Diskless Webdev Puplet?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
djnrempel

Diskless Webdev Puplet?

#1 Post by djnrempel »

1st - yes, I know about browserpuppy and the spinoff webserverpuppys. But they are based on 4.12.

I am wanting to find / create a version of puppy that will allow me to develop and maintain a web site, but also have the computer be useful for me as a general desktop.

And I want it to be a diskless system - frugal, boot from USB drive (I have 768MB RAM). Also, using web-based apps such as google docs is a bonus - desktop icons for these would be great.

However, rather than baking the additional apps into the sfs, I'd rather have a link to a web page of the non-standard PETs and let people choose whether they want geany/bluefish, Opera / Firefox / Dillo / etc., LAMP / XAMPP? Right now it is too hard to find these.

I tried barebones 4.21 but had trouble installing non-standard PETs such as LAMP and Opera. It was too "bare bones".

I guess I'm just looking for a polished but minimalist puplet based on 4.30.

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

Hi djnrempel; I don`t think 412, 431, or 440 is going to make a difference.
Most any Puppy version will do what you`re talking about.
Bare bones Puppies have a lot of libraries removed, so dependancies...

Note: A USB or CD is still a drive, I thought you were talking PXE boot.

raffy

barebones

#3 Post by raffy »

LAMP will install fine since it is complete by itself.

Opera can be added via PET - look here for new builds.

Firefox is similarly easy to install to a Seamonkey-based Puppy, just decompress to a folder and click to run.

You can remaster the system once you are happy with it.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

djnrempel

#4 Post by djnrempel »

After using 4.30 I find there are features / bugfixes that I don't want to regress to by using 4.21 or earlier, but pet-be-gone does not work in 4.30, so I can't remove unwanted packages.

Sorry, I meant an HDD-less system. I also want the OS to load into RAM, and I like the ability to back everything up by coping the pupsave file. I just want to run from USB becaus HDDs are very noisy (and power-hungry) in my system.

I guess I'll just wait for something like pet-be-gone to be created for 4.30, or a barebones 4.30