Seamonkey - lost profile

Using applications, configuring, problems
chirgwin

Seamonkey - lost profile

#1 Post by chirgwin »

Running Puppy 4.20. I accepted Seamonkey's nagging about an old version; installed new version, and it would no longer let me set new message filter rules.

So I tried to revert to the previous version, and Seamonkey lost the profile.

I have a backup, but Seamonkey won't recognise it when I copy it into the profile location.

Has anyone seen this under Puppy? I've moved profiles plenty of times in other OSs - Windows and OpenSUSE - and I haven't seen this before.

davids45

#2 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
A couple of thoughts.
When you copy the saved profile to the directory of the new profile, are you copying the individual files or just dragging over the whole old profile directory? Is the problem the random number/letter name of one profile directory is not what the new Seamonkey is looking for?
The old Seamonkey may have been a special Pup-compiled Seamonkey and the new one has a problem with something in the old compile?

Try the Seamonkey2.0-alpha or beta pet which installs separately to an existing Seamonkey but will import a profile from the existing Seamonkey. I've not had a problem with Sm2 and it doesn't nag about updates.

These Sm updates, when I look at the changes, they seem mostly to be about "security" issues with Windows, so I wonder why I'd bother if the current Seamonkey works well in Puppies.

It would be nice if the nag could be turned off.

David S.

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

Is the problem the random number/letter name of one profile directory is not what the new Seamonkey is looking for?
I don't think that would cause a problem.
It would be nice if the nag could be turned off.
You should be able to turn it off. Go to about:config (put it in the address bar), type update in the filter, double-click on update_notifications.enabled, and turn it off. I'm sure it was always off by default in Puppy prior to 4.2
FWIW I suspect most of us around here consider it generally unnecessary to update browsers in Puppy regularly :)
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER