BCI-hinting-enabled libfreetype PET packages

Core libraries and systems
Roy

#16 Post by Roy »

Sit Heel Speak, you are correct in believing that my screenshot function works (out-of-the-box) on my Inspiron 910 netbook. However,....

Ahem... I kinda' hate to bring this up, but believe I've been running Xorg with Boxpup 413. Back in the Dingo time-frame, it was either Xvesa or the extra steps to bring up the generic driver in Xorg that would work on my netbook. Somewhere around Puppy 4.1 ~ 4.1.2's introduction, Xorg began working correctly out-of-the-box with a 1024x600x24 screen resolution.

Keep in mind that I'm just an end-user and that if Puppy is somewhow defaulting to Xvesa after I choose Xorg... then that is something I cannot speak inteligently about. I am simply not aware of that as a realistic possibility. To my knowledge, I have been using Xorg in all of these tests.

A couple of finer points to bring up, in the hope that they will be helpful:

1) I don't recall getting the leafpad Success Notification when trying your first .pet; Perhaps I was not waiting long enough afterwards? (I did get the small system notification -- just not the additional text file for Leafpad)

2) If you wish to add an additional screenshot capture function, I might suggest a 4 ~ 5 second delay. I had a bugger of a time getting the menu to come up for the shot given previously (using the touch pad interface), and that was with a 3-second delay.

-Roy

P.S. - If it would really help you, I could try to post some file outputs from my system -- but you will have to give me the commands to run and instruct me on pasting the results to a text file. Just let me know, so that I can start begging for personal internet access again...

Sit Heel Speak

#17 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Roy wrote:Sit Heel Speak, you are correct in believing that my screenshot function works (out-of-the-box) on my Inspiron 910 netbook. However,....

Ahem... I kinda' hate to bring this up, but believe I've been running Xorg with Boxpup 413...
heh, it's always something...

if you have /var/log/Xorg.0.log then you are running XOrg. Otherwise, XVesa.

I see that the I-910 has integrated Intel 945 system and video adapter, relatively bleeding edge, less than a year old, I have an Intel Classmate that has the same. Getting too late now but tomorrow night I'll load boxpup-413 on it and see if it behaves with respect to my pet package like yours does.

The fact that, here, screencap works under XVesa and not under XOrg...isn't the only clue.

On boxpup-413 Pfind is fast and reliable under XVesa, while under XOrg Pfind crashes. Also I've noticed a problem which Thunar has when showing very deeply nested subfolders, it shows the contents of the wrong level and there seems to be a rather low upper limit to the length of full pathname Thunar can handle. Therefore, and I'm not taking away anything from his amazing achievement in grafting Openbox onto Puppy, but, I suspect that gray overlooked something really, really fundamental. Built a Ford but used a Chevy driveshaft, something like that. But to track it down precisely might take months.

I'll need to see what happens with boxpup and the Classmate before I can offer intelligent suggestions.

Maybe lsmod, /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and /var/log/Xorg.0.log would tell an interesting tale, but no point in your PM'ing me the whole things. Not yet, at any rate.
Roy wrote:A couple of finer points to bring up, in the hope that they will be helpful:
1) I don't recall getting the leafpad Success Notification when trying your first .pet; Perhaps I was not waiting long enough afterwards?
No, the first one, the one that crashed the WM, didn't have it. Somehow a success notification after it crashed the window manager, seemed inappropriate :lol: ...I introduced the SN after rearrangeing the installer drastically to avoid the wm freeze, you can see an outline description of how it works at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45217
Roy wrote:2) If you wish to add an additional screenshot capture function, I might suggest a 4 ~ 5 second delay. I had a...time getting the menu to come up for the shot given previously (using the touch pad interface), and that was with a 3-second delay.
There is an active thread on screen capture utilities over at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42945
Someone there can probably point you to exactly what you want, if you tell them you are having difficulty with a touchpad and describe what you'd like.

Back in 24. Oh, btw, I meant to ask you, would you mind telling me where I can get that beautiful wolf-in-forest background?

***edited 16 hours later: I'm posting this from boxpup-413-r1 and I now take back what I said in the other thread. The list of improvements which gray posts concerning the -r1 version over his original 413 at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41378
is incomplete; obviously the much-too-modest gray did further work in -r1 to better integrate Openbox with X in Puppy. Screencap from within XOrg works. Pfind from within XOrg doesn't crash and is acceptably fast. The deeply-nested subfolders bug in Thunar is fixed.

So, Roy, I'm going to close the book on boxpup-413 here, recommend you beg your wife / parents / sibling / parole officer / accountant or whomever for another 100 MB of personal bandwidth, download either boxpup-413-r1 or boxpup-421, and then install Firepup from ttuuxxx's .pet. (I will look at boxpup-421 in a couple hours from now and give you my opinion here).

***edited: boxpup 4.21-retro looks good. I will make one for boxpup-4.13-r1 and one for boxpup-4.21. And hope that gray sees fit to make a boxpup that supports SMP...***
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sun 16 Aug 2009, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

Roy

#18 Post by Roy »

Sit Heel Speak,

Thank you for your efforts. I am using Xorg but, after doing some additional research, see that Xorg has not learned how to play very well with Intel's GM945 video yet. Looking at my /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows a lot of VESA entries after Xorg tries to load.... The funny thing is that I have not experienced the instability problems in Boxpup 413 that you mentioned (Pfind and Screenshot Capture work well). Oh, well.

Going back to my wolf in the forest wallpaper, I have no idea where I originally got it from. A lot of stuff available on the internet ends up with labels like "Antarctic%20-%20National%20-%20Park%20@%20mid%20-%20morning" or something equally as non-descriptive, so I rename the .jpg's with something that makes sense to me; in this case, I renamed the photo to "wolf" and saved it as a 1024x600 .jpg. Hence, finding the original source may be impossible. (I may still have a 1024x768 of wolf.jpg on another drive.) PM me if you would like for me to e-mail you a copy.

I am sorry that this one didn't work out but, again, thank you for your work.

-Roy

disciple

#19 Post by disciple »

I seem to remember hearing about a search engine that you could feed a picture and it would analyse it and search for similar ones...
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Sit Heel Speak

#20 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

All right, I'll PM you my private email address for the wolf pic.

I've decided also to invent a new game. Similar to Win Ben Stein's Money on TV. It's called Win Your Own Personalized Puppy ISO From Sit Heel Speak.

In recognition of volunteer testpilot services rendered and steadfast sportsmanship, you're the first winner!!!!

Your prize is boxpup 4.13r1 revised by yours truly, with an SMP kernel, my fonting improvements pre-built-in, and a 5-second delay on the openbox screen cap, all tuned specifically for the Intel 945 chipset. You also get to name up to five further trimmings to add, whatever you'd like!!! Except, wireless is iffy, I don't use it so can only take a best-guess at implementing it...

Choose wisely, Grasshopper... :)

rubing

BCI pet

#21 Post by rubing »

Sit Heel Speak,

I am interesting in trying your BCI hinting pet on my dell c840 laptop. The fonts look allright, but there is always room for improvement.

I am using puppy 430.

Thanks,

rubing

Sit Heel Speak

Re: BCI pet

#22 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

rubing wrote:...I am interesting in trying your BCI hinting pet on my dell c840 laptop....
I'm busy at the moment, putting the finishing touches on Roy's prize (see above), but will see what I can do. Might take a week or two.

vovchik

#23 Post by vovchik »

Dear Sit Heel Speak,

I thought I had nice fonts (with proper freetype hinting) on my Samsung NC-10. However, after applying your mods to xorg, my fonts are even clearer and prettier. Many thanks.

With kind regards,
vovchik

DaveS

#24 Post by DaveS »

Would one of these work for Quirky?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

disciple

#25 Post by disciple »

Probably. Boot with pfix=ram and try it.
I've successfully used a freetype built for an old 1.x puppy in Quirky :)
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER