CPU FREQUENCY SCALING 1.3-2 - Ondemand (dynamic) - GUI

Miscellaneous tools
trio

#16 Post by trio »

Steve,

Menu - utility - cpu scaling - choose a module - click activate (until you get a success message pop up) - read the success message - see lowest and highest frequencies values - put the lowest in min box, you may want to put the highest or second highest in max box, click activate - a success message will pop up. You're done.

If you want to monitor cpu temperature - search for pwidgets or conky in the forum

Thanks, btw you have dual core?

Aragon,

This is exactly what I meant about newbies, I just want to help them out. They are eager to try things out, but not yet too expert in comand line.

trio

#17 Post by trio »

Now I can confirm (since nobody is reporting) that on DUAL CORE also works :lol:
Attachments
dual-core.jpg
(29.59 KiB) Downloaded 2323 times

mikeb

#18 Post by mikeb »

Is there a way of checking what speed the cpu is running at or perhaps its current scaling factor.....cat /proc/blah sort of thing?

mike

trio

#19 Post by trio »

mikeb wrote:Is there a way of checking what speed the cpu is running at or perhaps its current scaling factor.....cat /proc/blah sort of thing?

mike
ok, try

Code: Select all

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq

mikeb

#20 Post by mikeb »

Thanks...nothing there but found governor as 'ladder' and driver as 'acpi_idle'.
Its a HP2133 VIA C7-M cpu and althogh I cannot see any related module I suspect that it already has some form of cpu scaling...or is something like 'ondemand' needed to activate it?

regards
mike

trio

#21 Post by trio »

Mikeb,

I think it's not activated. Did you try the app? I don't think so.

Anyway, my old ibm 570e doesn't have a module that's compatible with it, BUT, after scrolling through BIOS, I found that it can be set from BIOS. Some computers maybe like that.

mikeb

#22 Post by mikeb »

I think it's not activated. Did you try the app? I don't think so.
sussed :D well I was trying to determine if I needed it and if I could monitor behaviour if I did

Well I will take the plunge :)

mike

Patriot

#23 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
mikeb wrote:.....
Its a HP2133 VIA C7-M cpu .....
I believe this note here may be of some help. The required module is available on retro and std kernel.

Rgds

mikeb

#24 Post by mikeb »

Sorry for not replying earlier..I re-read the manual approach thread and pennies dropped...e_powersaver and ondemand loaded and all works as it should :) ..guess i like to get dirty hands.

Are those processors really running at 844mV ?!!

I also have the fan set at 40% min in the bios as it tends to be a bit of a hot potato which is quiet but reduces the need for 100% fan speed.

Cheers all

mike

ARAN

#25 Post by ARAN »

Just Installed your Programm in the new 4.3 Release.

The installation proccess was bugfree.
The Programm seem also to work good but i miss the needed Modules
in the new Release for CPU Scalling.

The Possibility to download and install the needed CPU Scalling Modules for the Kernel over the Internet would make this Programm Perfect !

aragon

#26 Post by aragon »

ARAN wrote:The Possibility to download and install the needed CPU Scalling Modules for the Kernel over the Internet would make this Programm Perfect !
?????
everything needed is there by default, what do you want to install? what you need to do is find out, which cpu-driver you need.

this thread might be of help http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28443
aragon

aragon

#27 Post by aragon »

@ ARAN :oops: :oops: :oops:
all i can do is apologize!

i've by mistake loaded 4.3 Beta 3 and they are all there. now that i look at 4.3-small in quemu, what should i say, can't find the modules any more, you're right.

maybe someone else should look at this, but seems to be a big bug.

so, again sorry.

aragon

aragon

#28 Post by aragon »

now i'm a little wiser.

this is a problem for pup-430-small.iso. the regular one pup-430.iso does contain the modules in the zp430305.sfs. i don't know if it's a bug or by design but i will post it in the bugs-section.

aragon

trio

#29 Post by trio »

Hmm, incomplete modules in 430 small version....

ARAN

#30 Post by ARAN »

aragon wrote:now i'm a little wiser.

this is a problem for pup-430-small.iso. the regular one pup-430.iso does contain the modules in the zp430305.sfs. i don't know if it's a bug or by design but i will post it in the bugs-section.

aragon
Hello aragon.

It would be great if somebody could try to boot the official ISO full in to ram and proove if the modules were loaded and copied.

If i remeber right even in the official ISO from ibiblio the modules arent loaded and copied. at least the directory "/lib/modules/..." was empty.

Still thanks a lot for your answer.
It helped me a lot as it prooved that i in my puppy the modules were missed.

Ther is also a bug for some reason in the gui cpu freq scalling tool.

I have only performance at the moment working.
Other people too.

trio

#31 Post by trio »

Updated - V 1.3 - see main page

aragon

#32 Post by aragon »

- Added refresh module button (you have to reboot after), useful when you use other computer's pupsave file
hi trio,

one question (as a reboot takes time): couldn't this be solved by removing the 'old' modules with rmmod and than setting up the new ones?

aragon

trio

#33 Post by trio »

aragon,

Yes, you are right! Why didn't I think of that, so I need to blank the startup script and rmmod.
Will do that for version update plus a tooltip to give people a brief notification about this

Cheers

trio

#34 Post by trio »

Aragon,

i have to take back what I post above, using rmmod gives trouble, I can't modprobe the same module. It hangs. It's the safest way to reboot I think
Last edited by trio on Wed 13 Jan 2010, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.

trio

#35 Post by trio »

Updated to v. 1.3-1: see main post