SFS Installer GUI (tested on Quirky) NOV 2014

Miscellaneous tools
trio

#16 Post by trio »

8bit,

no, it does not check sfs version whether 3 or 4...as long as it can be mounted and copied, it should work. don't do it on msdos/vfat/ntfs partition

Note: it mounts and copies (installs) not loads sfs

Cheers

8-bit

#17 Post by 8-bit »

Thank you for the information on that.
I read somewhere that one should not use a sfs installer on devx or the kernel source sfs files. I did once though with an early sfs installer for full hard drive installs. I think it was contributed by sunburnt.
It installed sfs type files correctly, but did not remove empty directories left after file deletion.

Gill_Baits

#18 Post by Gill_Baits »

!

kevin bowers

SFS-Installer works great on Puppy4.3.1

#19 Post by kevin bowers »

I was getting frustrated--no PET to install OpenOffice.org on Puppy4.3.1! Came across SFS-Installer. On my new-2-u P4 Dell with a SATA HD, this little utility installed OO.o so fast I thought it failed! Seems to be all there though. I also installed dev-x but haven't tested it yet; I don't anticipate any problems there. Thanks Trio!

paule

SFS Installer not working with Macpup Foxy 3 (puppy 4.31)

#20 Post by paule »

For some reason SFS Installer is not working with MacPup Foxy 3 (Puppy 4.31). The package installs fine but will not install any .sfs files.
Yes, I am using the 430 version, and the earlier version works fine on my 4.21 setup. I have tried installing the openoffice3.sfs package, as well as the oxygenoffice .sfs files, but to no avail.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers, Paul

mistfire

Re: GUI installer

#21 Post by mistfire »

Can you make the SFS installer equipped SFS modules converter in case of installing SFS modules from other puppy version (esp. during upgrades), the SFS modules will be converted to latest version first before install it on full HD.

trio

Re: GUI installer

#22 Post by trio »

mistfire wrote:Can you make the SFS installer equipped SFS modules converter in case of installing SFS modules from other puppy version (esp. during upgrades), the SFS modules will be converted to latest version first before install it on full HD.

use this first before you want to install sfs
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51347

Or more info, see main page

8-bit

#23 Post by 8-bit »

I have used your SFS installer on a frugal install of Puppy 431, and Puppy 432 and I can install the kernel source SFS, and the devx SFS files and have them work without rebooting.
When I am through, and before I shut down, I can then use Puppy Package Manager to uninstall them.
I never tried it with a low memory PC though. I have 3 gigs memory to play with.
But to be able to do that without ever rebooting is a plus in my opinion.
If you cannot tell, you have a fan here!

trio

#24 Post by trio »

8bit

You're welcome!

KusaNoKaito

#25 Post by KusaNoKaito »

@trio. Great app! works flawlessly in puppy 431, and with it I was able to install my favorite .sfs without screwing anything up! many thanks.

trio

#26 Post by trio »

Update v 1.2: tested on quirky

see main post

Pelo

what are the modified files in the SFS ?

#27 Post by Pelo »

Something to be clarified for newbies (or people hating programming)
Editsfs open any SFS, without converting it
SFS convert : what are the modified files in the SFS ?
2016 : i am used to load 'all' puppies 4 on the back of newest ones, mainly to get wireless connexion.
Version converter is a real trouble,