VLC 1.0.0rc4 Media player .pet for Puppy

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
mikeb

#46 Post by mikeb »

sikpuppy well I finally am able to view a dvd Smile it was missing the libcddb.so.2
well thats odd in itself..thats the cd database library.
I have previously used the dvdnav and read libs (other vlc) in a standard puppy 2.12.
I did have to type in /dev/hdd (or whatever) as /dev/dvd seems unrecognised even though it's set up with this vlc version

Daft questions..have you been using your vlc 0.8.6h on 2.14r...to play dvd
and do you delete the config before testing as there is a plugin cache?
[0x8341270] main input error: ES_OUT_RESET_PCR called
sounds dodgy.

mike

ps a vlc 0.8.6c package I made and gave to someone refused to play dvd for him for ages.....dejavu

ttuuxxx

#47 Post by ttuuxxx »

mikeb wrote:
sikpuppy well I finally am able to view a dvd Smile it was missing the .so.2
well thats odd in itself..thats the cd database library.
I have previously used the dvdnav and read libs (other vlc) in a standard puppy 2.12.
I did have to type in /dev/hdd (or whatever) as /dev/dvd seems unrecognised even though it's set up with this vlc version

Daft questions..have you been using your vlc 0.8.6h on 2.14r...to play dvd
and do you delete the config before testing as there is a plugin cache?
[0x8341270] main input error: ES_OUT_RESET_PCR called
sounds dodgy.

mike

ps a vlc 0.8.6c package I made and gave to someone refused to play dvd for him for ages.....dejavu
No mike I haven't even tried the 0.8.6h on 2.14.1X, Been too busy fixing this release to watch movies, lol just testing this version out.
butttttttttt I just compiled libcddb.so.2.2.3 and installed it, looks like the dvd is playing much better now :) The controls etc are working right.
Report back in a bit
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ttuuxxx

#48 Post by ttuuxxx »

ok I tested it, well it plays dvds, a small bit of image slowness, other than that not bad, I also tried 0.8.6h and it needed 3 packages from 4 series and played the dvd perfect on 2.14.1X. Glad for that :) I would like to see this version play as well as the 0.8.6h did.
ttuuxxx

sikpuppy

#49 Post by sikpuppy »

ttuuxxx wrote:ok I tested it, well it plays dvds, a small bit of image slowness, other than that not bad, I also tried 0.8.6h and it needed 3 packages from 4 series and played the dvd perfect on 2.14.1X. Glad for that :) I would like to see this version play as well as the 0.8.6h did.
ttuuxxx
Well, part of the problem is the entire UI of VLC has been overhauled (not for the better I think, it was far more responsive with the wXwidgets interface).

This from the VLC wesite:
Thanks to the continuous efforts made by the developers and the community, the new version of the award-winning VLC media player, numbered 1.0.0, is approaching the end of development.
The release will very likely happen next week.
Earlier today it said "The release will be early THIS week..." Grr. Oh well, I will use what I have learnt with the other 2 releases to make the next one a pearler :P
ASUS A1000, 800Mhz PIII Coppermine!, 192Mb RAM, 10Gb IBM Travelstar HDD, Build date August 2001.

ttuuxxx

#50 Post by ttuuxxx »

sikpuppy wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:ok I tested it, well it plays dvds, a small bit of image slowness, other than that not bad, I also tried 0.8.6h and it needed 3 packages from 4 series and played the dvd perfect on 2.14.1X. Glad for that :) I would like to see this version play as well as the 0.8.6h did.
ttuuxxx
Well, part of the problem is the entire UI of VLC has been overhauled (not for the better I think, it was far more responsive with the wXwidgets interface).

This from the VLC wesite:
Thanks to the continuous efforts made by the developers and the community, the new version of the award-winning VLC media player, numbered 1.0.0, is approaching the end of development.
The release will very likely happen next week.
Earlier today it said "The release will be early THIS week..." Grr. Oh well, I will use what I have learnt with the other 2 releases to make the next one a pearler :P
Yeah I never like qt much on puppy, the fonts always look strange and its never as responsive as gtk, wx, fox etc I wish they would bring back the gtk, vlc frontend, it ended in early days of vlc.
When I compiled the failed early 9 series of vlc you still could compile the wxgtk front end, it wasn't in the list when you did --configure --help,
try next time but you'll have to have the wxgtk installed of course :)
--enable-wx --disable-qt4 --enable-gtk

ttuuxxx

sikpuppy

#51 Post by sikpuppy »

It's not possible to use wxwidgets anymore. One of the reasons the bootstrap script fails is because they have totally removed the URL from one of the configure files for wxwidgets.

I already have wxwidgets, and I tried a few days ago to get the ./configure script to use it. I am afraid QT it is. Which also means that the window decorations look crappy (a big X and chunky terminal emulator style surrounds).
ASUS A1000, 800Mhz PIII Coppermine!, 192Mb RAM, 10Gb IBM Travelstar HDD, Build date August 2001.

mikeb

#52 Post by mikeb »

Well glad dvd are literally playing for you ttuuxxx.

As for interfaces either default interface to me is clumsy in appearance and code ...I use the skins all the time. ....good job is a great player :)

mike

vovchik

#53 Post by vovchik »

Dear all,

Guys, please don't be so harsh on QT4 before setting it up properly. A properly compiled set of QT4 libs contains a GTK style plugin and the qtconfig app. These two binaries enables your QT apps to look just like your GTK ones, including font settings, buttons and all other widgets. I placed two versions of that plug-in on the forum some time ago (for QT 4.3x and 4.4x), along with qtconfig. Sorry, I can't remember in what context. Given the number of QT4 apps out there, and the size of the library, I think you get more bang for the buck from shared QT than with wx widgets, which are very lib-version specific and the cause of much grief on my part.

With kind regards,
vovchik

PS. I've included a pic of VLC running under qt4 on my little netbook. The fonts are perfect and are the same ones that I use for GTK. I used the 9x VLC (38MB) that I downloaded here, but threw out the QT stuff in /usr/lib, since I have a later version installed that has support for styled widgets.
Attachments
qt4snapshot.jpg
(44.86 KiB) Downloaded 1650 times

mikeb

#54 Post by mikeb »

Well I like qt..its consistant, reliable and looks good to me...why else does kde look smart. Its the use of large gui libraries by vlc thats the moan...but your config info sounds generally useful. Indeed kde comes with lots of customisation options in the control panel .
mike

mikeb

#55 Post by mikeb »

ok upset time...

tested V6 in puppy 4.1.2 ..moans about sdl-image and libproxy but main problem is segmentation fault playing avi (xvid/divx) dvd works.

tested 1.0.0 from first post...needs glibc 2.8 so non starter.

retested V3 and original...ok ..installed over the top just to make sure.

back to my grubby corner

mike

sikpuppy

#56 Post by sikpuppy »

try running VLC from the command line:

Code: Select all

vlc --prefer-system-codecs
This will find out if the inbuilt codec is to blame, or if it's something else. It will force vlc to use ffmpeg from an external library.

mikeb

#57 Post by mikeb »

Ok will do...and will install bit by bit as a separate test

mike

mikeb

#58 Post by mikeb »

Ok results

1.0.0. obviously no test as its libvlc needing glibc 2.8.

V6 no difference...the related codecs are being used from the 4.12 core anyway as they are not in the pet..ps the qt4 libs in opt are not needed.

One feature of vlc 0.9.x if i remember is rtsp support but none of the packages I tried seemed to have this..I may have misunderstood that one.

So most functional version remains V3 .
Main missing feature was mp4a.
Are you testing on 4.20?
dbus needs specifically disabling in the config options it seems .

regards

mike

sikpuppy

#59 Post by sikpuppy »

Nope, I am testing on a 412 frugal.

Sorry it took so long to reply, what I may do is re-compile when the 1.0.0 final comes out next week.:P

mikeb

#60 Post by mikeb »

what I may do is re-compile when the 1.0.0 final comes out next week.
sounds like a good plan..give yourself a break from it.

If i make any discoveries in the meantime I'll let you know

regards

mike

donpoon

VLC Modzilla Plugin

#61 Post by donpoon »

Wonder if this pet has the VLC Modzilla Plugin?
If not, do you mind to give out some hints to get me going in compiling it from source?

I am running 4.2.1 Official Puppy and Firefox 3.0.11

Regards,
donpoon

sikpuppy

#62 Post by sikpuppy »

Nope, doesn't include it. Unfortunately the entire thing has to be compiled to get that one part :P The plug in just embeds the VLC player in the browser, so it need to be built at the same time.

I will be attempting the compile again next week with the final release of vlc, perhaps I will do it then.

As for hints, I only just managed to compile it myself, it's a royal pain in the sultana.

donpoon

#63 Post by donpoon »

Would you please include the plug-in when you compile it next week.

As I am a newbie in apps compiling, I don't have guts to try it myself. Especially a challenging one like this.

sikpuppy

#64 Post by sikpuppy »

No probs :-)

mikeb

#65 Post by mikeb »

VLC Mozilla Plugin
remind me..is that for specific vlc embed code or for general use..eg wmv for windows media player?

mike