My Puppy improvement wishlist

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy

My Puppy improvement wishlist

#1 Post by . »

1. Include Opera as the default browser in the main distro.

When using mozilla to browse sites on my old computer (200mmx/128mb ram) puppy would lock up* if doing any multitasking or loading several pages.. it also took ages to load in the first place.
Opera is much faster loading, takes much more effort to lock it up, and, IMO much better out of the box too. to get mozilla to work even half decently i had to delete the files used for flash, stop animations repeating, disable javascript and sometimes disable images alltogether.. and opera out of the box was still much better.
any support? or why not?

*2. this locking up is a problem..
i'm guessing its due to low ram? but it comes pretty much out of nowhere and the CPU goes to 100% and its nigh-impossible to sort it out without restarting. if it cannot be fixed, some kind of warning needs to be made.. or priority system - it took over 20 mins to get to the close program thing and turn off enough to get the system back to normal.
this is IMO the single largest 'bug' with puppy that needs attention.

3. IceVM as default?
to me it seems to be much better functionally, and looks better, and seems to perform better too (?)
why have puppy look old like 95 when it can look new and fresh like XP (or similar)?

other slow apps which would be nice to have more efficient alternatives are gxine and MUT. Quickview might be worth looking into- i haven't used the linux version but i used the dos version (within win9x) and could run (just under) 640x480 DivX files with it.. (albeit in grayscale, and with the odd frame drops) using aforementioned setup.

#2 Post by . »

edit: quickview isn't probably worth looking into (yet) as it is in beta for linux and has no sound support, aswell as not working in Xwindow.

anyway, please comment on above post :)

Dex

#3 Post by Dex »

Mozilla Is actually a good choice because there are many Programs that Depend on Libs from it so i hear.

On the other hand I think Dillo should be the default tho for a couple reasons.

1. It starts faster then the rest of the web browsers
2. Its a Neutral Browser I.E. no one can complain that opera is the defualt cuz they like firefox or mozilla more or visa versa
3. Dillo 0.8.5 has more then enough features including tabs to be a defualt
4. Dont Hate on me for saying this but Windows has IE why not puppy has dillo? Dillo is like a puppy web browser its small fast and easy to use with enough features to be useable
5. Since you can install opera or firefox yourself why not? if pple complain just say Yo go install opera/firefox and be happy
6. I know im most likely Wrong here Cuz i havent done my research on this but isnt dillo also smaller then all three others?
7. I just like it for quick use i dont have to bother waiting for firefox to load or have options and toolbars and buttons takign up my screen when all i wanna do is google somthing

just my thought

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

The only time I've had problems with stuff locking up (in Firefox, anyways) was at a site with stupid scrolling adds. That site infuriated me. Especially since I was already mad at my computer's seeming inability to download Puppy. I got it in the end, though. Otherwise, I have more tabs than I have windowspace on a very regular basis. Every first time I come here each day, actually.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

#5 Post by . »

Dex; i hear you.. but the thing that mainly swung me towards opera over just dillo is that i don't find that it really takes much longer to open etc compared to dillo. and dillo can not handle some web pages with more advanced layouts etc.
its all well and good saying u can install another for the more complex pages/ to your own preferance; but the default distro is for the n00bs, who want to run it off CD only and not have to remaster it or anything else that takes time. this is why i suggested opera as it offers full web functionality along with speed. (it also is a program which (ex)windows users will be familiar with)

Pizzasgood; i imagine u avoid the lock ups due to the fact you have more ram. especially when u consider that the puppy image is loaded into memory.. it probably gives someone with 256MB ram 3 or 4 times more 'application' memory after factoring in the puppy image loading.
still, many people will use it with 128MB i believe and it is a reoccuring issue which is very annoying.

any thoughts re: IceVM ?

thoughtjourney

#6 Post by thoughtjourney »

I love Opera, myself, and use it at work even though I am probably not supposed to. For Puppy, though, an important consideration is that it is closed source, and not really in keeping with Puppy philosophy. Opera certainly has the best full-screen functionality of any browser I've come across, and you can basically surf without the mouse.

I don't like Mozilla, but Firefox is fine, and a very popular browser. I'd be happy if, as hinted at on the news page, Barry returned to Firefox as the default (I like Amaya, too :) ).

As for the window manager question, I think JWM rocks. It is tiny and quite customizable. You can make it look as funky and fresh as you want.
in the beginning was the Logos

http://thoughtjourney.aus.cc

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

thoughtjourney wrote:(I like Amaya, too :)
Hope all is well again?
Wot? You like Amaya? What is it with Amaya? It is counter-intuitive . . .
It must be me - I really tried to like it but it does not even work a lot of the time . . .

Anyway as you have been unwell and I hope recovering nicely . . .
. . . here is a Haiku style poem (I never could be bothered to be constrained by the "offiical" way of writing them . . .) :)
  • Flaming Renard brush forward
    Puppys browsing scent
    Gates jumped by red horses
    Hunt the dance

Live run die
    Precious fox
    Fierce Puppy
    Chasing from the front
    The End
Hope you found the chase invigorating . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

thoughtjourney

#8 Post by thoughtjourney »

gates cannot keep him:
like audacious puppy, so
vivacious lobster

It is good to be back, thanks lobster.

I can't remember exactly what it was I liked about amaya. I think the functionality set appealed to me. I did actually download a windows version for my hubby's laptop, 'cause I liked it so much. I haven't used it for ages, though. I've got Puppy 1.0.5 installed on my hard drive, and am using bluefish currently (rather poorly, too. I'll get around to fixing my website layout eventually... just too many things to catch up on).
in the beginning was the Logos

http://thoughtjourney.aus.cc

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

:)

You sound good - I should know, I am a vivacious cructacean :oops:

Yes the feature set of Amaya is impressive - it is a long time since I have coded HTML in an editor. Only do it when I have to. I would recommend NVU if you can download, it is a dotpup for WSIWYG HTML based on an improved Mozilla composer.

Now that you are back I hope you will try XUL (HTML on XML steriods - like Ajax but much better and safer - less hype) It is also possible that a WYSIWYG XUL based HTML editor might be available.,

You will find so many new ideas and directions in Puppy. One that might be worth pursuing is Nathans Multimedia Grafpup . . . but you will find your niche and maybe we will find new advanced features in the JWM configurator? If you can find the time . . . Family first. Puppy second. :)

Stay Well 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#10 Post by Guest »

Yeah, I read some of the stuff you posted links to (i think...) and was quite interested in XUL. On the to-do list :)

I downloaded JWM 1.1 and had a look at the config file, which is not backwards compatible. I don't think I'll need to make too many changes to jwmconfig, but I am planning on rewriting it a little anyway. I guess that Barry will move to 1.1 eventually, so best if I'm ready for that. I had a look at the version in 1.0.7a, and jwmconfig is a bit broken, so there are a few changes I can make immediately.

I'll have to make a list for the new features. I'll hunt through the forum, but if you have any requests not already posted, write them here :)

I think it will take me years to catch up on what has been happening with Puppy. I did look at Grafpup last night... impressive :)