How to use volume control knob on Acer laptop?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
PlainDave

How to use volume control knob on Acer laptop?

#1 Post by PlainDave »

Hello Puppy Linux type people, :-)

I've read a few other posts regarding audio problems, and I haven't found the answer that I'm looking for. AND... I'm almost afraid to post this question because of people like "cthisbear" who don't seem to have any tolerance for noobs that don't give every freakin' detail about their computer - even non-germane info about their computer.

Anyway, my Acer laptop has a volume knob right on the front of the "box." Using Puppy v. 4.20, that volume knob has no effect on the volume. Of course, the mouse/trackball does, but I want to be able to control the volume with the knob/dial. Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

Blessings,
PlainDave

Patriot

#2 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Nothing to be afraid of ... Just that without having the necessary info, it's like prescribing clarinase for throat problems. Ultimately the wrong prescription for the wrong condition ...

Of course, I can always play the guessing game. I'm guessing that that acer laptop is using intel hda and its mixer's not configured right. So, I'm guessing that the mappings is incorrect and requires some fine tuning. I'm also guessing that it's probably quite easy to fix if all of my earlier guesses is correct. But if its not intel hda then all the above goes out the window .....

So, please ..... in order for the helpful people here to be able to help you, you could kindly help yourself first by giving just only the required details :

1. acer model please ?
2. "lspci" result in a terminal ?
3. "lsmod" result in a terminal ?
4. "amixer controls" result in a terminal

Finally, please don't take offence, none was intended.

Rgds

PlainDave

#3 Post by PlainDave »

Hey, I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my hostilities. I apologize. I have most things working great now. Thanks, people! 8)
Patriot wrote:Hmmm .....

Nothing to be afraid of ... Just that without having the necessary info, it's like prescribing clarinase for throat problems. Ultimately the wrong prescription for the wrong condition ...

Of course, I can always play the guessing game. I'm guessing that that acer laptop is using intel hda and its mixer's not configured right. So, I'm guessing that the mappings is incorrect and requires some fine tuning. I'm also guessing that it's probably quite easy to fix if all of my earlier guesses is correct. But if its not intel hda then all the above goes out the window .....

So, please ..... in order for the helpful people here to be able to help you, you could kindly help yourself first by giving just only the required details :

1. acer model please ?
2. "lspci" result in a terminal ?
3. "lsmod" result in a terminal ?
4. "amixer controls" result in a terminal

Finally, please don't take offence, none was intended.

Rgds

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

So you don't need any help anymore?
Did you get the volume knob working?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER