Howto feed Puppy "C" to become a 'fat Puppy' :)

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
marquitico

Can't get this to work...

#16 Post by marquitico »

Please help a new Puppy who is also a (whimper) Windows refugee. (There. I said it.)

I am using Puppy to help learn Linux before buying a new computer on which I will install (I hope) some complete distro on its own partition. I want to learn simple routine tasks, such as installing new software, for example. To do this I picked xzip, a simple, small interpreter for z-machine interactive fiction games.

I couldn't locate a Puppy package for this, so I thought this topic would help me install what I need to be able to compile source code for myself.
Get the following slackware packages from:
http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/slackware/ ... ackware/d/
binutils-2.15.92.0.2-i486-2.tgz
gcc-3.3.4-i486-1.tgz
and from:
http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/slackware/ ... ackware/l/
glibc-2.3.4-i486-1.tgz
Put this in reach of a type 2 hdd install (I have put them on CD-R; so /mnt/cdrom/<tgzfile> for this howto)

boot Puppy Linux from hdd install. Open a terminal (rxvt). You should be in /root.

Save /etc because slackware files will destroy this?! I have not investigated this any further!
So here I will just repair it afterwards...

tar czvf etc.tgz /etc/*

Now install the 3 tgz files from above:
# change working dir to / ; must be in / !!
cd /
tar zxvf <tgzfile>
# important to run the slackware doinst script!
sh install/doinst.sh
# do this for all 3 tgz file
# now restore destroyed /etc files
tar zxvf /root/etc.tgz

--- DONE ---
Following these instructions, the first two files seemed to work just fine. The glibc file won't work, however. Running sh install/doinst.sh after untarring produces:

Error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

To whomever all this info may be meaningfull, PLEEZE explain it to me.

Thank you, everyone.

Mark
"marquitico"

marquitico

Forgot...

#17 Post by marquitico »

Running Puppy 1.0.4, by the way. Sorry, forgetful.

Mark
"marquitico"

#18 Post by Guest »

you could also have a look at the opttools thread too...

The only prob is that Puppy uses glibc-2.3.2 and slackware-10.1 uses glibc-2.3.4 there maybe some prob's there

masinick

Heard about Chubby Puppy, seems off line

#19 Post by masinick »

I had a positive recommendation from a friend about trying out Chubby Puppy. I already have Puppy 1.0.4 and like it very much.

There is a link on the main Puppy site to a gentleman who kindly provided a "Rolls Royce" Chubby Puppy Edition, but I have not been able to access it this evening.

Is this offering still available? Is there a second source for it, or will the posted site be back online again soon?

I see that there are many ways now to extend Puppy, but I was hoping not to have to invest a great deal of time into that myself, at least not right at this moment (though in the future, who knows, I may start doing extensions myself).

For now, I'd appreciate a way to get the already created edition dubbed "Chubby Puppy".

Great stuff in here, especially some of this cutting edge stuff. When I get more free time, I certainly WOULD LOVE to experiment more with it myself!
Brian Masinick
masinick \at\ yahoo \dot\ com

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Chubby Puppy P2P download link

#20 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

marquitico

Re: Can't get this to work

#21 Post by marquitico »

bladehunter:

Thank you, I'll give it a try! May I ask: I found the glibc-2.3.2 in Slackware 9.1, so should I get the gcc and binutils in 9.1 as well?

masinick:

I'm actually running Chubby Puppy. Works beautifully. Download is slow though, and the host seems to have little bandwidth. Maybe the BitTorrent P2P download thingy is a better idea.

If P2P doesn't work and you need to try downloading Chubby from the website, I have the following observation: the host rejects multiple simultaneous connections from the client as a means of saving bandwidth, so if you use a download manager of some kind, you need to force the number of simultaneous downloading streams to one. Makes the download slowwww :evil: but it worked for me.

Mark
"marquitico"

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#22 Post by Lobster »

Not sure what I mean

Now that I have Vector Linux running inside Puppy gonna have another go at compiling C
- can not be that hard (in fact it ain't 'coz I did it once . . . - in another dimension it may have been . . .)

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#23 Post by BarryK »

Guys, see the News page for 28th July!