4.3 Beta 1 -- bugs and reports

Please post any bugs you have found
fratermus

Re: past sfs's

#166 Post by fratermus »

GrumpyWolfe wrote:Hi All
I was just about to say I have a bug then read the post about incompatible sfs's. But did not think that was going to affect the save files. At one time I think I remember puppylinux offering to upgrade a save file or something like that. If I was to rename it to the new name system would it then offer to convert it.
Watching with interest. As a puppy newb I am confused about how one will be able to use their 4.2x pupsave file in the 4.3 version.

4.3 doesn't seem to see the 4.21's pup_save_crypta.2fs on the hard drive. Does this mean we will effectively have to clean install 4.3 when it becomes a release, and reconfigure by hand?

It's not a dealbreaker, I just don't think I understand what is supposed to happen.

rerwin

Source for new hybrid Linuxant HSF modem driver

#167 Post by rerwin »

Although I have sent this information to Barry via PM, the latest message has remained in my outbox since 8/25, so I am re-posting it here, that it not get lost.

I followed directions in the ubuntu community wiki for merging part of the oem-version of the HSF modem driver into the latest version from Linuxant, to retain the best of both. I added a step that allows it to be compiled for either of our kernels (and probably any others). I have documented all that I did to create the source tarball, compile and configure it, and update the firmware tarball. I also documented the compiling, configuring and firmware updating for the HCF and DGC modem drivers.

Attached are the HSF-full-dell-hybrid source tarball and the instructions intended for addition to Barry's "kernel.modules.txt" file, which explains how to compile and integrate each special driver. I have already sent Barry the HCF and DGC source tarballs. I hope all three will be added to the puppylinux.com/sources collection for both kernels.

The resultant (k2.6.29.6) dotpet for all three drivers is here:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 081#335081
Richard
Attachments
kernel-modules-insert.tar.gz
How I compiled and configured the drivers, and
updated the related firmware tarballs for the HCF,HSF & DGC Conexant modems.
(1.13 KiB) Downloaded 547 times

capoverde

Drive capacity always 0,0GB

#168 Post by capoverde »

Seeking in the thread I didn't find a mention about this: testing Puppy 4.3 Beta1 on a friend's PC, I accidentally saw that when the mouse pointer stays over a drive icon, the filesystem description comes out OK but the capacity is always 0,0GB.
Didn't mind about that on my machine; will have a look when back home.

* * * Edited: Sure, happens on my box too.
:( ...And the <Insert> key bug is back... Awwww... :(
Last edited by capoverde on Mon 31 Aug 2009, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.

rerwin

Linuxant-patched ALSA driver 1.0.20 source tarball

#169 Post by rerwin »

Attached is the Linuxant 1.0.20 patch for application to the alsa-driver-1.0.20 source package. It supports "high definition audio" HSF modems. I have applied the patch and compiled the alsa-driver successfully. I cannot attach the resultant source tarball as it is almost 4 MB and is rejected by the forum attacher.

I have no way of testing it, because (1) I don't have such a modem and (2) the beta1 on which I built it is still at level 1.0.16. I can provide the dotpet once beta2 is released, assuming beta2 uses alsa-driver-1.0.20.

Here is my "kernel.modules.txt" entry for both patching and building it:
alsa-driver-1.0.20-hda-patched
To patch an extracted original alsa-driver, obtain the linuxant patch matching the alsa-driver version, to directory containing the extracted alsa-driver directory (home), then:
# cd
Make Linuxant patch:
# patch -p0 < alsa-driver-1.0.20-2.patch
Rename as patched driver, for Conexant HSF HDA modems:
# mv alsa-driver-1.0.20 alsa-driver-1.0.20-hda-patched
Make patched source tarball:
# tar -czf alsa-driver-1.0.20-hda-patched.tar.gz alsa-driver-1.0.20-hda-patched
End of patched-source tarball creation
Compile the alsa driver:
# cd alsa-driver-1.0.20-hda-patched
# ./configure --with-cards=hda-codec-conexant,hda-codec,hda-intel
# make
# new2dir make install
...manual install alsa-driver-1.0.20-hda-patched-i486/lib/modules/.../kernel/sound/* to kernel/sound
Although there is mention on the Web of a patch for Agere HDA modems, that patch appears to be unnecessary with 1.0.20, as I get errors if I try it.
Richard
Attachments
alsa-driver-1.0.20-2.patch.tar.gz
Patch for support of Conexant HSF HDA modems, for P4.3beta2 (assuming it has alsa 1.0.20).
(8 KiB) Downloaded 469 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#170 Post by BarryK »

trio wrote:Barry,

Thanks for the response

1. Pcur is great, but default folder should not be in the list also, same as Rox
2. b43 issue, I have to get back to you tomorrow, I don't have the computer with b43 with me now (it's 8.30 PM now here :wink: )

regards
Trio,
The script writes to a log file, /root/test_b43.log.gz
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#171 Post by BarryK »

Regarding the problem with the firmware not installing for b43 module, sorry but my previous test script has a bug.

Trio and others, would you be so kind as to test with this script:
Attachments
test_b43_2.sh.gz
(583 Bytes) Downloaded 481 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#172 Post by BarryK »

...probably best to test with "pfix=ram" and of course be sure that your hardware that needs the b43 module is present.

sinc

#173 Post by sinc »

i believe the first line in the terminal said something to the effect of 'b43 module not found in /proc/modules' but i use the b43legacy module in this computer (i'm posting from it in 2.14x8 right now). heres the log from the script. let me know if you want me to try something else. thanks.

this was from a clean install with no pupsave.
Attachments
test_b43.log.gz
(2.22 KiB) Downloaded 439 times
Last edited by sinc on Mon 31 Aug 2009, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.

trio

#174 Post by trio »

Barry,

Here's the log you asked (with pfix=ram). Also please notice the jpg I attached.

Tq
Attachments
b43.jpg
(21.79 KiB) Downloaded 1435 times
test_b43.log.gz
(3 KiB) Downloaded 453 times

James C

#175 Post by James C »

I've been testing 423 Beta (2.6.25.16 and 2.6.29.6 kernels) live saving to usb stick. Tonight I decided to do a full hard drive install.....no success.

The installer identified my ext3 partition as ext4, proceeded anyway .Completed installation, rebooted and......nothing. Booted into a different Puppy on a different partition and checked where I installed 430 Beta,or 423 in grub, and discovered a totally empty partition. No files were copied during the installation.

Reformated and tried again, same negative results.Any ideas?

rerwin

Agere modem driver, firmware & rules package

#176 Post by rerwin »

I have compiled the latest version of the non-HDA drivers for Agere/agrsm modems, patched to resolve a compiler error and using the 2.6.30.5 kernel source. Here are the "kernel.modules.txt" instructions for patching and building; the patched source tarball; and a dotpet containing the 2 agr modules, updated udev rules to support all modems specified in the driver source, and an updated firmware tarball where the script now allows for use of an optional HDA version of the drivers.

The HDA option will apply only to the puppy version using kernel 2.6.25.16, because the HDA driver cannot be compiled for later kernels due a GPL issue regarding proprietary code. But I want to avoid multiple versions of the script. (My plan is to provide an HDA version of the drivers when the standard version of beta2 is available, as an optional dotpet, to be conservative.)

The instructions:
agrsm-20090502-patched
To patch the original tarball, extract agrsm-20090502.tar.gz, which creates directory agrsm-20090502, then:
# cd agrsm-20090502
Patch use of low-level function call (to use higher-level interface same as other drivers):
# sed -i -e 's/__request_region(&ioport_resource, /request_region(/' agrsoftmodem.c
Create patched tarball:
# cd
# tar -czf agrsm-20090502-patched.tar.gz agrsm-20090502
End of patching process. Start here if using patched tarball.
# cd agrsm-20090502
# make
# make install
The warnings about "section mismatches" can be ignored.
...manual install /lib/modules/.../extra/agr* to extra
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 05 Sep 2009, 04:46, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

not a bug

#177 Post by playdayz »

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# ./iron
./iron: /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.0.0' not found (required by ./iron)
./iron: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by ./iron)
./iron: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.8' not found (required by ./iron)
./iron: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by ./iron)
./iron: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.10' not found (required by ./iron)
sh-3.00# 
This is what happens when I try to run SRWare Iron alpha for linux (the spyware free version of google chrome). It is not a bug in 4.3 of course but I am wondering if 4.3 will be able to run Iron or should be able to run Iron or could be able to run Iron or would be able to run Iron with some hacks....

It (4.3) will be able to run Seamonkey 2.0 which is noticeably faster than the 1.1.x versions of Seamonkey (on benchmarks and in normal use), and Iron is noticeably faster again--it will finally give Linux a browser that is equal to the fastest browsers available anywhere. And if not in 4.3 then in 5 I hope. I spend an enormous amount of time working in browsers and the speed is a welcome usability feature. thanks.

Tui

#178 Post by Tui »

Att: Mr. Barry K, I hope you read my post.
Please revert to the ALL in your next Puppy beta version,
I would like to see it back in the PETget package manager as I find it better to
go thro' A - Z when looking for a package as I don't know what packages are
filled under.

Thanks
Tui

BarryK
Puppy Master

#179 Post by BarryK »

I posted this notice on my blog, but in case anyone didn't read it...

4.3beta2 should be out in a day or two, so if you are interested in testing a 4.3 beta then hold off a bit. Lots of bugs in 4.3beta1 have been fixed.

rerwin

Intel 536 modem driver compiles for 2.6.30.5

#180 Post by rerwin »

After many false starts I have patched and compiled the driver for Intel 536 modems. However, I have not be able to test on my modem. When attempting to compile for 2.6.29.6 I get some errors that I could try to work around and then test, but I submit my results so far for either inclusion or user testing on beta2. The dotpet has the driver file and the updated firmware tarball. I do not want to delay submission any longer.
UPDATE: The dotpet attachment is not quite correct: wrong /lib/modules/<kernel>". The corrected dotpet is now in the beta2 forum, here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 644#338644

Here is my "kernel.modules.txt" entry for the Intel536:
intel-536EP-2.56.76.0_2009_02_08-patched
Create patched version for all kernels, by extracting tarball intel-536EP-2.56.76.0_2009_02_08, which creates directory intel-536EP-2.56.76.0, then:
# cd intel-536EP-2.56.76.0
Patch to avoid using member 'owner', removed from kernel 2.6.30:
# sed -i -e 's%\( *\)\(hamproc->owner = THIS_MODULE;\)%\1#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE < KERNEL_VERSION(2,6,30)\n\1\2\n\1#endif%' coredrv/coredrv.c
Create patched tarball:
# cd
# tar -czf intel-536EP-2.56.76.0_2009_02_08-patched.tar.gz intel-536EP-2.56.76.0
End of patching process. Start here if using patched tarball.
# cd intel-536EP-2.56.76.0
# make clean
# make 536
# make install
The make-install will end with an error message that can be ignored, as the error occurs on the final command of the script:
unknown distribution - no boot scripts have been installed
make: *** [install] Error 1
...manual install /lib/modules/.../kernel/drivers/char/Intel536.ko to extra
[NOTE THAT THE DRIVER PREVIOUSLY WAS IN /kernel/drivers/char/, SO THIS WOULD BE A CHANGE TOWARD CONSISTENCY WITH OTHER PUPPY-MAINTAINED DRIVERS -- IF BARRY CONCURS.]
...also userland stuff - Update the intel536ep firmware tarball:
- copy /usr/sbin/hamregistry into usr/sbin/ in the /lib/modules/all-firmware/intel536ep tarball.
The dotpet contains the updated firmware tarball. I have also compiled this for kernel 2.6.25.16 and it tests successfully. (I understand this may be too late for the beta2, but the dotpet can be installed by testers.)

BTW, the 537 driver appears to be a more difficult task, so will take some time.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 06 Sep 2009, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#181 Post by James C »

I figure there will be a new thread for Beta 2, but here's a quick report here.

I downloaded 424 Beta 2 (2.6.30.5 kernel) and have already completed a full hard drive install on my P3 test box. I could not install the last few releases (see my other post earlier) but this time all the partitions were identified as the correct file system,ext3, and the install took the usual 5 or 6 minutes.

Thanks for fixing the problem.

First bug, Nathan's Wallpaper Setter will not launch, from menu or terminal. I do really like the default wallpaper though.

More testing.........

BarryK
Puppy Master

#182 Post by BarryK »

James,
I have found the problem with Nathans Wallpaper Setter, will post fixed package soon.
Last edited by BarryK on Sun 06 Sep 2009, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#183 Post by 01micko »

32ab1b4c8308a392c82e74caf475a033 pup-424.iso

correct md5, and yes i like that wall too :)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access