puppy comparison

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Walt H

puppy comparison

#1 Post by Walt H »

If it doesn't already exist, could a page of some sort be created that shows the differences between the Opera and Mozilla versions of Puppy? I know the Opera version doesn't have Abiword (my favorite word processor to date) and uses ABS instead of Siag (is that right?), but it would be nice to know more about what is gained, what is lost, and what is different when you choose one version over another.

Second, are the differing applications between the two versions available for download so that a user could have the best of both worlds? Thanks. Now on to the next forum and my next question.
Walt

Now that you point it out to me, the answer seems painfully obvious.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Any application that is not on the live-cd will automatically be shown as available for download when you run PupGet.
So, the official live-cd and the Opera live-cd will each show a different list when you run Pupget.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Compared to others

#3 Post by Lobster »

8) As we all know Puppy is kewl and other distros have their good points. Even though you did not intend it Walt we might start a table comparison on the wiki with Puppy. It will help identify our strengths and hopefully point out where other distros may be a better option. For example DSL can be run (very slowly) on 16 meg of memory 486 computers. I am not sure if that is desirable or possible for Puppy.

Is this a good idea? Who is up for doing it?
Another good project for the wiki - we have recently discovered how to delete empty pages - Perhaps someone could create a list of empty or useless wikki
pages and send a PM to Barry who can check and delete them as he is the admin for the wiki? I would do it myself but I am bone idle . . .

:)