How do I save to the disk while running Puppy?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
spiffytech

How do I save to the disk while running Puppy?

#1 Post by spiffytech »

I use the Puppy multisession disk, and sometimes my changes aren't burned back to the disk at shut-down. The FAQ states that there is a way to save the changes while running Puppy. How do I do this? I want to so I can be sure it works before I shut down and loose it all.

-Brian

Perkins

#2 Post by Perkins »

I'm not exactly sure. But since nobody who is seems to be answering I'll take a shot and pointing you in the right direction. Look at the shutdown and reboot scripts and see if they perhaps call a different script for burning the data to the CD. If they do then you can probably just use that script to write the data before shutting down. I think. I've been known to be wrong before, and my multisession CD is currently toast, so I can't really test it very well for you.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

In Puppy 1.0.6 and 1.0.7 multisession DVD (I don't know about CD) there is a "save" icon at the top right corner. Clicking on it saves the current state to the DVD but doesn't shut Puppy down. It works for me when Puppy won't save properly at shutdown, usually when there is a lot to save.

Trying it out is as easy as downloading Puppy 1.0.7a and burning a 25 cent CD with Start -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd.

Perkins

#4 Post by Perkins »

Got bored, did some digging, found it. If you have an earlier version that doesn't have the spiffy save button, the script is /root/.etc/rc.d/rc.reboot-cd

Keep in mind that this script appears to shut down several of the background services (I just glanced through it, not sure what all it kills. I think it might also unmount the filesystem...) So you may or may not be able to continue using the computer for anything complex after you run it, but it will let you make sure it saves everything properly before it shuts down so you don't risk losing your work.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Actually I wouldn't mind if multisession Puppy only saved manually, when you tell it to. The automagic-save-at-shutdown feature seems to be more trouble than it's worth. Perhaps a simple reminder could be included: multisession Puppy asks if you have saved your work before it shuts down.