How to show (selected) installed programs on the desktop?

Booting, installing, newbie
jhecht

How to show (selected) installed programs on the desktop?

#1 Post by jhecht »

It's almost embarrassing to admit this - but there are no stupid questions. It's only stupid to not ask the question, so...

How can I show (some of) the installed programs on a Puppy 'puter on the desktop? For example, folks here showed me how to install Team Viewer. Now I'd like to have a TV icon on the desktop, so the end user this computer is going to, only has to look there, and click the icon.

This is with Slacko Puppy 5.6.0.

Again, many thanks for the wonderful support by all my fellow Puppians!
John Hechtman / www.zenarrow.com / jhecht@ix.netcom.com
"Computer help in NYC" / 917 628 0192 - cell / 212 586 4633 - landline

norsiwel

creating desktop icons for programs

#2 Post by norsiwel »

If your using JWM as your window manager and the rox pinboard, then just navigate to /usr/share/applications and find the program in there and drag it to the desktop(pinboard) then you may want to edit the name of the icon and even choose another image for it, by right clicking on it and choosing edit.
the only thing that is constant is change

jhecht

Re: creating desktop icons for programs

#3 Post by jhecht »

norsiwel wrote:If your using JWM as your window manager and the rox pinboard, then just navigate to /usr/share/applications and find the program in there and drag it to the desktop(pinboard) then you may want to edit the name of the icon and even choose another image for it, by right clicking on it and choosing edit.
Thanks! Your crystal clear instructions allowed me to do this the first time I tried. All works perfectly.

This tip should be INCLUDED in Puppy manuals!
John Hechtman / www.zenarrow.com / jhecht@ix.netcom.com
"Computer help in NYC" / 917 628 0192 - cell / 212 586 4633 - landline