How to use Motorola Rokr cell phone as a modem?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
gbblr69

How to use Motorola Rokr cell phone as a modem?

#1 Post by gbblr69 »

i have a Blackberry 8330 and Puppy has support for it, but my wife's Motorola rokr z6m is not recognized by the pup dial or connection wizard. Is there any way to set it up manually? i know it will work because it worked with XP but i love Linux and just don't want to use Windows any more

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Well if its supported then it may just be a case of plugging in loading the driver eg for my lg I use

Code: Select all

modprobe option
and it appears as a modem in wvdial...I then enter the connection details and voila.
A bit of searching should give some clues.

mike

lararefaeli

#3 Post by lararefaeli »

Hi gbblr69 ...
The "Motorola Rokr z6m" includes 1xEV-DO r0 technology for packet data transfer and WAP 2.0 as the Web Browser.So it might be a problem with the browser or connection settings.Concerning to Puppy you must be aware that it is supported by Moto Rok or not.
Further solutions will be posted to you.

conradshi

cell phone modem

#4 Post by conradshi »

Asus WL-500W but this should work with other models that have USB ports and can run DD-WRT v24-sp1 Mega. I have also tested on a Linsys WRTSL54GS to the point of the phone being connected, recognized as an ACM device, and the device node being created.This is not the most elegant solution but it is working great for me so far. If the pppd scripts for establishing a pppoe connection could be modified setting this up would be less complex and more centralized.Even though I used this with a Samsung CDMA cellular phone, it should work for any phone or modem that will work with the ACM driver. For those looking for a new cell phone almost all of Samsungs current phones will use the acm driver.

beverlyyan

#5 Post by beverlyyan »

You just need to configure it, sometimes the Linux couldn't support some of the devices, but, you could try it manually. It should be working just like some other cell phones.

technosaurus

#6 Post by technosaurus »

a fast way to tell if a device is supported is to check the cradlepoint website to see which devices work on their routers - if not there may not be a driver available - they are fairly quick to add support as new drivers do become available... also I think rerwin? and/or tempestuous? produced some updated kernel modules that you may/may not need
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

lararefaeli wrote:...Further solutions will be posted to you.
Please, post solutions in the forum so everyone can learn from them. :)