Here's another one with pfix=ram
Attachments
test_b43.log.gz
(2.4 KiB) Downloaded 480 times

shinobar

Filenames of remastered puppy

#152 Post by shinobar »

For the main file names of remastered puppy,
the puppyinstaller allows, say 'ppa4-423ja.sfs'.
It writes '${DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX}-${NEWVER}*.sfs".

But init in initrd.gz does not allow. At line 438 and anywhere it writes
'${DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX}-${DISTRO_VERSION}.sfs'.

And bootflash at line 436, '*-[0-9][0-9][0-9].sfs'.

Skeptic

sudo

#153 Post by Skeptic »

Will Puppy 4.3 have sudo by default?
It's not safe to run as root by default.

gposil

#154 Post by gposil »

How is it not safe to run as root on a R/O file system?
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

Skeptic

#155 Post by Skeptic »

I was talking about full installations.
Running as root from the live-cd is OK in my opinion.

Kenny-M

#156 Post by Kenny-M »

I am torn in both directions on the root issue.

Yes running as root on an installed version can be an issue. But an issue for who? Those more technical understand this and appreciate the flexability given to them. For the joe average user perhaps a "user" account needs to be created that is restricted.

If for example you are using Puppy as a Rescue package on a live CD it is almost a necessity.

In my opinion you can go to the other exteme like Bebian which is more locked down. Sometimes it is a pain to have to do things in Debian. That is one reason I like Puppy.

So, I think leave root where it is.

ICPUG

#157 Post by ICPUG »

This is a bug report thread.

'running as root' discussions should go somewhere else. It is not a bug. It is deliberate!

Suez2005

Puppy 4.3 B1

#158 Post by Suez2005 »

hello.

I'm from Brazil.

I do not speak English, so my pot can be confusing.

I've done everything to install puppy on HD, the version is the Puppy 4.3 Beta 1.

I followed all the tutorials available and I am almost giving up puppy install blessed.

If anyone can help me, the pc where I am trying to install has this configuration:

PENTIUM III 866 MHZ.

256 RAMDISK

HD of 10 GB SAMSUNG IDE.

Motherboard JETWAY 601CF.

Once I get it and send write Grub to MBR, it does everything right, then asks to save a file at reboot time, I saved in the same directory where the files are installed and when you start the message: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERTDISK SYSTEM AND PRESS ENTER.

If this is not the correct place to post this I apologize PÇO and guidelines for doing the right thing.

I am humbled the help of comrades who have more experience co Puppy 4.3 Beta 1.

Thank you.
> alterar

gposil

#159 Post by gposil »

Is there any movement on the b43 front...
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

shinobar

puppyinstaller does not come back from gpartd

#160 Post by shinobar »

/usr/sbin/puppyinstaller at line 117-120

NG:

Code: Select all

while [ 1 ];do
  [ "`pidof gparted | tr "\n" '|'`" = "|" ] && break
  sleep 1
 done
--> OK:

while [ 1 ];do
  pidof gparted &>/dev/null || break
  sleep 1
 done

Sit Heel Speak

#161 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

***edited: bug in microscope corrected, it now sees Fedora 11 correctly, and distinguishes "not present" from "is not set"***

***EDITED again: but, see my next post. b43, I now believe, should be not set, period. Don't put it in the kernel (or compile as a module) at all.***

By using the dotconfig-comparison utility which I describe in
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45831
I see the following, with regard to B43 and B44 dotconfig switches. By looking at this screenshot you can see which distros' dotconfigs I am comparing.

(Suggestions as to most-advanced distro's whose dotconfigs I should be examining under this "12-way blink-comparator microscope" are welcome--I am not yet enough of a Linux guru to know what the 12 best are. The program runs in a DOS window under Windows 98SE. Memory limitations of this combination, mainly the upper limit on open file handles, determine that I can compare a maximum of only 12 distro's at a time.)

Not present in vanilla 2.6.29.6 nor foreirongold's,
not set in all the others:
*# CONFIG_B43LEGACY_DMA_MODE is not set
*# CONFIG_B43LEGACY_PIO_MODE is not set
*# CONFIG_B43_DEBUG is not set

Set in all, except is not set in vanilla 2.6.29.6 and foreirongold's:
*CONFIG_B43=m
*CONFIG_B43LEGACY=m
*CONFIG_B44=m

Set in all, except is not present in vanilla 2.6.29.6 and foreirongold's:
*CONFIG_B43LEGACY_DMA=y
*CONFIG_B43LEGACY_DMA_AND_PIO_MODE=y
*CONFIG_B43LEGACY_PCICORE_AUTOSELECT=y
*CONFIG_B43LEGACY_PCI_AUTOSELECT=y
*CONFIG_B43LEGACY_PIO=y
*CONFIG_B43_PCICORE_AUTOSELECT=y
*CONFIG_B43_PCI_AUTOSELECT=y
*CONFIG_B44_PCI=y
*CONFIG_B44_PCICORE_AUTOSELECT=y
*CONFIG_B44_PCI_AUTOSELECT=y

Set in Ubuntu 9.04 and CrunchBang Linux (Ubuntu 9.04.1 with Openbox),
not present in vanilla 2.6.29.6 and foreirongold's,
is not set in any of the others:
*CONFIG_B43LEGACY_DEBUG=y

Set in the Pup(pie)s and Fedora 11 but not set in Ubuntu 9.04 and CrunchBang;
not present in vanilla 2.6.29.6 and foreirongold's:
*CONFIG_B43_PCMCIA=y

Set in Fedora 11, not present in vanilla 2.6.29.6, Ubuntu 9.04,
Crunchbang, Puppy 4.12-k2.6.25.16 nor foreirongold's,
set in all other Pup(pie)s:
*CONFIG_B43_PIO=y

Set in all except not present in vanilla 2.6.29.6, Puppy 4.12 2.6.25.16, MU's config-2.6.29.1MU-based-on2.6.28.5, and foreirongold's:
*CONFIG_B43LEGACY_RFKILL=y
*CONFIG_B43_RFKILL=y

Set in all, except is not present in unpatched vanilla 2.6.29.6, Puppy 4.12 2.6.25.16, and foreirongold's:
*CONFIG_B43LEGACY_LEDS is set =y
*CONFIG_B43_LEDS=y

Sorry for the messup in the previous version. There was a fencepost error in the parser, such that the first finding of a present-and-set switch when stepping through the distro's (as often as not, this was in Fedora) was not being recorded. Alles in ordnung now.
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Fri 28 Aug 2009, 15:50, edited 3 times in total.

jaddison

#162 Post by jaddison »

First boot on lenovo r61 and MSI Wind:

No wireless on either. MSI not a surprise; had to add 8187 pet with 4.21. Lenovo a little surprising--on 4.21 no wireless when I run the "connect" wizard, but if I use the Pwireless app to scan for a connection and then manually connect I usually have no problem. No dice either way with this version.

4.3 gives me sound on the MSI machine--never could get that to work with 4.21.

capoverde

Wine on Puppy 4.3B1

#163 Post by capoverde »

No problems found up to now after one week with Puppy 4.3Beta1 (single-proc), real fine.

After reading Barry's blog post about Wine I downloaded wine-1.1.28-i486.pet and installed it, then ran the Win$ version of a music notation program - MuseScore, mscore-0.9.4.exe - which runs perfectly and way faster than the Linux version (actually MuseScore 0.9.3 on Puppy 4.1)!

It sees all fonts by putting a symlink to the fonts directory, which is in another ext3 partition, into Wine's "Windows-> Fonts" directory -- this 6-7yr-old PC has no Win$.
:lol: How funny, it's just the opposite of what one needs to do in order to have TrueType fonts in Puppy with Win$ boxes! I'm quite amazed, Wine's performance is far better than I expected.

paulh177

#164 Post by paulh177 »

frugal install

I tried a .pup conversion only to find the following :

# pup2pet xxx.pet
.pup packages are no longer supported in Puppy,
This conversion script is no longer supported either.
#
Searching hasn't revealed a statement from BK or anyone else about this, but I may have overlooked it.

Sit Heel Speak

#165 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

I have now *actually read* tempestuous's thread from last November, "Extra drivers for Puppy 4.1 with 2.6.25.16 kernel" --his message with a hybrid Broadcom wifi driver PET attached on page 5...and, followed up by *actually looking at* what Broadcom themselves say, at
http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/README.txt
Broadcom recommends you use their hybrid driver. This readme.txt paragraph seems particularly relevant:
Broadcom wrote:On this or a machine with the same kernel version, install the driver.

1. Validate you don't have loaded (or built into the kernel) the Linux community provided
driver for Broadcom hardware. This exists in two forms: either "bcm43xx" or a split form
of "b43" plus "b43legacy". If these modules were loaded you would either
a) rmmod bcm43xx or
b) rmmod b43; rmmod b43legacy
So it seems my post, above, is misleading, in that it implies that some combination of b43 switches at compile-time might be the golden key...when, in reality, you don't want any Linux-community-made b43 drivers at all, instead you want the Broadcom driver. Adding b43 etc. switches at compile time, probably messes things up.

fratermus

Re: past sfs's

#166 Post by fratermus »

GrumpyWolfe wrote:Hi All
I was just about to say I have a bug then read the post about incompatible sfs's. But did not think that was going to affect the save files. At one time I think I remember puppylinux offering to upgrade a save file or something like that. If I was to rename it to the new name system would it then offer to convert it.
Watching with interest. As a puppy newb I am confused about how one will be able to use their 4.2x pupsave file in the 4.3 version.

4.3 doesn't seem to see the 4.21's pup_save_crypta.2fs on the hard drive. Does this mean we will effectively have to clean install 4.3 when it becomes a release, and reconfigure by hand?

It's not a dealbreaker, I just don't think I understand what is supposed to happen.

rerwin

Source for new hybrid Linuxant HSF modem driver

#167 Post by rerwin »

Although I have sent this information to Barry via PM, the latest message has remained in my outbox since 8/25, so I am re-posting it here, that it not get lost.

I followed directions in the ubuntu community wiki for merging part of the oem-version of the HSF modem driver into the latest version from Linuxant, to retain the best of both. I added a step that allows it to be compiled for either of our kernels (and probably any others). I have documented all that I did to create the source tarball, compile and configure it, and update the firmware tarball. I also documented the compiling, configuring and firmware updating for the HCF and DGC modem drivers.

Attached are the HSF-full-dell-hybrid source tarball and the instructions intended for addition to Barry's "kernel.modules.txt" file, which explains how to compile and integrate each special driver. I have already sent Barry the HCF and DGC source tarballs. I hope all three will be added to the puppylinux.com/sources collection for both kernels.

The resultant (k2.6.29.6) dotpet for all three drivers is here:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 081#335081
Richard
Attachments
kernel-modules-insert.tar.gz
How I compiled and configured the drivers, and
updated the related firmware tarballs for the HCF,HSF & DGC Conexant modems.
(1.13 KiB) Downloaded 547 times

capoverde

Drive capacity always 0,0GB

#168 Post by capoverde »

Seeking in the thread I didn't find a mention about this: testing Puppy 4.3 Beta1 on a friend's PC, I accidentally saw that when the mouse pointer stays over a drive icon, the filesystem description comes out OK but the capacity is always 0,0GB.
Didn't mind about that on my machine; will have a look when back home.

* * * Edited: Sure, happens on my box too.
:( ...And the <Insert> key bug is back... Awwww... :(
Last edited by capoverde on Mon 31 Aug 2009, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.

rerwin

Linuxant-patched ALSA driver 1.0.20 source tarball

#169 Post by rerwin »

Attached is the Linuxant 1.0.20 patch for application to the alsa-driver-1.0.20 source package. It supports "high definition audio" HSF modems. I have applied the patch and compiled the alsa-driver successfully. I cannot attach the resultant source tarball as it is almost 4 MB and is rejected by the forum attacher.

I have no way of testing it, because (1) I don't have such a modem and (2) the beta1 on which I built it is still at level 1.0.16. I can provide the dotpet once beta2 is released, assuming beta2 uses alsa-driver-1.0.20.

Here is my "kernel.modules.txt" entry for both patching and building it:
alsa-driver-1.0.20-hda-patched
To patch an extracted original alsa-driver, obtain the linuxant patch matching the alsa-driver version, to directory containing the extracted alsa-driver directory (home), then:
# cd
Make Linuxant patch:
# patch -p0 < alsa-driver-1.0.20-2.patch
Rename as patched driver, for Conexant HSF HDA modems:
# mv alsa-driver-1.0.20 alsa-driver-1.0.20-hda-patched
Make patched source tarball:
# tar -czf alsa-driver-1.0.20-hda-patched.tar.gz alsa-driver-1.0.20-hda-patched
End of patched-source tarball creation
Compile the alsa driver:
# cd alsa-driver-1.0.20-hda-patched
# ./configure --with-cards=hda-codec-conexant,hda-codec,hda-intel
# make
# new2dir make install
...manual install alsa-driver-1.0.20-hda-patched-i486/lib/modules/.../kernel/sound/* to kernel/sound
Although there is mention on the Web of a patch for Agere HDA modems, that patch appears to be unnecessary with 1.0.20, as I get errors if I try it.
Richard
Attachments
alsa-driver-1.0.20-2.patch.tar.gz
Patch for support of Conexant HSF HDA modems, for P4.3beta2 (assuming it has alsa 1.0.20).
(8 KiB) Downloaded 469 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#170 Post by BarryK »

trio wrote:Barry,

Thanks for the response

1. Pcur is great, but default folder should not be in the list also, same as Rox
2. b43 issue, I have to get back to you tomorrow, I don't have the computer with b43 with me now (it's 8.30 PM now here :wink: )

regards
Trio,
The script writes to a log file, /root/test_b43.log.gz
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]