[HowTo] Install Skype on Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
jhecht

#121 Post by jhecht »

GREAT NEWS! :) :) I found a Puppy Linux variant that not only works perfectly, but ALSO has Skype built in. Yay! Even better, it has Puppy/Slacko as the base build, so you get the latest/greatest Puppy (5.71) AND a pre-installed Skype, all in the same download.

The new dawg is called Simplicity and the URL for it is: http://simplicitylinux.org/. This is apparently a variant on Precise Puppy to be more exact. I've just d/l and installed it, and am now testing. Stay tuned!

This is on a Lenovo Ideapad netbook. NOTE: you want to d/l the >desktop< version - even for a netbook install, as the 'desktop' version has Skype pre-installed, and the 'netbook' version does not.

I'll reply to your other points shortly, but I couldn't wait to share the good news. Skype is not only installed on this build, it freakin' works! :)
John Hechtman / www.zenarrow.com / jhecht@ix.netcom.com
"Computer help in NYC" / 917 628 0192 - cell / 212 586 4633 - landline

greengeek

#122 Post by greengeek »

Excellent news!

jhecht

#123 Post by jhecht »

New distro, new bugs (sigh). Although Simplicity/Slacko seems quite a nice distro, and well worth debugging.

Good news is that a lot of things are fixed for me. Bad news is that some things aren't fixed, and new/different stuff is/has broken. Here's a list of the good/bad/ugly. hey, just because Skype is installed, doesn't mean it actually uh, works (sigh).

*Skype is installed and runs, but still has various bugs
-Skype test call launches, but no playback, and no mic level >in Skype<. -Mic level is good on the desktop (loud, even - I can hear it when I tap my fingernail on the desktop at quite a respectable level).
-Playback of pre-recorded media (mp-4 video) shows video and plays sound at a decent level.
-Recording sound also works - well, sort of. Using the internal mic, and mhWaveEdit, I get audible sound and a low-volume waveform in mhEtc. Still, its's audible and visible sound, as opposed to Skype, which shows nothing.
-This is with the following settings in Retrovol - settings are in % of level bar used.
--Master = 100%
--PCM = 60% - what is PCM, btw?
--Headphones = 100%
--Mic = 45% - this is for ext mic, right?
--Beep = 15%
--Internal Mic = 85% - to avoid distortion. I must speak very close to it for a good level, and still must speak loudly.
--Speaker = 100%
--Capture = 42%
--Digital = 45%
--Mic Boost = 60%
--Auto-Mute mode = enabled
--Internal Mic Boost = 70%
--Alsa mixer GUI shows the same settings

Re: audio/video - using pAVrecord, I can record both pic and sound on the netbook. And I have working audio and video on my Win 7 desktop, just not quite yet in Skype (drat).
--Using Skype, I called my desktop (as Ali) from her netbook. was able to get video both ways (yay!) but NO sound in either direction. The 'mic' symbol on both Skype session GUIs is not muted - yet I have no sound in Skype, when both computers have sound locally. Very odd...
--Trying things the other way, my desktop Skype calling Ali's netbook, gives the same result - video both ways, but no audio either way, despite both Skype-mic icons not being muted.

That should give us enough to contemplate for a bit... Thanks for your continuing support in this epic saga. Got any audio questions you'd like answered in return? (grin)

greengeek

#124 Post by greengeek »

jhecht wrote:-Skype test call launches, but no playback, and no mic level >in Skype<. -Mic level is good on the desktop
I am only guessing but sounds like your desktop programmes are using Alsa (working fine) and the Skype is trying to use pulseaudio.(maybe not properly set up on that distro?)

With regard to mixer settings i would advise activating only one microphone at a time. Once you are happy that one works locally (eg pAVrecord etc), stick with that one in Skype.

Generally I find it better to have capture set fairly low (20%) and use the mic boost and mic slider to set the best level. Higher capture levels seem to introduce distortion for me. Also having two mics activated at the same time increase my distortion.

Just remember that recent Skype ignores your Alsa (and mixer) setup. If you want to stick with Alsa you have to run with Skype 4.2

I was playing around last night with different logins and it seems to me that the Skype server remembers the options you last logged in with. With a couple of the logins I used I found it necessary to go into Skype soundcard options and turn off the "allow skype to adjust my mixer" otherwise it would keep maxing out my levels and destroy the sound quality. (This is only testing with the older Alsa compatible version though).

EDIT : - When using Skype it's also important to close any other programmes that have been using the soundcard. That is why I think it is so important to do the Skype testing straight after a live boot from CD - so there is no interference from odd setups or other running programmes (some of which can leave zombie processes locking the soundcard functionality). Generally Skype will tell you if it thinks there is a problem but soundcard clash/conflict is something to keep in mind...

greengeek

#125 Post by greengeek »

jhecht wrote:My (Win 7) Skype is version 7.0.59.102.
Hi John - I have been thinking about some of the issues you have had and i would like to clarify some things:
- When you sign in to Skype (on any machine) do you use the Skype name or do you use the Microsoft account name?
- Has your Slacko 5.7.0 CD been remastered at all or is it "virgin" as downloaded?
- At the end of a Skype session (on any machine) do you select 'quit' or 'signout' or something else?

I've been wondering if a new Skype session or install could possibly be affected by the way a user operated their LAST session. Perhaps the skype server retains some settings? Maybe we can get to a standard method that leaves the Skype server happy to connect a new session, regardless of which operating system it was on.

jhecht

#126 Post by jhecht »

greengeek wrote:
jhecht wrote:My (Win 7) Skype is version 7.0.59.102.
greengeek wrote:- When you sign in to Skype (on any machine) do you use the Skype name or do you use the Microsoft account name?
I always use the Skype name on both my account and Ali's. Thanks for your continued help! :)
greengeek wrote:- Has your Slacko 5.7.0 CD been remastered at all or is it "virgin" as downloaded?
The Slacko 5.7.0 CD is a blushing virgin (grin). I have just gone through the ritual of wiping the netbook's hard drive of Simplicity Puppy, and re-installing both Slacko Puppy 5.7.0 and a new version of Skype. The end result, unfortunately, is that I get the same 'Skype cannot connect' error message on the netbook. This is using Skype 4.2 for Linux - which is what the Puppy Package Manager offered me. IIRC, you said that 4.2 (Linux) no longer worked, is that correct?

To further complicate matters, when I try to uninstall Skype 4.2 (Linux), to try installing 4.3, I get an error that says:

Cannot uninstall Skype 4.2.0.11
Sorry but these other installed packages depend on the package you want to uninstall:
gst-plugins-base-0.10.36
gstreamer-0.10.36
qt-4.8.2

That's because I was silly enough to try and correct all the missing dependencies (sigh).

So the only way for me (AFAIK) to try installing Skype 4.3, is to wipe Puppy, reload Puppy, and then try loading Skype 4.3. That's a royal PITA, but I'm willing to try it. I'm also in the process of investigating Linphone as a less troublesome alternative. I'll let you know how that goes.
greengeek wrote:- At the end of a Skype session (on any machine) do you select 'quit' or 'signout' or something else?
I normally leave >my< Skype active, and just end the session, so others can Skype me. On the netbook, normally Ali would do the same, signout, but leave Skype running.
greengeek wrote:I've been wondering if a new Skype session or install could possibly be affected by the way a user operated their LAST session. Perhaps the skype server retains some settings? Maybe we can get to a standard method that leaves the Skype server happy to connect a new session, regardless of which operating system it was on.
Sounds like a good idea, but ATM, I'm clueless on how to proceed. Suggestions?

greengeek

#127 Post by greengeek »

jhecht wrote:I normally leave >my< Skype active, and just end the session, so others can Skype me. On the netbook, normally Ali would do the same, signout, but leave Skype running.
Thanks. Could you be more specific about exactly what you click once you are finished?
- eg: what do you mean by "end the session", and what do you mean by "signout but leave skype running"? Although you say Ali would do the same as you, those two things seem like opposites. (ie - if others can still skype you then you can't be signed out)

I know it seems pedantic, but the specifics of exactly how you terminate the session may be the key to what is failing.

I have made another pet which is designed to coach the user step by step during the login phase and then the switch to skype 4.2

Would you be interested in trying this pet? I know you don't want extra complexity and that you want this to be straightforward to use, but I think the step by step method may yield some clues. There must be a reason why Alis netbook does not like my combo method and I would be keen to find out what exactly the problem is because it may just be a regional issue that cannot be overcome by my method - it may be something to do with the skype server in your region, rather than a Puppy issue.
cheers!

jhecht

#128 Post by jhecht »

greengeek wrote:
jhecht wrote:I normally leave >my< Skype active, and just end the session, so others can Skype me. On the netbook, normally Ali would do the same, signout, but leave Skype running.
Thanks. Could you be more specific about exactly what you click once you are finished?
Sure - when I sign out (of Skype) - as opposed to ending a session - by clicking 'Sign out' - Skype is still running on my computer. The Skype icon is still visible in my taskbar, but is white, not green.
greengeek wrote:- eg: what do you mean by "end the session", and what do you mean by "signout but leave skype running"? Although you say Ali would do the same as you, those two things seem like opposites. (ie - if others can still skype you then you can't be signed out)
Sorry, I wrote my last reply when running on zero sleep, so it's not clear. You are (of course) correct - I have to be signed in for others to Skype me.

I 'end the session' by signing out of the session >itself<. Skype is both running and the icon is green. Ali would >not< normally do this, as she does not want Skype messages that are unrequested, and has not gotten used to 'invisible' mode. In her case, she signs out of Skype itself, and the icon turns white. Skype is still running on her computer, but is inactive. I hope that's clearer?
greengeek wrote:I know it seems pedantic, but the specifics of exactly how you terminate the session may be the key to what is failing.
Here's a big clue - your comments made me try logging in >as Ali< on my computer. Using Win Skype 7.0.59.102, I can log in both as myself, and as her - no problem. So it seems both >accounts< are OK.

On Ali's netbook, >neither< account works, even with a brand new loadup of both Puppy, and Skype 4.2 for Linux. I've not yet gotten your trick of switching to 4.3 during the install.
greengeek wrote:I have made another pet which is designed to coach the user step by step during the login phase and then the switch to skype 4.2
Many thanks! I would LOVE to try it - details please?
greengeek wrote:Would you be interested in trying this pet? I know you don't want extra complexity and that you want this to be straightforward to use, but I think the step by step method may yield some clues. There must be a reason why Alis netbook does not like my combo method and I would be keen to find out what exactly the problem is because it may just be a regional issue that cannot be overcome by my method - it may be something to do with the skype server in your region, rather than a Puppy issue.
cheers!
As above, tell me how to get your latest variant, and I will try it asap.
But since I am trying all variants from my apt. in NYC, does not that rule out regional issues? On my Win 7 computer, both accounts work. On her Linux-ified netbook, neither account works.

I have installed Linphone on both my Win 7 box, and the netbook. Would you be willing to try Linphone for a short test?

greengeek

#129 Post by greengeek »

jhecht wrote:I have installed Linphone on both my Win 7 box, and the netbook. Would you be willing to try Linphone for a short test?
Yes I am keen to try Linphone. I do want to leave that till after I feel happy with Skype though. Its so much easier to have compatibility with friends around the world and I doubt I could convert them to Linphone. It might become a necessity though :-)
On Ali's netbook, >neither< account works, even with a brand new loadup of both Puppy, and Skype 4.2 for Linux. I've not yet gotten your trick of switching to 4.3 during the install.
OK, thats what I'm trying to cure with my step by step version. Lets work with her netbook and see how far along the process we get.
But since I am trying all variants from my apt. in NYC, does not that rule out regional issues?
Not necessarily. It may be that US skype servers require a tighter control of user login credentials / cookies or whatever they use, whereas the Oceania servers that i link to may be set to a less stringent method. (I have read on Ubuntu forums that there are regional differences). Maybe my method will not work in the USA. I am hoping that my step by step method will reveal exactly where the problem is.

Even if we don't get enough skype functionality to satisfy your needs I at least want to get you to the point of a successful test call.

I have written a tutorial to guide you through my method here

You will need the following two pets (use them only exactly as discussed in the tutorial). Download them to /root - make sure you don't click "open" - click 'save' only.

Skype43 test pet here

Skypecombo pet (includes step by step "dzen2" coaching) here

mikeb

#130 Post by mikeb »

Hi

been putting together qt 4.8.6 for lucid with skype (and others) in mind .
Thing is skype itself seems to reject all my hardware here for whatever reasons even though it seems to have all needed dependencies. If someone could test I would be grateful.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/110 ... d_sfs4.sfs

Its not a full package.... just that needed for skype for now.
Also does not need rebooting as in standard path...but needs testing with skype directly to avoid included libs.

Yes skype is a PITA it seems...never used to have a problem...VOIP seems so much easier and would be nice if more commonly used.

mike

now if someone invented a program that could couple voip to skype..... ;)

watchdog

#131 Post by watchdog »

mikeb wrote:Hi

been putting together qt 4.8.6 for lucid with skype (and others) in mind .
Thing is skype itself seems to reject all my hardware here for whatever reasons even though it seems to have all needed dependencies. If someone could test I would be grateful.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/110 ... d_sfs4.sfs
I have done a fast test in a frugal of lucid 5.28_005 where I was using a working skype 4.3 with pulseaudio-2.1-lucid.pet and qt-4.8.0-basic-with-qtwebkit-dpup.pet (I convert it in a sfs...). Your qt4-4.8.6 seems not compatible:

Code: Select all

sh-4.1# ./skype4.3
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).
/usr/local/skype-4.3.0.37/skype: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libQtDBus.so.4: undefined symbol: dbus_connection_can_send_type
sh-4.1# 
My skype 4.3 script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so
#export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so
pulseaudio --start
QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/qt4/plugins /usr/local/skype-4.3.0.37/skype "$@"
pulseaudio --kill

mikeb

#132 Post by mikeb »

Hmm that looks like its looking for a newer dbus.

All I ever get is a few seconds of cpu and the 'aborted'.
So a running pulseaudio needed ... I see why you all want to keep older versions running :D Already had to add gstreamer libs for webkit.

The libs are from debian wheezy backports.... gets a bit mad since in ubuntu lucid which is apparently newer has a qt4 which is older (4.6) and trouble finding 4.8 for it...... I also wanted a package without the libs in silly places so no need to mess with paths.

Could compile..sources are like 280MB!!!

No problem and thanks for the test.

Mike

mikeb

#133 Post by mikeb »

Hmm tried the pulseaudio lucid pet and after using system cos it wont allow root (odd since you can) it then segfaults... does all this stuff hate our hardware..if so well done bill gates.
I guess the apulse is the other way.... going crosseyed.

mike

watchdog

#134 Post by watchdog »

mikeb wrote:Hmm tried the pulseaudio lucid pet and after using system cos it wont allow root (odd since you can) it then segfaults... does all this stuff hate our hardware..if so well done bill gates.
I guess the apulse is the other way.... going crosseyed.

mike
Pulseaudio allows root: its message at console is only a warning. I suggest to read 3 posts in the other thread if you are in lucid:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 509#800509

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 590#801590

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... d5d#796788

mikeb

#135 Post by mikeb »

Thanks for the links...not been following this until recently and appreciate a lot of work has been done.

copy.com does not work with firefox 3.6 so will need to reboot later....

Did have a package with apulse before but did not realise how to use it or why it was there since i was used to the simple ways of older skype.

From those threads it appears SSE2 is the most likely problem...plus I read skype has problems with nvidias drivers too...

Opened a large can of worms....

thanks

mike