How to use US Robotics 56K USB Faxmodem?

eengler

How to use US Robotics 56K USB Faxmodem?

#1 Post by eengler »

Hi, total linux newb here, love puppy linux so far but I am stuck with a USR265633B 56K USB Faxmodem as my only means of connecting to the internet. Is there any way that this will work with puppy linux? No luck yet...It shows up in my list of devices, but probing for modem comes up empty.

rerwin

#2 Post by rerwin »

eengler,
Sorry for that lack of a response for so long. I have searched for information on this modem and everything indicates that there is no linux support for it.
It shows up in my list of devices
Please tell me more about that. The (Menu>System>) PupScan "USB devices" button should show it, but probably with "Driver unknown". But the Vendor and Product IDs might be useful.

Have you used the modem with Windows? Does Windows hardware manager show whether it uses a COM port, and which one? My guess is that it is a serial modem interfaced through a buiilt-in USB-to-serial converter, for which we might have a driver.

Don't get your hopes up, but at worst we can rule these converters out.
Richard

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

eengler

I had a USR fax modem that did not work with Puppy (just before going over to broadband)

There is more support for modems in the 4.3 beta which should be available this weekend August 8-9 2009

I hope you can swap or someone can send you a Linux compatible modem or you can buy a cheap modem. Let us know how it works out . . .

:D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

puppyite

#4 Post by puppyite »

Hi eengler,
Search the software disk that came with the modem for a folder or readme file about Linux to see what if anything they have to say.

Leave the modem plugged in, reboot and try the probe button again. This may make no difference at all but it’s worth a shot. If that fails try the following:

Start ROX-Filer.

Click the up arrow.

Click the etc folder.

Click wvdial.conf file to open for editing.

The first line may (or may not) say: Modem = /dev/ttyS1

Change this line to: Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0

Save the file, close the file.

See if you can connect.

If connect fails close connection dialog then edit wvdial.conf again but this time try: Modem = /dev/ttyUSB1

Note: For a modem to work in Linux it must be a controller based modem (aka hardware modem). AFAIK any USB modem meets this requirement. Win modems (aka software modems) typically do not work in linux. A Win modem uses a Windows (only) driver to offload the task of making a connection onto the PC processor.

I use an internal USR PCI modem. I have no experience using a USB modem. I too am new to Linux and Puppy. Use these instructions at your own risk.