Boxpup 421 Retro

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gray

Boxpup 421 Retro

#1 Post by gray »

Boxpup 421 Retro [ kernel 2..6.21.7 ] can be downloaded from:

http://download.tuxfamily.org/nop/

Boxpup uses the openbox window manager with Thunar filemanager (no jwm or rox) with a choice of either tint or lxpanel.

This release is based on Puppy 4.2.1 Retro but with Opera 10 beta replacing Seamucky as browser. Most other apps are the same but some are upgraded to latest versions (eg transmission 1.72, Pburn 2.4.2). Tcl/Tk, Homebank and Geany have been removed.
Attachments
boxpupscreen.jpg
(37.22 KiB) Downloaded 3583 times

russoodle

Looks good!

#2 Post by russoodle »

Thank you gray, i'll have to take this little guy for a good run in the park! Looks really good..

:D

russoodle
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

Max Headroom

Gray Altho I kNow that You've Previously Stated that U would

#3 Post by Max Headroom »

Gray Altho I kNow that You've Previously Stated that U wouldn't Release another NOP 'til Puppy 5 / Woof was Finished, I Wunder if You'd Please Reconsider Considering that Barry has been Distracted by these Puppy 2 & 4 Updates & Consequently Delayed Woof / Puppy 5 Development / Release.
Besides I'm Rather Curious 'bout How a NOP Dingo 4.2.1 Might Look!
Preferably w/ an SMP Ke*nel & NVidia Drivers, PLEASE
if You're Not "Lost in Space" ( Err, I Mean Toooo Busy ), that is :)

Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

What a gem - thanks, gray. Have you looked at Opera Turbo, yet? Originally intended for netbooks/mobiles but, allegedly, bees knees on other kit, too. Why is it that it's so difficult to get BK to consider bleeding edge developments like Opera? For me, the perfect complement to Opera is Claws, now a fork from Sylpheed.

Zoasterboy

#5 Post by Zoasterboy »

Thanks grey! I love Boxpup. I've been using 412 for a while, and started trying to copy the features of Boxpup over to 421. In my search for an easy way to get Thunar working, I found this, now I don't have to do all of the work! :D

picatrix

#6 Post by picatrix »

Hi, I've got an annoying problem during the boot phase: Boxpup 421 hangs on "setting up services (network, printing, etc...)" phase for at least 10 seconds and until I press a key on the keyboard...

My system is an IBM Thinkpad R51e, frugal install on internal hd ext3 formatted...

Any hint will be helpful!

Best Regards

Picatrix

tlchost

Re: Boxpup 421 Retro

#7 Post by tlchost »

[quote="gray"]Boxpup 421 Retro [ kernel 2..6.21.7 ] can be downloaded from:

http://download.tuxfamily.org/nop/

Downlaoded it 3 times....all three files comaplian about incorrect size.

Thom

gray

bad download

#8 Post by gray »

Hmmm,

I checked the tuxfamily download & it worked for me, though I have had issues with downloads from there before. I will check again when I have time. The retro 421 boxpup can also be downloaded from http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/NOP

user:puppy passwd:linux

ironclad

#9 Post by ironclad »

Just to let you know it worked great for me. I am able to boot into it on my Aspire One just fine.

I really enjoy the Openbox window manager... very fast.

There is one bug I guess, I am not able to start in xorg when I encounter the xorgwizard on startup. I probably just need to tweak the xorg.conf.

But I really enjoy it. I wonder how you got your start compiling programs for puppy and building a puplet. Know any good links?

(I need to get my wireless card working, the dreaded Aspire One Arthos wireless card)

tlchost

Re: bad download

#10 Post by tlchost »

gray wrote:The retro 421 boxpup can also be downloaded from http://www.puppylinux.asia/tpp/NOP
Thanks....downloaded fine....and my Acer5100 laptop boots fine with the retro version.

Thom

wosifat

#11 Post by wosifat »

So why did you decide to use Gxine?
There may be other choices that I don't agree with it. I downloaded it and tried it, and didn't do much with it. Went back to 413, and upgraded to 413 Revision 1, which I'm in now. That's the thing that stands out the most right off the top of my head, though. Why did you use Gxine?

laika

Boxpup 421 Retro

#12 Post by laika »

this is a very nice collection of useful stuff with a lean, clean look and feel. with a couple of small tweaks, i could see myself using Boxpup on a regular basis.

gawth_slacker

BoxPup 4.21 retro is very nice so far.

#13 Post by gawth_slacker »

I am really liking this BoxPup 4.21 retro. I was on PupFlux 4.12 for a long while as I dont like JWM much at all. I really like fluxbox but the Openbox has caught my eye and I think I am going to become as familiar with this as I am with Fluxbox.

Hows about having JRE runtime java installed by default? I have seen it in other distros, you just have to agree to the license when you install the distro or something. I dont remember how it was but either way. And, having Nvidia installed would be really kewl also. I was an avid user of firefox but after some time with Opera I am starting to like it. Firefox has been a bit buggy lately it seems.

Well like I told SteveS about PupFlux, keep up the great work! It is looking really nice and I just sit in front of my pc now and look at the desktop, entranced in a way! LOL

Kudos!!!

gawth_slacker

Problem with the default Opera browser

#14 Post by gawth_slacker »

I dont think the beta version of Opera was the best idea, unless there is something I am missing...but anyway...

First problem is that it says java runtime is installed, but it doesnt work.
Second is that it keeps saying update available but it only points me to the 10.0 beta, which this is already.
Third, YouTube.com after a couple flicks, Opera locks up.

Is it possible that the 9.whaterver version of Opera might have been a bit more stable for a new Puplet to start out with? Everything else is just peaches and cream, wonderfully put together, no worries. I just dont like the idea of having Opera installed and not being used since it is the default and I am not adept at removing and reburning remastered CD's, while I run a different browser that will do all of the above mentioned issues that Opera 10 wont do. Maybe 10 will work out the bugs and ditch the beta tag but until then, it maybe a better idea to run this wonderful Puplet with a stable version or a different browser altogether.

Constructive comments, please. This is not to point out faults but issues that might deem worthy of a fix of some sort for all to benefit from, even if it is something I am over looking. I look forward to replies.

Otherwise, keep up the good work. I really like this Puplet!!!