[HowTo] Install Skype on Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Iguleder

[HowTo] Install Skype on Puppy

#1 Post by Iguleder »

Install Skype on Puppy by Iguleder

This guide instructs you how to install the latest Skype on your Puppy, through the official site. This guide uses static binaries, which means Skype doesn't need any addidional libraries, it comes as an all-in-one package.

Read the instructions carefully and don't get too nervous. I did my best to simplify it as much as possible.

Changelog:
27/8/09: tiny note.
25/8/09: update, credit goes to don largo.
16/8/09: first version.

REQUIREMENTS:
- Puppy Linux - tested on 4.2.1 (yes, I know, 4.0 themes, I really like them), but any version should work.

Step 1: downloading Skype.

Download the latest Skype here and save it to /root.

Step 2: unpacking Skype.

Click the console icon on your desktop, and run:

Code: Select all

tar xjvf skype_static-*.tar.bz2
A directory named skype_static-x.x.x.x (while x.x.x.x is the version number) will be created, with Skype's files inside it. Rename the directory to skype (lowercase!).

You can move this directory to some other location if its existence in your home directory bothers you. To save valuable pupsave memory, you can place the skype directory in /mnt/home (for Frugal installations), or somewhere on your hard drive.

Then, go to the console (console icon on your desktop), and run (replace /root/skype with your Skype directory's location, if you moved it):

Code: Select all

ln -s /root/skype /usr/share
For advanced users: you can rename the Skype directory to anything, but make sure that the symlink in /usr/share is named skype.

(Credit for this last step goes to don largo, thanks!)

Step 3: creating a desktop icon.

Go to the skype directory using the file manager (file icon on your desktop).
Drag the file skype to your Desktop.

Now right-click the icon -> File 'skype' -> Set Icon ... . A window will open.

Go to the directory icons (inside the previously opened skype directory) and drag SkypeBlue_48x48.png to the icon changing window.

Step 4: configuring Skype.

Run Skype using the icon you just created. Call the testing service (every user has it in the list by default, the username is echo123 in case you don't) and check your audio input.

If you cannot hear yourself, go to the audio options (through the Skype icon on Skype's status bar), and change the input device. In my case (with an onboard Intel HDA card), it didn't work for me under default settings, so i tried to change to device 0 or 1, but Skype won't let me. I changed to 2 (in the picture below) and it worked wonderfully. I guess that 0 is the blue plug (unused in my case) and 1 is the green plug (output, speakers).

After changing your input device, use the testing service again (or call someone in enthusiasm) to make sure it works. For me, the testing service didn't work, even with the right input device, so I had to call a friend.

You can change Skype's language (the menus, dialogs, etc') through the options dialog, the "general" section.

Enjoy, fellow mates. :wink:
Last edited by Iguleder on Thu 27 Aug 2009, 10:35, edited 5 times in total.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

jakfish

#2 Post by jakfish »

What a great guide, thanks! I had been thinking about installing a more current version than the pet I have, and here you've made it so easy.

Much obliged,
Jake

don largo

Installing Skype on Puppy

#3 Post by don largo »

Nice guide Iguleder!

One suggestion, however. Skype needs the files to be unpacked to the following directory: /usr/share/skype/

Be aware that Skype will only look down this path if the Skype folder is named simply Skype and not Skype_static-etc.

Doing this will allow you access to options such as localization and sound files. If you leave everything in /root/skype you can still point Skype to each associated sound, albeit one at a time, through the options panel in Skype. Language file pathways cannot be defined through the option panels.

Iguleder

Re: Installing Skype on Puppy

#4 Post by Iguleder »

don largo wrote:Doing this will allow you access to options such as localization and sound files. If you leave everything in /root/skype you can still point Skype to each associated sound, albeit one at a time, through the options panel in Skype. Language file pathways cannot be defined through the option panels.
Really nice suggestion, but this is Puppy, it's meant to be light - localizations are heavy and usually useless in lighter distros. Besides, putting the Skype directory in /mnt/home or somewhere saves valuable saving space.
The best option is to put the Skype directory in /mnt/home or somewhere and create a symlink, I guess. :wink:

I'll update the tutorial, thank you.

Sylvander

#5 Post by Sylvander »

A Puppy newbie here. :D

1. I'm running in BoxPup 4.1.3

2. Followed your instructions down to the point where attempting to drag and drop /root/skype/skype to the desktop, but it won't make an icon [shortcut?] on the desktop.
I've tried this using both Xfe and Thunar to do this.

3. Is it possible to put an entry in the Menu instead or additionally?

4. Made a symlink from /root/skype to /usr/share/skype.
What is the function of that?

5. My mic input connection doesn't function , and I've bought this USB2 Audio Adapter, which is due for delivery, possibly today, and hopefully will allow me to make use of this installation of Skype.

Iguleder

#6 Post by Iguleder »

Sylvander wrote: 1. I'm running in BoxPup 4.1.3

2. Followed your instructions down to the point where attempting to drag and drop /root/skype/skype to the desktop, but it won't make an icon [shortcut?] on the desktop.
I've tried this using both Xfe and Thunar to do this.
The guide is for JWM, for the default Puppy. As far as I know, any average desktop environment should support drag and drop in this fashion.
Sylvander wrote: 3. Is it possible to put an entry in the Menu instead or additionally?
You have to do this manually. Try to edit the skype.desktop file in the Skype folder: change the "exec" line to the path to the "skype" file (the executable) and the icon too. Should work at least for GNOME and XFCE.

If you use OpenBox, I don't know how things work there ...
Sylvander wrote: 4. Made a symlink from /root/skype to /usr/share/skype.
What is the function of that?
It enables Skype sound notifications (verified), UI sounds (verified) and localizations.

Sylvander

#7 Post by Sylvander »

1. Skype is now on the menu and functioning. :D
(a) Made the suggested changes to the skype.desktop file.

(b) Moved the skype.desktop file from /root/skype to /usr/share/applications

2. This "Skype 2.0 for Linux" is rather primitive when compared to my other copy = version 4.1 for Windows. :(
Is this the most up-to-date version available for [Puppy] Linux?
I might try running version 4.1 for Windows under WINE.

3. Neither copy of Skype is able to see any signal from the mic on my Labtec headset, even though now using my newly bought Lindy USB 2.0 Audio Adapter.

don largo

#8 Post by don largo »

I think I mislead you with ambiguous terminology. The Skype package comes replete with language options--I was referring to this and not to localization files placed in /usr/share/locale or wherever. If a symlink works, it seems a very reasonable solution which would allow you to place the program elsewhere.

Of course, your comment about localization files being heavy is well taken, but there are those of us who are obliged to deal with foreign languages as a part of daily life. I live in Japan and must have access to English, Japanese and Spanish for both work and play. Using three languages is a daily part of my life, and I find myself in a kind of linguistic Bermuda Triangle--a real headache I can assure you. Anyway, I think you will agree that the beauty of Puppy is size tempered by flexibility.

If you add a note to your tutorial, I'm sure that foreign language or multiple language users will be pleased.

alix_board

#9 Post by alix_board »

Hi Iguleder,

thanks a lot for this perfect guide!

greets,
alix_board

Iguleder

#10 Post by Iguleder »

Sylvander wrote:1. Skype is now on the menu and functioning. :D
2. This "Skype 2.0 for Linux" is rather primitive when compared to my other copy = version 4.1 for Windows. :(
Yes, it is limited ... but still usable. That's the latest version, yes.
Sylvander wrote: 3. Neither copy of Skype is able to see any signal from the mic on my Labtec headset, even though now using my newly bought Lindy USB 2.0 Audio Adapter.
Change the audio options ... does Puppy recognize it? Try to record something with Audacity to check it out or something. I'm not familiar with USB adapters.
don largo wrote: ... I was referring to this and not to localization files placed in /usr/share/locale or wherever.
Yes, I'm aware of that. Skype has its own language files.
don largo wrote:
If you add a note to your tutorial, I'm sure that foreign language or multiple language users will be pleased.
I'll add a note about the localizations, thanks for the suggestion.

kolnikoff

#11 Post by kolnikoff »

Thanks it worked perfectly, i wasn't even necessary to adjust sound parameters

stevesr0

Notification problem symlink no help

#12 Post by stevesr0 »

I have skype installed and recently realized that it doesn't ring when I get a call.

So I looked on this forum and found the info about adding the symlink and followed the directions.

However, still no wave files are launched for incoming calls.

The sound files are there and I can play them with gxine, but cannot evoke them by calling myself.

Appreciate some suggestions about troubleshooting this.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Iguleder

#13 Post by Iguleder »

I haven't used Skype for a long time, but I think there is an option to cancel sound notifications. Check both the sound settings and the call settings.

stevesr0

Wav files for notifications not playing (Partly solved)

#14 Post by stevesr0 »

Thanks for response, iguleder.

I was looking at the guide you posted for installing Skype a few months ago.

In it you mentioned getting notification sound files to work using a tip from Don Largo.

I applied the tip (a symlink) to no avail.

I was hoping that you or Don or someone could help me understand what I am doing wrong and fix it.

I have managed at least a partial fix.

I checked the properties of the wav files and made them executable by everybody. This eliminated the yellow triangle next to the call incoming wav file although the red circle with a minus sign remained.
Didn't seem to work for any of the other Skype wav files.

Steve

sunburnt

#15 Post by sunburnt »

HI Iguleder; This looks perfect for making a SFS file out of.
In fact it looks perfect for jrb`s ChoicePup, it has non-union SFS files.
Being as this runs out of a dir. that`s anywhere, it`ll definitely work.

sunburnt

#16 Post by sunburnt »

I made a SFS file out of it and it works great!
If you want to you can post it...

Iguleder

#17 Post by Iguleder »

You should post it in the software forum, that's great.

sunburnt

#18 Post by sunburnt »

Iguleder; One thing sweet is this setup can be used by many different Puppy installs!!!

Also... I assume that the file: skype.conf is written to by setup and configuration?
So to use it for: "mount but don`t union" the file needs to be copied somewhere.

brin

Re: Installing Skype on Puppy

#19 Post by brin »

don largo wrote:Nice guide Iguleder!

One suggestion, however. Skype needs the files to be unpacked to the following directory: /usr/share/skype/
Thanks to this last little detail, NOW I have my skype in native lang. :D

Also THX to Iguleder!

works perfect!

brin

hakar

#20 Post by hakar »

I can not work !!! , Skype 2.0.0.72 - message "problem with audio capture", Puppy 4.2
help me :?