Fatdog2 64bit alpha1

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
archwndas

#31 Post by archwndas »

Hi there,
I did as you instructed me to do so. I installed this package and rebooted. On the next reboot the firmware was there, in /lib/firmware but the module is not loaded. I load the module manually and again I see the same thing. nothing. Zero. I mean that keeping the firmwares in /lib/firmware did not pay off. The module is there, you can see it in lsmod along with its dependencies, but the wlan0 or eth1 or whatever does not appear in
#ifconfig -a

I will try to copy the files where puppy keeps them so it is not confused (maybe the script is confused if it finds the firmware in /lib/firmware) who knows ... This is my last hope.

Later the same day ... No guys. It doesn't work. I replaced the file in /lib/modules/all-firmware/ (the iwlsomething.tar.gz) with a new one including the new firmware. I also removed the new firmware from /lib/firmware. The result was that unfortunately even the module now was not loaded and no messages about in dmsg incuded the keywork firmware. Still the wireless interface wlan0 doesn't appear. I only see the lo and eth0 (ethernet).

kirk

#32 Post by kirk »

archwndas,

I just checked the firmware package iwlwifi.tar.gz that Fatdog has in it. I don't think it contains the firmware for your card. It's too old. Do this in this order:

1) delete the /lib/modules/all-firmware/iwlwifi.tar.gz

2) Download and install http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/no ... 17_all.deb

3) Reboot.

The iwlwifi.tar.gz tarball might have been overwriting some of the new firmware when you rebooted.

If iwconfig still shows nothing. Please post the output of :

dmesg | grep firmware

You can copy text from the terminal by highlighting it and then pressing the shift and Delete keys at the same time. Then click on the Glipper icon in the tray and select the text you just copied, then you can paste it.

If the module is not loading now, something else might have broken, you can try opening a terminal and type:

modprobe iwlagn

archwndas

#33 Post by archwndas »

dear friend Kirk, I copied from my Debian-lenny installation /lib/firmware everything on a directory where I extracted the .deb package you suggested. Basically only one file was different. This was the file:

iwlwifi-5000-2.ucode

So, I extracted everything from the .deb file to a directory, then I copied this iwlwifi-5000-2.ucode in that directory and run:

# tar cvzf iwlwifi.tar.gz thatDirectory

The this directory was copied back to /lib/modules/all-firmware and I rebooted. After reboot, the iwlwifi-5000-2.ucode was extracted to /lib/firmware but the iwlagn module was not loaded. I loaded it manually and got the message:

WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.

This WARNING disappears if you create
#mkdir /etc/modprobe.d
#mv /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.d

but either way I see no wlan0 or eth1 when I run ifconfig.

# dmesg | grep firmware (shows nothing)
#

I do not know why. And as it regards copy-pasting, my friend kirk, I have been using Linux from 2003, maybe before you do (maybe do not get insulted). As I said before, I am touched by your attempt to do a 64bit clone of Puppy and I will help you as much as I can. I also own several powerful multicore and multiprocessor servers and could even compile things for you if you want me to do so. We could discuss in private if you want.

P.S. BUGS:
--After first reboot when I am asked if I want encrypted or non-encrypted, I get not what I am selecting but the opposite one. I select non-encrypted and get encrypted.

--#vi (results in segmentation)

kirk

#34 Post by kirk »

Sorry Archwndas, I never know how much experience someone has. Did you say that the module was loading on it's own before and now it's not? If so you might want to try starting over with a new save file. Since that module has firmware associated with it, I would expect to see a request in dmesg. So if you still want to try, do this:

1) Make a new fdsave file.

2) Install the .deb package of firmware. Don't make a tarball and put in /lib/modules/all-firmware.

3) reboot

See if the module loads on it's own.

tempestuous

#35 Post by tempestuous »

There are two different versions of the IWL5000 firmware. Puppy provides the newer "2" version, but sometimes the older "1" version is required. See here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 576#312576

archwndas

#36 Post by archwndas »

[quote]1) Make a new fdsave file.

2) Install the .deb package of firmware. Don't make a tarball and put in /lib/modules/all-firmware.

3) reboot
[/quote]

I apologize but I think that step 2 is not clear. You say,
[quote]Don't make a tarball and put in /lib/modules/all-firmware.[/quote]

Put which? The .deb package will install some files in /lib/firmware. You suggest I copy these files from /lib/firmware to /lib/modules/all-firmware ?[/quote]

tempestuous

#37 Post by tempestuous »

Why are you guys messing with deb files and Lenny?
Get the firmware files (both new version and older version) directly from Intel, the exact link is in my other post.
Extract them both into /lib/firmware

The two firmware files are -
iwlwifi-5000-1.ucode
iwlwifi-5000-2.ucode

archwndas

#38 Post by archwndas »

I did that and it did not work. I mean got the 2 files directly from Intel. the 5000-2 file is directly from Intel. It is there in /lib/firmware and stil ....

#modprobe iwlagn

doesn't work. I mean the module is loaded but neither

#dmesg | grep firmware

nor

#ifconfig -a

show something interesting!
I think everything would be much easier (we could avoid any misunderstandings), if our friend Kirk, could create for us a .pet file with the latest FatDog-64 update for 5300 Intel Wifi chips which we could install and reboot after the very first boot of FatDog 64bit. Then everyone would know for sure what is going on, since what should be done would have been done the right way.

Will you Kirk?

kirk

#39 Post by kirk »

Why are you guys messing with deb files and Lenny?
Archwndas, said it worked with Debian. Yep, should have looked on intel's site.

I'll include the updated firmware in alpha2.

archwndas

#40 Post by archwndas »

Thanks Kirk. Thank you very much. That will ease testing. Are you thinking of implementing user accounts?

kirk

#41 Post by kirk »

Are you thinking of implementing user accounts?
No. If you want support multiple users, use multiple fdsave (pup_save) files. I'll have to check into the encrypted save file problem you reported.

archwndas

#42 Post by archwndas »

Kirk,

where can I check for new releases of Fatdog2 64bit Puppy? You see, I do not want alpha2 to be out and I be completely unaware ...

Cheers!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#43 Post by Lobster »

Booted up but could not find a working option for my graphic card (tried editing the xorg horizontal and vertical sync etc)
Nvidia GeForce 7025 - built into Athlon 64 Dual Core motherboard
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

kirk

#44 Post by kirk »

archwndas,

I'll post alpha2 in this Cutting edge section.

Lobster,

Linux and Xorg support for Nvidia isn't very good, but I guess your Nvidia card works with Puppy 4.1.2? I probably need to update the version of the Xorgwizard I'm using, it's a little old. Fatdog uses the last version of Xorg 7.3 server. I've updated some of the drivers, ATI, Intel (the latest for Xorg 7.3), and maybe Nvidia. Hope I didn't break somthing. I don't have a Nvidia card to test. If it does work with Puppy, take a look at the /etc/Xorg.conf that Puppy creates. In the "Device" section, see what is listed for the "Driver". You could also try using the xorg.conf file from Puppy in Fatdog, again, that's assuming that it works correctly in Puppy.

I'm out of town, so it might be a few days b4 I can check back in.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#45 Post by Lobster »

your Nvidia card works with Puppy 4.1.2
yes and 4.2 and the latest 4.3 betas
So hope you upgrade xorg :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tempestuous

#46 Post by tempestuous »

archwndas wrote:#modprobe iwlagn
#dmesg | grep firmware
Don't restrict the output of dmesg to just the word "firmware". The firmware loading process might refer to the name of the firmware file itself.

Or your problem may be be related to uevent/Pupevent, which Barry has apparently solved recently. See here -
http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=01018

Aung

Kdenlive 64 almost

#47 Post by Aung »

Kirk, almost have N'live working using Christian Malats .debs. It gets through the startup wizard but crashes at this.

KCrash: Application 'kdenlive' crashing...
sock_file=/root/.kde4/socket-puppypc/kdeinit4__0
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
KCrash cannot reach kdeinit, launching directly.
#

And there is no socket-puppypc in /root/.kde4 'ldd kdenlive' shows that n'live has the full monty. Any thoughts. Aung

Other small bugs, video in Kino's window dont work, and video in Xine's window dont work after trying play video in Kino's window. Have to restart Xwindow to bring back video in Xine's window. Pmount dont Bmount, I have '64 all pet' installed. I could not do a install to a SDHC card in a USB reader/writer, after doing the Gparted bit to set the boot flag, installing would leave the petition 'unallocated'. End of install. Though I have the SD card booting with a fatdog savefile. Guess what I call the save file-- 'fdsave-shutup-aung' Power on Kirk

kirk

#48 Post by kirk »

yes and 4.2 and the latest 4.3 betas
So hope you upgrade xorg
I think 4.2 and 4.3 have older versions of Xorg-server. It's the same as 4.1.2? I did actually do builds with Xorg 7.4 (Xorg-server 1.6.1), but the problems out weighed the benefits. I ended up using the Xorg sources from last summer, which was the last of 7.3, and then updated some of the drivers (radeon, radeonhd, and maybe nvidia).

Aung,

I don't know how to help, it looks like you're trying to install a KDE4 application, that would have a ton of dependencies.

Right now I have a problem developing the 64bit version. I made this 64 bit version because a built a HTPC that is 64bit, and I wanted the fastest system possible. Well now it's in use, parked under my TV. So now I have to use the TV as my monitor (the rest of the family not happy with that), or remote desktop it. When Puppy 4.3 comes out I'll try to get the scripts out of it that have been updated, combine it with some bug fixes and post an alpha2.

Aung

#49 Post by Aung »

Hey Kirk, you have done the impossible (well amigo said it cant be done), I have gkrellm up using 64.debs. You dont have to build a new one the 64 people have all they need. Now I am toying with Openshot in /opt. Its the first time someone has made a video editor and put all the depends in one package. Ideal for opt, I am thinking. Except for phyton and GTK but I have phyton from a Debian live cd. Hmmm there's 1426 GTK files in Puppy. If only I knew how to point Oshot to GTK in Puppy. I have done the /opt/usr/lib thingo in /ect/ld.so.conf. The .py script to kick things off opens rxvt but thats the end of it. (gtk.main are the last words in rxvt.) Aung

Aung

#50 Post by Aung »

Kirk, I installed phyton from source (first time ever that I have done an install without an interruption) and now o'shot opens from urxvt. Is it having trouble finding Puppys gtk? Aung

OpenShot (version 0.9.22)
--------------------------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/share/openshot/main/OpenShot.py", line 33, in <module>
import windows.MainGTK as MainGTK
File "/usr/local/share/openshot/main/windows/MainGTK.py", line 20, in <module>
import gtk, gtk.glade
ImportError: No module named gtk
#