Hurtin on the HP Laserjet 1018

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
walkingthedog

Hurtin on the HP Laserjet 1018

#1 Post by walkingthedog »

I ve down loaded every possible PET package related to hpljs hplis foomatic etc and installed. On ADMIN I see the precise HP LJ 1018 entry and it sets up perfectly per the dialogue. I try a test print and nothing happens except a print job number. In one of the folders I see all 34 or so back print jobs spooled. But somewhere something is missing. I ve unplugged the USB powered down powered up and replugged the printer so I should get firmware sent to the printer. Can anyone give me any clue to work on?

My partition is gettting filled in with what I assume is prn files. glug glug

thanks much puppy trainers.

Ted

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

The correct driver for your printer is "foo2zjs" which you can download from here.

You are correct that this printer needs firmware downloaded from its host, but in Puppy, you may need to do this manually. Go to the folder /usr/share/foo2zjs and locate the file sihp1018.dl. You can send it to the printer with a command like:

Code: Select all

dd if=/usr/share/foo2zjs/firmware/sihp1018.dl of=/dev/usb/lp0
If you read farther down this Printers section, you will find more messages about the HP1000 group of printers and how to install the firmware.

It's a mystery why HP includes this printer in the HPIJS package when their own driver doesn't work.

Regarding the queued-up print jobs: you need to go into the Jobs section of the CUPS web interface and delete them.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 28 Sep 2009, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

walkingthedog

thank you very much

#3 Post by walkingthedog »

RCRSN what can I say except thank you ver' much. Downloading the PET as we speak. NB says Stratford, thanks, and hope your festival comes back. Ted W T D

walkingthedog

firmware not pushing out to HP1018

#4 Post by walkingthedog »

RCRSN I have foomatic installed but the needed firmware -- problem. The terminal responds "not found" to your exact syntax. I made the effort to check the forums for firmware pushouts for the HP1000 printers but came up short.

Also I see a raft of detailed instructions at

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 336#184635

but I m taking it that your instructions to me will do the trick if only I can get the firmware over there to the HP1018 somehow

THANKS again

W T D