkeadle

#5 Post by bkeadle »

Excellent. Thanks.