How to use dialup modem of HP/Compaq laptop? (Solved)

heywoodj

How to use dialup modem of HP/Compaq laptop? (Solved)

#1 Post by heywoodj »

This is the(current) last hurdle in taking this laptop (hp/Compaq nx6125 -- 1.6 GHz AMD, 1.5 GB RAM, 40 GB HDD w/ 1.5 GB swap) running Fluppy 013 as a go-anywhere machine.

The ATI IXP/Conexant modem was initially not detected by PupDial. Running ScanModem, I was told to get the SLMODEMD.gcc4.tar.gz and install it, which I did.

Running from console:

Code: Select all

slmodemd --alsa --conutry=USA -r -d modem:1
I get a bunch of output, and when I run PupDial, it detects a modem at /dev/ttySL0. Great! So entering phone number, username, and password, (no dialtone,carrier, or busy check; yes stupid mode and auto reconnect) I hit connect and ...

NO ANSWER
--> Unknown dial response string.
Checking the dialtone checkbox, I get:

NO DIALTONE
--> No dial tone.
Further research showed that Lucid Puppies do not support software modems well. something about the kernel. Fluppy 013 with the 2.6.35.7 kernel just can't quite manage this modem yet, but I do know that things are just fine in 4.3.1 with the 2.6.30.5 kernel because that's where I'm writing this now.

I did notice that 4.3.1 detects the modem as being at /dev/ttySHSF0 and NOT /dev/ttySL0. I don't know if this is significant.

I feel I'm real close to getting this, but just need a little nudge to finish this, so I'm attaching the pmodemdiag and the ModemData.txt from ScanModem. Hope someone can help.

Thanks, HJ.
Attachments
ModemData.tar.gz
(6.06 KiB) Downloaded 741 times
Last edited by heywoodj on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 04:17, edited 1 time in total.

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

Is Fluppy the only acceptable option, or are you willing to consider Wary?

heywoodj

#3 Post by heywoodj »

Well, i have read about the strength of modem support in Wary, but I've developed a fondness for Fluppy. Truthfully, while I tested many Pups and Puplets, I have yet to try Wary.

Maybe it's time to try Wary? There are enough times when dialup is the only option...

Dewbie

#4 Post by Dewbie »

Here's some background information on Wary.
It basically picks up where 4.3.1 left off.
You can download Wary here.
(There's a k2.6.30.5 version available in the wary-5.1.1 folder, under alternate isos.)
Last edited by Dewbie on Sat 03 Dec 2011, 02:36, edited 1 time in total.

heywoodj

#5 Post by heywoodj »

After reading Barry Kauler's comments on analog modem drivers here,http://bkhome.org/wary/ I'm guessing that for the time being, my meager effort to get my modem working in Fluppy 013 with the 2.6.35.7 kernel would be futile.

I'll add Wary to my kennel next time I can get to a fast connection. You can never have too many Puppies :). Different dogs for different occasions.

heywoodj

Success with Wary

#6 Post by heywoodj »

So, I went and downloaded Wary 5.1.1 with the 2.6.31.14 kernel, and am running it now on a dialup connection.

Wary miraculously detected my modem and connected without a hitch. Thank you Barry K., rerwin and others who make dialup modem support a reality, not mere lip-service.

I'm still customizing Wary to my liking -- for some reason my touchpad seems more erratically over-sensitive compared to Fluppy, though I should be able to adjust that out.

Thanks again, HJ

Dewbie

#7 Post by Dewbie »

That's probably going to be your best bet...for now, at least.
Fluppy's creator, Jemimah, hasn't been on the forum for several months.