Fatdog2 64bit alpha1

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
3speed

initrd.gz

#76 Post by 3speed »

after compiling the new kernel and setting up the squashfs4 build the intrd.gz and the init has taken me for a set back.
On a full install I built the kernel with squashfs 4 it reads the and mounts them. but after many trys of rebuilding the initrd. I have fell short.
it either fails or fails to mount the the squasfs4.
I have tried tweaking the init.

Made sure all the modules are being loaded.
theses things happened from a setup frugal install.

no sync kernel panic. LOL
unable to find fd-200.sfs lol not sure why looking at the init and
the modules being loads
another build did not even look in the psubdir=fatdog
it just booted right to my sda6 drive.
You figure that when grub was pointed at psubdir on another drive.
weird stuff. and the (hd0,x) pointed to a complete different drive.

any way my full install rebuild and the the old full install.
both load run fine but the drive it is installed on is still being shown.
and if you mount it you have to umount to reboot.
this is even after adjusting the fstab I am looking in to the init.d
and puppy functions.
This pup is much faster then the other pups way fast with a newer kernel and new aufs squashfs 4.

Any input on building the new intrid.gz for the newer kernel would help.

I have been studying Barry's init and have become LOST in space.
3speed

kirk

#77 Post by kirk »

Just changing the kernel isn't too hard. You have to swap out the modules in the initrd.gz and depmod it. Running depmod on your initrd if your currently running an older kernel can be tricky. If you have a full install running your new kernel it's easy. Do this:

1) gunzip initrd.gz
2) mkdir puppy-init
3) cd puppy-init
4) cat ../initrd | cpio -d -i
5) replace all modules
6) depmod -b ./ (path to the root of your initrd)
7) find . | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -9 > ../initrd.gz (from the root of your initrd)

If you want you can remove these two lines from init:

modprobe sqlzma #fatdog
modprobe unlzma #fatdog

You don't have to, it just won't find them since your new kernel won't have lzma compression unless you patched it in.

jamesbond

#78 Post by jamesbond »

Aung wrote:Hey James Bond!! You should be on the silver screen, that worked. Now can you sort this one, When I try to play a DV (raw DV) clip in Kino, the Edit window crashes, Black SOD, and then Xine goes out in synpathy and wont play any video. I have to reboot to play anything in Xine. And after this I have a gkrellm (thermal.ko) to sort. Aung
Thanks ... but the rest of the questions are too difficult to me (jamesbond uses gadgets, and while he can jerry-rig some nifty little things, for most of his gadgets he calls on Q instead :D )
I don't use Kino since my camcorder produces MPEG2 files (which can't be edited in Kino), and I don't use gkrellm (I use lxpanel) ... so I really can't help there.
I can only guess Kino doesn't really die when it goes out, and somehow it retains an exclusive lock on the graphics card acceleration hardware, so that no other program (including Xine) can use it to play video afterwards. Try the Pprocess (Puppy Process Manager) and see if it's still there, and try to end the process.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

3speed

fat 64

#79 Post by 3speed »

the new kernel is patched for aufs. like you said I did rebuild the initrd. change out the modules.
the new kernels are a little more udev dependent. I think it may be in the sbin scripts in the image. beacause after rebuilding the sfs files. with the new kernel it only reads the aufs squashfs4. it fails to to unsquasfs the fd-200.sfs
Now I understand why theses things would happen. But it has to do with the new patched kernel.

I see Barry tweaked his intrid scripts some for layrs=aufs on he newer patched kernel. What gets me is the kernel boot intrid is read. but the new kernel seems to ignore the scripts. in the intrid.image I think in the sbin folder. the busy box is not loading the modules.

I believe they are being by passed do the kernel is way different.
this may not be part of fat dogs goal but I am trying to make it run like the 432 pup coming out. make it a 64 bit mirror.
so like you after pulling your hair out building the -rap t2 build.
then rebuilding the Dog with a new kernel then building new sfs files I have been dealing with new road blocks.
everything is the same except the kernel and a rebuilt initrd.

added gyachi, amsn .v4L -compat for old cams. opera .QT4 and the old spcagui for making videos so I can edit them on kino.
your xorg problems is some of your libraries are missing do to the -rap t2 build environment.
this Fat Dog is a Grey hound ready to run.
Thanks Kirk for your feed back and effort .

3speed bike being chased by the fat dog.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#80 Post by Lobster »

After thinking I might compile a 64Bit kernel, soon realising I was well out of my depth :oops: - had another go at Fatdog
Reading all the posts

This time I had the horizontal and vertical hz for my monitor
and tried the 'vesa' setting by editing the config file during initial
boot up

Nope. The crash is quite severe (I can not get back to the command line
with ctrl alt backspace - even ctrl alt - del - have to turn off machine)

Will have a go with Alpha 2 :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

kirk

#81 Post by kirk »

3speed,

Yes, the new kernel would use squashfs4, you will need the squashfs tools to make a squashfs4 file system. The tools included in Fatdog are for squashfs3. They are not compatible.

My wife got a new laptop, real nice, CoreI5, 4GB of DDR3, Blu-Ray drive $499, but with crappy intel graphics. Anyway, Xorg 7.3 is too old and doesn't support this new Intel graphics chip, so I just rebuilt everything with T2. I got it running, but I've got a to-do list:

* grab the latest kernel and try to patch it for squashfs-lzma, I've got patches for 2.6.32rc2 (I still want to use lzma compression for the devx file)

* rebuild ghostscript to be smaller, way to big right now.

* Include openbox-lxpanel. With JWM, the menu icons have a black background. Going to keep JWM too.

* Get Abiword from CVS and see if it will build with the new gcc. The last version doesn't.

Probably lots of other bugs to find and things to make smaller.

3speed

fat dog

#82 Post by 3speed »

well this has to do with the sqaushfs but I am way ahead of that problem.
It has to do with the kernel patch also.
still working on it.

jamesbond

#83 Post by jamesbond »

Hi kirk,
kirk wrote:* Include openbox-lxpanel. With JWM, the menu icons have a black background. Going to keep JWM too.
If you're sticking to 0.3.8.1P of lxpanel, I've got 2 patches for you:
1. in src/plugins/netstat/devproc.c, include #include <arpa/inet.h> as one of the include headers. Otherwise, this will cause the netstat plugin to crash upon start.
2. in src/plugins/launchbar.c, delete line 517 g_object_unref(filter). If this is not deleted, when you try to add items to launchbar, it will crash.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Aung

#84 Post by Aung »

Kirk, with a full HD install I am getting this problem and cant setup my DV camera in Kino. I cant find any /etc/modprobe.d/. !! (the new ATI driver sorted the Gxine dieing problem) Aung
# modprobe raw1394
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
# modprobe dv1394
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.

kirk

#85 Post by kirk »

Aung,

The "WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/. " does seem to be just that, a warning. I've seen it a few times, but I have not saw it cause a problem. Probably something else going on there. I've never setup a camera with Kino before, I've only used it to import files and edit them.

Mr Bond,

Yes I'm sticking with the 0.3.8.1P version of lxpanel. I tried the latest one but it seems to unstable. That's one nice thing about JWM. I'll apply your patches. Thanks again!

The squashfs-lzma patches I had against 2.6.32rc2 won't work with 2.6.32.8, it gets a weird problem when installing the modules. Makes me too scared to try and use it. The current patches are in linux-next (which I probably should be scared of too), so I'll try 2.6.33rc8 with the linux-next patch and see how that goes. I'm having probems with Rox not rendering all the thumb nails, it only seems to render the ones that are associated with a .desktop file. I saw where Barry was having a problem with ROX focus and rcrsn51 had a solution:

export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true

I'm having that problem too, So I'll try that and cross my fingers. If not I'll try the old GTK. Also, I can't find the source for ob-xdgmenu. I found something similar, but I think it will need some patching. I don't really use the openbox menu, so it's kind of low on the list.

jamesbond

#86 Post by jamesbond »

kirk wrote: Mr Bond,

Yes I'm sticking with the 0.3.8.1P version of lxpanel. I tried the latest one but it seems to unstable. That's one nice thing about JWM. I'll apply your patches. Thanks again!
No worries. Yeah I tried the latest lxpanel as well, it was devastating - lots of warning on startup before crashing. I tried the one before, and the one before ... Not to mention that after 0.3.8.1 they used menu-cached which kinda complicate the issues.
kirk wrote: ... If not I'll try the old GTK.
FD2-64 doesn't come with Gimp, but FD2-32 does, and Gimp there crashes like crazy :? Some guys said it was caused GTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED thingy, but I've downloaded Gimp 2.6.8, hacked its configure script to remove all those "DISABLE" defines, and recompiled (for FD2-32, haven't done it for FD-64). Still the same crash. So now I suspect either Glib or GTK is the one causing the problem. I'm not sure whether you plan to roll-out Gimp, but if you do, then watch out, some GTK versions seems to be bad.
kirk wrote: Also, I can't find the source for ob-xdgmenu.
I found something similar, but I think it will need some patching. I don't really use the openbox menu, so it's kind of low on the list.
I compiled the openbox 3.4.10 (the latest at time I compiled it, now they have 3.4.11). That openbox is now capable of dynamic menu just like lxpanel. I have handcrafted a menu.xml (based on your obmenu-refresh script) which will produce an openbox dynamic menu identical to lxpanel's version. I don't have it with me now, I will attach it later.

cheers!

kirk

#87 Post by kirk »

I'm not sure if I'm going to include gimp or not. If it seems too unstable I'll dump it. It's really overkill for what I do. I'll be sticking with GTK 2.18.(6?) My problem with Rox was a missing file, /usr/lib64/gconv/gconv-modules. Don't know how I managed to lose it, took a while to find, no errors logged anywhere. Yes, I'd like to get your openbox menu script, Thanks!

jamesbond

#88 Post by jamesbond »

gimp will crash with segfault if you access its menu too often. File open and file save/save as are especially prone - you can crash it simply by starting gimp and trying to open a file if you're not careful. Very irritating, they claim to fix this post 2.6.5, but even in 2.6.8 this still happens. I guess leave it out first ... if I've got the time again I will try to compile it on FD-64 and see how stable it is, and let you know.

Anyway, attached is the menu.xml ... oh btw it uses ob-xdgmenu :) and the ob-xdgmenu comes as part of openbox, so don't worry about it, when you compile openbox you'll get it.

cheers!

EDIT: didn't realise the forum didn't allow xml file attachments. This is the gzipped version.
Attachments
menu.xml.gz
menu.xml for dynamic menu generation in openbox. uses ob-xdgmenu.
(718 Bytes) Downloaded 725 times

tozers

If possible, please, update the FatDog64

#89 Post by tozers »

Hello Kirk,

I have been following this topic and I have been using FatDog64 for a wile and it is very cool! Thanks!

I have notice some new activities on it, so, if possible, Please, update the FatDog64 at http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/kirk/Fatdog2-64bit/

jamesbond

#90 Post by jamesbond »

kirk wrote:I'm not sure if I'm going to include gimp or not. If it seems too unstable I'll dump it. It's really overkill for what I do. I'll be sticking with GTK 2.18.(6?) My problem with Rox was a missing file, /usr/lib64/gconv/gconv-modules. Don't know how I managed to lose it, took a while to find, no errors logged anywhere. Yes, I'd like to get your openbox menu script, Thanks!
jamesbond wrote: gimp will crash with segfault if you access its menu too often. File open and file save/save as are especially prone - you can crash it simply by starting gimp and trying to open a file if you're not careful. Very irritating, they claim to fix this post 2.6.5, but even in 2.6.8 this still happens. I guess leave it out first ... if I've got the time again I will try to compile it on FD-64 and see how stable it is, and let you know.
I compiled GTK 2.18.7 and overwrite the GTK 2.16.2 which was in FD-32 (and FD-64). The original Gimp that comes with it (2.6.5) suddenly works fine. I did this in FD-32, not in FD-64, but I would extrapolate that your choice of GTK 2.18.6 will be fine for Gimp.

EDIT: must also update glib from 2.20 to 2.22 otherwise the crash still happen. (Glib update alone is not enough, it has to be both glib and gtk).

cheers!

kirk

#91 Post by kirk »

Just an update. I haven't given up yet, but I have given up on getting lzma compression working with squashfs 4.0. I've tried the patches that were posted on the squashfs mailing list with 2.6.32.8 and I've tried downloading Linus's git tree and pulling the squashfs tree into it. Both ways have the same problem, intermittent squashfs errors. Sometimes you can boot and all is well, other times X won't start and you'll see lots of errors like Squashfs error can't read directory block, or can't read inode. If I compile without the lzma patches all is well or if I use 2.6.28.10 with the squashfs 3.4 lzma patches, all is well. I've tried the new mksquashfs with lzma compression and with gzip compression, and I've tried the normal mksquashfs for 4.0. No help. Google searches don't seem to turn up anything similar, so ether there's not many out there using this yet or maybe it has something to due with 64bit. Probably most who compile everything 64bit aren't real interested in lzma compression.

Anyway I'm using 2.6.33 right now. Just a note for anyone compiling 2.6.33, make sure you set CFG80211_WEXT=y in your config or wireless won't work. This is a new option for 2.6.33. I've still got some wireless problems to sort out, with 2.6.28.10 iwconfig would show my zd1211rw as up and ready to configure, Pwireless could set it up, but with 2.6.33 or 2.6.32.8, Pwireless won't work, but the network wizard does. I'll have to see what the network wizard is doing to bring it up. Maybe there's another new kernel config I'm missing or maybe the driver has just changed.

I'd still like to find a patch to get Abiword to compile with gcc 4.4.3, or if not maybe I can find a binary that works well. Abiword from alpha1 doesn't render correctly, probably due to GTK changes. Hopefully I'll have something decent to upload next week.

3speed

busy box new kernel

#92 Post by 3speed »

I really think this not loading the modules like you want from the init is a busy box failure or some sym-links not loading the stuff in to the ram0.
so it can load the correct modules before the scripts take it.
dump off in to the next level. the modules are not being loaded. this is the big probplem. I believe this is a udev problem Why ( because the initrid is not mounting the pupnew into a loop. It does not have the ability to mount fs -type

Major complaint it does not recognize the format . This is a busy box failure to load and link to the fd-200.sfs and but not sure.
all my full installs have done well but then build to boot and run in ram
like a cdrom it fails just like yours.

able to see all the squashfs and mount them. But when I make it drop to console to see the complete system run before linking to your squashfs . and Busy box is linked but I found many of the commands just did not work.

The sfs convereter script works well

Any way uppdated the gcc and have been recompiling a complete fd-200 x86_64 pet mirror for 64 bit wolf builds.
fd-200 has way to many 32bit binaries in it.
Do not know how they got in your build. but I was amazed.

seems they will look like scripts do to icon set.
This is a must for the 'nv" xorg config
"Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
This is a Firefox Mozilla thing with "nv".
fixes your render on compressed webs pages . like Slackware slackbuild.

Going to finish a wolf Karmic build I hope before Bike season.
Then I will have to go back to my real work building bikes for a living on campus.
Been Riding my 1952 English Raleigh roadster this winter.
Goes right by those new bicycle froze up in the snow.

But since I live a block and a half from
The National Center for Supercomputing most of my customers get custom puppy's for learning linux on they're win-slows machines.

149 packages built about 70 more to go. Got Pet?
lol.

one gear at a time 3speed.

3speed

opera flash

#93 Post by 3speed »

I found that it was missing open
openssl-solibs
then and the netscape solib like slackware does for seamonkey and mozilla.
seamonkey-solibs
I added them after I read up on what dependency flash needed.
the flash fd-200-64 has is in /usr/lib64/firefox-3.51/plugins.
Opera knows to look there but that firefox set up fd-200 has will allow
it to run flash inside it self.

took me some reading a while back to figure it out.
up graded from slackware64-current repo with slackpkg installed
firefox 3.5.6 and seamonkey you will get everything. then I used sbopkg to install opera worked great.
I did this after I had made pets but wanted to see how pkgtools worked and sbopkg plus slackpkg.

I would not advise doing this . But it was fun to change the sripts to have sbo build pets.
Most of the stuff is there it is just missing the links. look for the links before installing.