vmPuppy 2.14X - Now Version 9

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
SilverPuppy

Good ideas....

#31 Post by SilverPuppy »

Yes indeed, good ideas all of them. I hadn't considered some of those very good uses.

Reminds me of this, which someone sent me today:

----------------------------------------
You are driving down the road in your car on a wild, stormy night, when you pass by a bus stop and you see three people waiting for the bus:

1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.

2. An old friend who once saved your life.

3. The perfect partner you have been dreaming about.

Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing that there could only be one passenger in your car? Think before you continue reading.

This is a moral/ethical dilemma that was once actually used as part of a job application. You could pick up the old lady, because she is going to die, and thus you should save her first. Or you could take the old friend because he once saved your life, and this would be the perfect chance to pay him back. However, you may never be able to find your perfect mate again.

YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS....................

The candidate who was hired (out of 200 applicants) had no trouble coming up with his answer. He simply answered: 'I would give the car keys to my old friend and let him take the lady to the hospital. I would stay behind and wait for the bus with the partner of my dreams.'

Sometimes, we gain more if we are able to give up our stubborn thought limitations.

Never forget to 'Think Outside of the Box.
-----------------------------------------------------

By the way, you misspelled my handle. :O

Aitch

#32 Post by Aitch »

playdayz wrote:finally, i have always kind of favored a "unified" operating system, meaning i would like to run the best Linux, Mac, and Windows programs conveniently on one computer with easy back and forth access, copy and paste, shared files, and so forth; because of that i am interested in wine as well as virtualizers.
yep, me too, except for the wine bit.....something about the nasty taste using windoze stuff leaves in my mind.....I'm trying to avoid corrupting my linux experience, which is still a big learning curve for me, for jobs I can still do fairly quickly in windoze, until something unexpected happens, and I then struggle to recover unrelated stuff that gets lost in the crash
Windoze may be known bad, but I still wear it like an old jumper more comfortably than my newish linux equivalents - too many years with W95/98.....before discovering any other OSs

I work [as a retirement hobby & to relieve boredom/retain a sense of purpose] busting viral activity with a friend in the same room, & often use a shared scanner/printer all-in-one, and a Lacie Networked hard drive, and we often need to share files/links when tracking down some nasties
We both now run sandboxed XP, [mine is a fairly recent upgrade from 2K, following a major mobo-destroying incident earlier this year on my SCSI-based system of 5 years, which cost me a lot of data....] and my friend is an xbasic programmer, too, writing a plain language learning AI system that he hopes to put on the web...] so the beauty of being able to copy/paste from virtualised puppy to windoze/network, still strongly attracts me....[and I have a MAC-nutty friend, too :lol: who occasionally visits and wants to share stuff....]
I just haven't managed to get it to go yet....... :(
Neither VMWare nor Virtualbox seem to want to share on my box and I've not managed to figure out why.....
Slampp is the closest I've got, but it's too big/slow....and there always seems to be something needing tweaking, no matter what Puppy I use - just to get everything working as it should....

hmm, this must be one of my down days....excuse my whinginess - 'sh*t happens', as they say :lol:

/aside

SilverPuppy; re: the climate change debacle, this recently published review...

http://www.thepeoplesvoice.org/TPV3/Voi ... arming-swi

Aitch :)

playdayz

#33 Post by playdayz »

hey guys, i personally don't care about windows much at all-I have much more fun with Puppy. However i do like to use good software--and there are some programs that were written to run in windows that I think are among the best. My best example is probably Cool Edit 2000. It was available in two editions, Regular and Pro; I had the regular. Several years ago Adobe bought it and reissued it as the hugely expensive Audition (actually the same price as Cool Edit Pro but that seemed expensive to me). One guy David Johnson wrote it and I have still seem nothing better--fortunately I have it running in both XP and Vista (wine also). These is also another shareware I use Picture Window which was also written by one person to meet the needs of serious photographers, also runs in wine.

btw aitch, i have quit using vmware because i found out that it was the culprit screwing up my home network. since your experience i am being more careful about recommending even virtualbox.

here's my spam at the bottom ;-) actually they are both my sites and there is nothing for sale on them anywhere ;-)

Aitch

#34 Post by Aitch »

Hi Playdayz

Thanks for the update....

Re: your preferred windoze software, have you considered puppyluvr's Puppy Artist's Workshop/Pupitup/Mediapup in one DVD

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41455

Sounds pretty close to what you're after - in puppy/linux even.... :D

One of these days, a team will come together to sort virtualising out for Puppy - I hope

Thanks for your efforts,.....close,.... but no cookie :wink:
here's my spam at the bottom......
no cookie there either... :lol:

Aitch :)

recycler

vmware puppy

#35 Post by recycler »

Thanks for this. Seems 700mb ram is a reasonable minimum to get this working well on XP. It is a fact of life that XP is so dominant - to be able to subvert that by running Puppy in Windows is truly a grand achievement :D
[i][quote] [/quote]
[/i]Puppy 412 and 430