Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 21:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 5.x
dpup-47x for testing
Moderators: BarryK, Lobster
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 5 of 52 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 50, 51, 52 Next
jduffy22335

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul 2009, 20:47    Post_subject: Re: zd1211rw module loading
Sub_title: No joy with wireless module

jduffy22335 wrote:
gposil wrote:
Hi jduffy22335,

have you checked whether the zd1211rw kernel module is loading...check in wizard wizard, puppy startup

The module appears to be loading and is not in the list of available modules, It does appear in the list of modules to blacklist, so I believe it is trying to load without success. Thanks.

Note: moved up to the dup476c version.

Additional look in this area has me puzzled. New Full install to ext2 at 14 Gigs on SDB3 achieves proper zd1211 drivers loading, but frugal to SDA1 (NTFS) or SDB1 (VFAT) both seem to miss the firmware. These were all created from the same folder of the extracted ISO 476c ???

To add more confusion, it seems I have leftover driver archives and extracted folders in root/tmp for "clean" no save install ! Could setup be not extracting the firmware correctly for frugal Question

Frugal Install error:
phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'pid'
ecb: Unknown symbol blkcipher_walk_done
ecb: Unknown symbol blkcipher_walk_virt
ecb: Unknown symbol crypto_blkcipher_type
phy0: Failed to initialize wep: -2
usb 8-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
zd1211rw: probe of 8-5:1.0 failed with error -2

Full Install to sdb3 (ext2): Works !
usb 8-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'pid'
zd1211rw 8-5:1.0: phy0
usbcore: registered new interface driver zd1211rw

Thanks for any insight, still learning ! Loving the Dpup
netissue.png
 Description   
 Filesize   173.37 KB
 Viewed   1228 Time(s)

netissue.png

gposil

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul 2009, 00:50    Post_subject:  

following jduffy22335's lead, I did a full install of 476c and I am blown away...suddenly lots of things that didn't work do and the speed, makes my 4.1.2 full install look like a snail...I have got to get the niggly bits right on the run from cd and frugal, and this will be a flyer....
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul 2009, 07:54    Post_subject: esata issue in Medion MD 8818  

OK then.
Made a dummy pup_save and configuration data like keyboard, X etc.. were saved now.
Unfortunately, my wireless card isn't recognized.
The driver RT73usb isn't in this distribution.
I got the necessary modules and firmware from my upup 466 install and copied them to the dpup 476 one. But when trying to load, the module wasn't found. Maybe something else has to be done, I don't know.

I didn't find my previous notes back yet, but did a quick test.
Kernel 2.6.29.1 isn't the only salvation, as I could boot and use the second HDD with Mu's New Year's Pup rc10. The kernel here is 2.6.28.5 (single processor) and puppy 4.1.1

Further I tried pup42smp (I think it's Aragon's smp version) of puppy 4.20 and at kernel 2.6.29.1 and the second HDD was seen and could be used.

I tried ppup 413 (kernel 2.6.25.16) and slaxer 4.12 (kernel 2.6.27.7) but none of these showed the second HDD. The first one was ok.

So that's it for the moment. Hope it shed some light.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
gposil

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul 2009, 08:11    Post_subject:  

....I'm going to recompile the 2.6.27.4 kernel with the missing modules...hopefully that should fix your problem Béèm...will release that as 476d...in a day or two..i'm web site building at the moment...PetStore.
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul 2009, 10:32    Post_subject:  

OK gposil. There is no hurry.
I was glad already there is movement in dpup.

Your web site looks promising.
If I may permit, did you think in including a search facility?

Use peppyy's puppysearch
gposil

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul 2009, 10:41    Post_subject:  

Yes Béèm there will be Package search as well as text search... Smile
Béèm

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul 2009, 14:28    Post_subject:  

gposil wrote:
Yes Béèm there will be Package search as well as text search... Smile
Good to hear that.
Use peppyy's puppysearch
davids45

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jul 2009, 20:56    Post_subject:  

G'day,
I tried the dpup-476c last night.

Used the acpi=off boot parameter and successfully added a frugal 476c install using the Universal Installer.

Like Béèm, I found that I had now had no wireless network - we have the same model Medion computer. The eth0 connection was fine.

There is a long delay (black screen) between telling the Xorg wizard what settings to use and the appearance of the cursor. I have not seen this on any other Pup where they are very quick to go from wizard to display.

Seamonkey in dpup476c is the old Mail-less version - so I installed ttuuxxx's Pup-specific 1.1.15 pet which nicely overwrote the Mail-less 1.1.14 Seamonkey & Sylpheed as defaults. Seamonkey 2.0 also installed nicely and seperately albeit with a too-small font. (I use Seamonkey for emails and only secondarily as a browser. So Sylpheed is also redundant for me).

dpup476c still uses the 3.1 type of sfs file - is this a function of the kernel? I have no problem with either 3 or 4 type of sfs file but I would like to know beforehand which sfs type the particular Pup uses so I can install the frugal into the appropriate partition. Now I check when I'm on the Live CD by trying to mount an sfs of one type - if I get an error, then I know it uses the other type of sfs.
Once frugally installed, my existing range of 3.1 sfs ran well in the dpup476c - I assume 6 is still the limit of sfs files to boot up with?

Dual cores very quick with this dpup when I play Bubbles. I did notice the Universal Installer suggested adding nosmp on the Grub menu.lst line (which I ignored). Installer was otherwise good.

Multimedia was good (noise & pictures).

Shutting down still doesn't totally power off the computer - system halts OK, and re-booting to another Pup or XP is also OK.

Thanks for what you've put together so far.

David S.
Béèm

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul 2009, 03:49    Post_subject:  

davids45 wrote:
Shutting down still doesn't totally power off the computer - system halts OK, and re-booting to another Pup or XP is also OK.
I suppose this is due to the acpi=off boot option.
Therefor I would like to be able to boot correctly with acpi=on, as there are other side effects to device detection not being done correctly maybe.

I don't know what implies working with acpi=off and what functionality I would loose. Somethinh like suspend or hibernation functionality? Other?

Use peppyy's puppysearch
Béèm

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul 2009, 03:55    Post_subject: esata issue on Medion MD 8818 continuation  

Davids45 reminded me at the acpi=off trick.
I retried (did forget about the results) it on upup 476 and I got indeed the second HDD.

Without the acpi=off boot parm boot freezes at ...308K memory freed.

upup 476 uses kernel 2.6.29.4

Use peppyy's puppysearch
gposil

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul 2009, 05:21    Post_subject:  

Sorry I haven't been back to anyone today...having major problems with satellite(skymesh) in OZ...it is still very erratic and goes offline at the drop of a hat...

I have started recompiling 2.6.27.4...2.6.29.4 not an option as uniproc in Barry's kernel...and I want to keep the multi-core support as it runs very nicely....

Have tracked down quite a few missing kernel modules and will hopefully give 476d a real boost...also, one point i'm not sure of, I don't have to acpi=off to boot and run 476c so there must be other kernel issues involved here, anyway 476d should address a lot of these problems with different hardware.

Cheers

Béèm

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul 2009, 05:59    Post_subject: esata on Medion MD 8818 acpi=off boot option  

gposil, don't be sorry not to be there every day.

To inform about the latest test I made:
I am not as lucky as my soul mate in Medion MD 8818 affairs, davids45.
I tried the dpup 476b and dpup 476c with pfix=ram and acpi=off.
Boot is ok, but no second HDD (the esata)

I tried, with the same boot options, the dpup 476b kernel 2.6.29.1 and was blessed with a kernel panic.

Will try the dpup 476d when available and report back.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
gposil

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jul 2009, 21:27    Post_subject:  

Hope to have 476d out later today...with a number of fixes including missing modules and the Gparted fixed, as well as shinobar's chooselocale fix...I must say at this stage that I will keep sfs3 for backward compatability...

BTW...I find the full install of dpup a very satisfying thing, it is fast and seems very stable...and it is so easy to install new software...I have been experimenting with SeaMonkey 2.0 and I think that 476e will have it replacing cut down 1.1.x and sylpheed...it's just so quick,...same core as ff 3.5.1...

Cheers

tubby

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jul 2009, 02:10    Post_subject:  

@posil,
One problem i have found with the dpup builds is when you try to remove packages on a full install that are user installed with package manager, it sometimes corrupts xorg.
Might be worth you trying it before releasing your next distro.
Keep up the good work, dpup is the way to go.
gposil

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jul 2009, 23:18    Post_subject:  

Just finishing final touches on 476d...will be up soon...

During testing I was able to get a fully working apt-get, so synaptic is only a download away...the downside, synaptic and depends is quite big, so I think we'll leave that as individual choice as to whether people want it...but apt will certainly be in 476e...quite small and very useful.

Cheers

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 5 of 52 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 50, 51, 52 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 5.x
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum