Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Aug 2014, 07:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
4.3 Beta 1 -- bugs and reports
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 12 of 13 [183 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
fratermus

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug 2009, 18:03    Post subject: Re: past sfs's
Subject description: my saved files

GrumpyWolfe wrote:
Hi All
I was just about to say I have a bug then read the post about incompatible sfs's. But did not think that was going to affect the save files. At one time I think I remember puppylinux offering to upgrade a save file or something like that. If I was to rename it to the new name system would it then offer to convert it.

Watching with interest. As a puppy newb I am confused about how one will be able to use their 4.2x pupsave file in the 4.3 version.

4.3 doesn't seem to see the 4.21's pup_save_crypta.2fs on the hard drive. Does this mean we will effectively have to clean install 4.3 when it becomes a release, and reconfigure by hand?

It's not a dealbreaker, I just don't think I understand what is supposed to happen.
rerwin

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug 2009, 19:09    Post subject: Source for new hybrid Linuxant HSF modem driver
Subject description: Compilable for both kernels 2.6.25.16 & 2.6.29.6

Although I have sent this information to Barry via PM, the latest message has remained in my outbox since 8/25, so I am re-posting it here, that it not get lost.

I followed directions in the ubuntu community wiki for merging part of the oem-version of the HSF modem driver into the latest version from Linuxant, to retain the best of both. I added a step that allows it to be compiled for either of our kernels (and probably any others). I have documented all that I did to create the source tarball, compile and configure it, and update the firmware tarball. I also documented the compiling, configuring and firmware updating for the HCF and DGC modem drivers.

Attached are the HSF-full-dell-hybrid source tarball and the instructions intended for addition to Barry's "kernel.modules.txt" file, which explains how to compile and integrate each special driver. I have already sent Barry the HCF and DGC source tarballs. I hope all three will be added to the puppylinux.com/sources collection for both kernels.

The resultant (k2.6.29.6) dotpet for all three drivers is here:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=335081#335081
Richard
hsfmodem-7.80.02.04full-dellhybrid.tar.gz
Description  Merged version of Linuxant HSF-modem driver source code.
gz

Download 
Filename  hsfmodem-7.80.02.04full-dellhybrid.tar.gz 
Filesize  1.37 MB 
Downloaded  379 Time(s) 
kernel-modules-insert.tar.gz
Description  How I compiled and configured the drivers, and
updated the related firmware tarballs for the HCF,HSF & DGC Conexant modems.
gz

Download 
Filename  kernel-modules-insert.tar.gz 
Filesize  1.13 KB 
Downloaded  392 Time(s) 
capoverde

PostPosted: Sun 30 Aug 2009, 18:35    Post subject: Drive capacity always 0,0GB  

Seeking in the thread I didn't find a mention about this: testing Puppy 4.3 Beta1 on a friend's PC, I accidentally saw that when the mouse pointer stays over a drive icon, the filesystem description comes out OK but the capacity is always 0,0GB.
Didn't mind about that on my machine; will have a look when back home.

* * * Edited: Sure, happens on my box too.
Sad ...And the <Insert> key bug is back... Awwww... Sad

Last edited by capoverde on Mon 31 Aug 2009, 02:29; edited 1 time in total
rerwin

PostPosted: Sun 30 Aug 2009, 18:39    Post subject: Linuxant-patched ALSA driver 1.0.20 source tarball
Subject description: For beta2 but not beta1

Attached is the Linuxant 1.0.20 patch for application to the alsa-driver-1.0.20 source package. It supports "high definition audio" HSF modems. I have applied the patch and compiled the alsa-driver successfully. I cannot attach the resultant source tarball as it is almost 4 MB and is rejected by the forum attacher.

I have no way of testing it, because (1) I don't have such a modem and (2) the beta1 on which I built it is still at level 1.0.16. I can provide the dotpet once beta2 is released, assuming beta2 uses alsa-driver-1.0.20.

Here is my "kernel.modules.txt" entry for both patching and building it:
Quote:
alsa-driver-1.0.20-hda-patched
To patch an extracted original alsa-driver, obtain the linuxant patch matching the alsa-driver version, to directory containing the extracted alsa-driver directory (home), then:
# cd
Make Linuxant patch:
# patch -p0 < alsa-driver-1.0.20-2.patch
Rename as patched driver, for Conexant HSF HDA modems:
# mv alsa-driver-1.0.20 alsa-driver-1.0.20-hda-patched
Make patched source tarball:
# tar -czf alsa-driver-1.0.20-hda-patched.tar.gz alsa-driver-1.0.20-hda-patched
End of patched-source tarball creation
Compile the alsa driver:
# cd alsa-driver-1.0.20-hda-patched
# ./configure --with-cards=hda-codec-conexant,hda-codec,hda-intel
# make
# new2dir make install
...manual install alsa-driver-1.0.20-hda-patched-i486/lib/modules/.../kernel/sound/* to kernel/sound

Although there is mention on the Web of a patch for Agere HDA modems, that patch appears to be unnecessary with 1.0.20, as I get errors if I try it.
Richard
alsa-driver-1.0.20-2.patch.tar.gz
Description  Patch for support of Conexant HSF HDA modems, for P4.3beta2 (assuming it has alsa 1.0.20).
gz

Download 
Filename  alsa-driver-1.0.20-2.patch.tar.gz 
Filesize  8 KB 
Downloaded  340 Time(s) 
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 30 Aug 2009, 19:44    Post subject:  

trio wrote:
Barry,

Thanks for the response

1. Pcur is great, but default folder should not be in the list also, same as Rox
2. b43 issue, I have to get back to you tomorrow, I don't have the computer with b43 with me now (it's 8.30 PM now here Wink )

regards

Trio,
The script writes to a log file, /root/test_b43.log.gz

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 30 Aug 2009, 20:18    Post subject:  

Regarding the problem with the firmware not installing for b43 module, sorry but my previous test script has a bug.

Trio and others, would you be so kind as to test with this script:
test_b43_2.sh.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  test_b43_2.sh.gz 
Filesize  583 Bytes 
Downloaded  355 Time(s) 

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 30 Aug 2009, 20:20    Post subject:  

...probably best to test with "pfix=ram" and of course be sure that your hardware that needs the b43 module is present.
sinc

PostPosted: Sun 30 Aug 2009, 21:46    Post subject:  

i believe the first line in the terminal said something to the effect of 'b43 module not found in /proc/modules' but i use the b43legacy module in this computer (i'm posting from it in 2.14x8 right now). heres the log from the script. let me know if you want me to try something else. thanks.

this was from a clean install with no pupsave.
test_b43.log.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  test_b43.log.gz 
Filesize  2.22 KB 
Downloaded  329 Time(s) 

Last edited by sinc on Mon 31 Aug 2009, 07:49; edited 1 time in total
trio

PostPosted: Sun 30 Aug 2009, 23:31    Post subject:  

Barry,

Here's the log you asked (with pfix=ram). Also please notice the jpg I attached.

Tq
b43.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   21.79 KB
 Viewed   1383 Time(s)

b43.jpg

test_b43.log.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  test_b43.log.gz 
Filesize  3 KB 
Downloaded  338 Time(s) 

James C

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug 2009, 03:17    Post subject:  

I've been testing 423 Beta (2.6.25.16 and 2.6.29.6 kernels) live saving to usb stick. Tonight I decided to do a full hard drive install.....no success.

The installer identified my ext3 partition as ext4, proceeded anyway .Completed installation, rebooted and......nothing. Booted into a different Puppy on a different partition and checked where I installed 430 Beta,or 423 in grub, and discovered a totally empty partition. No files were copied during the installation.

Reformated and tried again, same negative results.Any ideas?
rerwin

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep 2009, 14:34    Post subject: Agere modem driver, firmware & rules package
Subject description: Ready for beta2 with kernel 2.6.30.5.

I have compiled the latest version of the non-HDA drivers for Agere/agrsm modems, patched to resolve a compiler error and using the 2.6.30.5 kernel source. Here are the "kernel.modules.txt" instructions for patching and building; the patched source tarball; and a dotpet containing the 2 agr modules, updated udev rules to support all modems specified in the driver source, and an updated firmware tarball where the script now allows for use of an optional HDA version of the drivers.

The HDA option will apply only to the puppy version using kernel 2.6.25.16, because the HDA driver cannot be compiled for later kernels due a GPL issue regarding proprietary code. But I want to avoid multiple versions of the script. (My plan is to provide an HDA version of the drivers when the standard version of beta2 is available, as an optional dotpet, to be conservative.)

The instructions:
Quote:
agrsm-20090502-patched
To patch the original tarball, extract agrsm-20090502.tar.gz, which creates directory agrsm-20090502, then:
# cd agrsm-20090502
Patch use of low-level function call (to use higher-level interface same as other drivers):
# sed -i -e 's/__request_region(&ioport_resource, /request_region(/' agrsoftmodem.c
Create patched tarball:
# cd
# tar -czf agrsm-20090502-patched.tar.gz agrsm-20090502
End of patching process. Start here if using patched tarball.
# cd agrsm-20090502
# make
# make install
The warnings about "section mismatches" can be ignored.
...manual install /lib/modules/.../extra/agr* to extra
Richard
agrsm-20090502-k2.6.30.5.pet
Description  Firmware and rules to go into Puppy.
Modules compiled for kernel 2.6.30.5 (in case they are not built into the beta2).
Updated name and added depmod only.
pet

Download 
Filename  agrsm-20090502-k2.6.30.5.pet 
Filesize  577.12 KB 
Downloaded  327 Time(s) 
agrsm-20090502-patched.tar.gz
Description  Source code patched for compile error.
gz

Download 
Filename  agrsm-20090502-patched.tar.gz 
Filesize  1.14 MB 
Downloaded  357 Time(s) 

Last edited by rerwin on Sat 05 Sep 2009, 00:46; edited 2 times in total
playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep 2009, 13:33    Post subject: not a bug
Subject description: desiderata

Code:
sh-3.00# ./iron
./iron: /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.0.0' not found (required by ./iron)
./iron: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by ./iron)
./iron: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.8' not found (required by ./iron)
./iron: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by ./iron)
./iron: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.10' not found (required by ./iron)
sh-3.00#

This is what happens when I try to run SRWare Iron alpha for linux (the spyware free version of google chrome). It is not a bug in 4.3 of course but I am wondering if 4.3 will be able to run Iron or should be able to run Iron or could be able to run Iron or would be able to run Iron with some hacks....

It (4.3) will be able to run Seamonkey 2.0 which is noticeably faster than the 1.1.x versions of Seamonkey (on benchmarks and in normal use), and Iron is noticeably faster again--it will finally give Linux a browser that is equal to the fastest browsers available anywhere. And if not in 4.3 then in 5 I hope. I spend an enormous amount of time working in browsers and the speed is a welcome usability feature. thanks.
Tui

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep 2009, 21:50    Post subject:  

Att: Mr. Barry K, I hope you read my post.
Please revert to the ALL in your next Puppy beta version,
I would like to see it back in the PETget package manager as I find it better to
go thro' A - Z when looking for a package as I don't know what packages are
filled under.

Thanks
Tui
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 04 Sep 2009, 03:07    Post subject:  

I posted this notice on my blog, but in case anyone didn't read it...

4.3beta2 should be out in a day or two, so if you are interested in testing a 4.3 beta then hold off a bit. Lots of bugs in 4.3beta1 have been fixed.

rerwin

PostPosted: Sat 05 Sep 2009, 00:39    Post subject: Intel 536 modem driver compiles for 2.6.30.5
Subject description: Required a patch for k2.6.30, but resolved errors in 2.6.29.6 compile.

After many false starts I have patched and compiled the driver for Intel 536 modems. However, I have not be able to test on my modem. When attempting to compile for 2.6.29.6 I get some errors that I could try to work around and then test, but I submit my results so far for either inclusion or user testing on beta2. The dotpet has the driver file and the updated firmware tarball. I do not want to delay submission any longer.
UPDATE: The dotpet attachment is not quite correct: wrong /lib/modules/<kernel>". The corrected dotpet is now in the beta2 forum, here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=338644#338644

Here is my "kernel.modules.txt" entry for the Intel536:
Quote:
intel-536EP-2.56.76.0_2009_02_08-patched
Create patched version for all kernels, by extracting tarball intel-536EP-2.56.76.0_2009_02_08, which creates directory intel-536EP-2.56.76.0, then:
# cd intel-536EP-2.56.76.0
Patch to avoid using member 'owner', removed from kernel 2.6.30:
# sed -i -e 's%\( *\)\(hamproc->owner = THIS_MODULE;\)%\1#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE < KERNEL_VERSION(2,6,30)\n\1\2\n\1#endif%' coredrv/coredrv.c
Create patched tarball:
# cd
# tar -czf intel-536EP-2.56.76.0_2009_02_08-patched.tar.gz intel-536EP-2.56.76.0
End of patching process. Start here if using patched tarball.
# cd intel-536EP-2.56.76.0
# make clean
# make 536
# make install
The make-install will end with an error message that can be ignored, as the error occurs on the final command of the script:
unknown distribution - no boot scripts have been installed
make: *** [install] Error 1
...manual install /lib/modules/.../kernel/drivers/char/Intel536.ko to extra
[NOTE THAT THE DRIVER PREVIOUSLY WAS IN /kernel/drivers/char/, SO THIS WOULD BE A CHANGE TOWARD CONSISTENCY WITH OTHER PUPPY-MAINTAINED DRIVERS -- IF BARRY CONCURS.]
...also userland stuff - Update the intel536ep firmware tarball:
- copy /usr/sbin/hamregistry into usr/sbin/ in the /lib/modules/all-firmware/intel536ep tarball.

The dotpet contains the updated firmware tarball. I have also compiled this for kernel 2.6.25.16 and it tests successfully. (I understand this may be too late for the beta2, but the dotpet can be installed by testers.)

BTW, the 537 driver appears to be a more difficult task, so will take some time.
Richard
intel-536EP-2.56.76.0_2009_02_08-patched.tar.gz
Description  Sources for Intel 536 driver. Usable for bothl kernels.
gz

Download 
Filename  intel-536EP-2.56.76.0_2009_02_08-patched.tar.gz 
Filesize  456.15 KB 
Downloaded  334 Time(s) 

Last edited by rerwin on Sun 06 Sep 2009, 12:54; edited 1 time in total
Page 12 of 13 [183 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: