Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Dec 2014, 17:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
VLC 1.0.0rc4 Media player .pet for Puppy
Page 5 of 9 [126 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
donpoon

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jun 2009, 16:33    Post subject: VLC Modzilla Plugin  

Wonder if this pet has the VLC Modzilla Plugin?
If not, do you mind to give out some hints to get me going in compiling it from source?

I am running 4.2.1 Official Puppy and Firefox 3.0.11

Regards,
donpoon
sikpuppy

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jun 2009, 23:07    Post subject:  

Nope, doesn't include it. Unfortunately the entire thing has to be compiled to get that one part Razz The plug in just embeds the VLC player in the browser, so it need to be built at the same time.

I will be attempting the compile again next week with the final release of vlc, perhaps I will do it then.

As for hints, I only just managed to compile it myself, it's a royal pain in the sultana.

donpoon

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jun 2009, 00:30    Post subject:  

Would you please include the plug-in when you compile it next week.

As I am a newbie in apps compiling, I don't have guts to try it myself. Especially a challenging one like this.
sikpuppy

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jun 2009, 00:32    Post subject:  

No probs Smile
mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jun 2009, 09:26    Post subject:  

Quote:
VLC Mozilla Plugin

remind me..is that for specific vlc embed code or for general use..eg wmv for windows media player?

mike
donpoon

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jun 2009, 10:19    Post subject:  

Mike,

It's more for vlc embed code.

vlc's javascript API is quite extensive.

By specifying vlc plugin to play video on a web page, I can use javascript to control the vlc plugin.
mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jun 2009, 11:32    Post subject:  

Ok thought so..thanks for the info.

mike
NoNameAmI

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jun 2009, 12:17    Post subject:  

EDIT: New Issue fixed, see below on how

No sound.

I have ALSA setup and working. VLC doesn't seem to have an ALSA output and only has oss. How would I get audio working?

UPDATE: This was fixed by downloading the following slackware package, decompressing and copying the alsa plugins to the audio_output directory. Worked like a charm. These should be included in the .pet

http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/vlc/pkg/12.2/vlc-1.0.0.rc4-i486-1alien.tgz

sikpuppy

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun 2009, 02:33    Post subject:  

NoNameAmI wrote:
EDIT: New Issue fixed, see below on how

No sound.

I have ALSA setup and working. VLC doesn't seem to have an ALSA output and only has oss. How would I get audio working?

UPDATE: This was fixed by downloading the following slackware package, decompressing and copying the alsa plugins to the audio_output directory. Worked like a charm. These should be included in the .pet

http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/vlc/pkg/12.2/vlc-1.0.0.rc4-i486-1alien.tgz

It most certainly does have ALSA output Razz If your system ALSA is set up correctly it just uses that, I think.

No offence, but nobody else seemed to have to overlay another install. In fact, if the slackware version works, I would be inclined just to use that instead of trying to fix mine Razz

mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun 2009, 08:22    Post subject:  

Quote:
if the slackware version works,

in the past I've never had one of these work 100% plus they may not have the run as root option.(previous slackware tests og 0.9.x failed on puppy.)
I will test that package out of interest though a compilation made for puppy would be preferable.
ttuuxxx's 0.8.6h works very well for example.

I wonder which version NoNameAmI tested as the one's I ran did have alsa working.

regards

mike
sikpuppy

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun 2009, 10:12    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
Quote:
if the slackware version works,

in the past I've never had one of these work 100% plus they may not have the run as root option.(previous slackware tests og 0.9.x failed on puppy.)
I will test that package out of interest though a compilation made for puppy would be preferable.
ttuuxxx's 0.8.6h works very well for example.

I wonder which version NoNameAmI tested as the one's I ran did have alsa working.

regards

mike

Yep they have to be compiled specifically to run as root, or they fail with a message (but only if they are started from terminal) "Can't run as root".

The 0.8.6 series is a bit easier to compile, it seems to be better designed. I get the feeling that the same team isn't involved with the later series, since even on Ubuntu and Fedora the 0.9x series seems buggy by comaprision, and possibly overloaded with bling at the expense of stability.

mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun 2009, 15:05    Post subject:  

Quote:
The 0.8.6 series is a bit easier to compile, it seems to be better designed. I get the feeling that the same team isn't involved with the later series, since even on Ubuntu and Fedora the 0.9x series seems buggy by comaprision, and possibly overloaded with bling at the expense of stability.

Well that was the impression we got in the past and why it was dropped for a while hoping the sources would be less buggy. Indeed your efforts are much closer to a 100% working result but it's obviously being awkward for you.

Perhaps try out the 'stable' version 1.0.0 as you suggested and see how that goes.

mike
NoNameAmI

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun 2009, 18:46    Post subject:  

For those curious I was using 4.2.1 Barebones. ALSA was setup and was working (played sounds after setup). The .pet package of vlc I downloaded only came with basically OSS and when running vlc it complained of a lack of /dev/dsp

So, I found the alsa plugin and plopped it in and it worked.

mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun 2009, 19:42    Post subject:  

Ok it's a case of pick n mix with vlc it seems.

I tried the slackware setup and
no run as root
missing symlinks for libvlc and libvlccore

no libiconv

complains that it wants glib 2.8

but with those things bodged from older packages it ran but no avcodec support which is not surprising.(probably wants newer version.
Actually skins support was better.

moral..for the ideal vlc grab parts from several packages till it works...mainly in the plugins department. I did the same for 0.8.6.
skins from 1.0.0...avcodec from V3....etc etc etc

mike

mad but true Rolling Eyes
eugene_iy

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jun 2009, 09:32    Post subject:  

Great work sikpuppy!

Thanks !
However vlc 1.0 doesn't support V4L as capture device.
VLC 0.9.9 support V4L2 only. But common situation for puppy - poor machine with 1.1 usb and accordingly - old V4L cameras
Could you please include in your magnificent build of VLC additional V4L (V4L1) support?

PLEASE!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Page 5 of 9 [126 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: