[HowTo] Install Skype on Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Mitchellray

Skype Mic not working ASUS 1005HA

#31 Post by Mitchellray »

Hello,
(I have had previous success with these instructions on my desktop.)
Now I tried the Puppy 4.3.1 on my 1005HA and I installed Skype per link and instructions.
However, the mic will not pick up. The mic works in skype in xp on this machine.
I tried the options sound options, but there are only two that are not USB.
I tried both ALSA mixer and Zmixer. Zmixer will not let me move the slider for mic.
I could not follow some of the previous posts and whether the suggestions would address this problem.
Mitchellray

KC Lee

Alsa Mixer

#32 Post by KC Lee »

Really nice guide Igulder. Many thanks!

Michellray: I am very new to Puppy and I had the same problem after installing Skype. Solved it by using Alsa Mixer. Use the "Tab" and "up key" to adjust volume, mic, capture etc and it works! Good luck. Don't give up on puppy - it's so good.

Thank you Barry and the team!

tom4jean

#33 Post by tom4jean »

Under quirky 010 does not start and I get this from the Command line;

# ./skype
./skype: error while loading shared libraries: libXss.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#

EDIT;

I got the files libXss from here;
http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/ttuuxxx/Libs/

Copied them to /usr/lib

And it works. :D
AKA: tom4jesus; Running Quirky 1.0 on Compaq cq10 netbook
Search the Puppy Forums to find that elusive PET;
[url]http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyLinuxSearchEngine[/url]

Bluebris

Re: [HowTo] Install Skype on Puppy

#34 Post by Bluebris »

A wonderful guide, even for a Puppy linux newbie like me.

Thank you so much!

Actually it was easier to get Skype working on puppy than on Ubuntu (which was a nightmare with Skype) and Mint (which was easier than Ubuntu, but still harder than Puppy!).

Thanks again!

arslan79

Mic in Skype

#35 Post by arslan79 »

Hello! Could anyone here help me?

I`ve just installed Skype (2.0.0.72). Hardware: Acer aspire one 110. The same Puppy with the same Skype works on laptop HP Compaq 6720s. Also, on this netbook (acer aspire one) with Ubuntu 9.04 Skype works well enoogh. Buil-in microphone works. In Puppy`s Skype the built-im mic doesnt work, I tried to setup devices in Preferences, I tried to setup ALSA Mixer - but I cant make this MIC work ((( Please help!

arslan79

#36 Post by arslan79 »

By the way, in HardInfo there is no MIC!!! ((((((((((

What`s the problem?

yaku runa

Skype puppy

#37 Post by yaku runa »

Skype in Tuxxx's dpup works quite well with the webcam so far. I had Ubuntu and Skype running on 7.04 and had problems with mic etc. I had to manually assign the mic as the onboard mic and not the webcam mic etc. I had to go in and manually specify all of the settings such as mic, speaker etc. I manually compiled the UVC drivers for the webcam... The UVC drivers on Dpup are already compiled and work out of the box like ubuntu 8.04 would... so if you haven't already got it working then good luck.

corvan

installing skype

#38 Post by corvan »

Great guide - worked perfectly for me with puppy 4.0 (hardware: 128mb ram, 600mhz, together with usb-stick).
Now I am giving puppy 431 a try - downloaded latest skype static (2.1.0.81), but cannot install the package.
tar breaks off at the end - not sufficient memory, as it appears. (less than 1mb)
System recommends reboot. After doing this, I get error-message:
Error saving Pinboard /root/Choices/Rox-Filer/PuppyPin: No space left on device.
Well, there is still plenty of space on the stick - so what is wrong?
Or do I have to use older package - and if so, how do I get it?
Would appreciate some advice very much.
corvan.

corvan

The Return to Puppy 400

#39 Post by corvan »

I finally gave up trying to install skype in Puppy 431. So I inserted CD with Puppy 4 and pup-save via usbstick and am working with puppy 400 again. Wonder whether this means my notebook is too old for newer versions of Puppy. Is it? Or is the latest skype too big?
I remastered Puppy 400 to safe a working version with successful install of Skype (2.1.0.47) for the future - only to discover that the skypefolder was not includet in root automatically. Made a manual copy to root/skype before remastering - but I am still a bit confused, why skype would not be included the first time.
Also wonder why the remastered system now has skype, but the desktop doesn't show the proper icon, only this machine-wheel for executable files.
Any suggestions?
corvan.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: The Return to Puppy 400

#40 Post by Flash »

corvan wrote:... Wonder whether this means my notebook is too old for newer versions of Puppy. Is it? Or is the latest skype too big? ...
How would we know? You didn't tell us anything about your hardware except that it's a notebook. How much RAM does it have?

corvan

#41 Post by corvan »

Flash wrote:
How would we know? You didn't tell us anything about your hardware except that it's a notebook. How much RAM does it have?
Hi, Flash,
I've got a Fujitsu-Siemens notebook, PIII 600, 128MB ram, I am not using the harddisk (6GB full of win98-stuff) for Linux but boot from CD and save on usbstick.
Works fine, although i must say that the system freezes from time to time - cursor slows down or hangs completely. In that case a proper shutdown is not possible - I just have to switch of the PC and reboot. That is one of the reasons I wanted to try the latest Puppy-version.
Since I mainly use Puppy for serfing the internet or keep in contact with friends from abroad via skype I could live with these breakdowns. But that was one reason why i wanted to try a newer version of puppy, which I really think is fantastic otherwise - I recommend it a lot to friends.
So what can i do to improve the performance, make the system more stable or use the lattest puppy and skype? Or is it the best thing to do to stick as long as possible tosystem that is working (at least most of the time)? Or should I try an older version of Puppy, and which one?
I would appreciate some advice very much.
corvan

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#42 Post by Flash »

128 MB is barely enough RAM to boot Puppy from the live CD without a swap partition or file. I'm not surprised you're having problems. Is there any chance you can add RAM to this computer? The computer is old enough that used or surplus RAM might be cheap. 256 MB is the minimum I'd recommend for how you're using Puppy. If the computer can handle 512 MB, I'd put that much in.

corvan

#43 Post by corvan »

Flash wrote:128 MB is barely enough RAM to boot Puppy from the live CD without a swap partition or file. I'm not surprised you're having problems. Is there any chance you can add RAM to this computer?
There is only one slot which is already used by the 128 MB I have; apart from the price for a 256MB module I have no clue how to install RAM in this notebook I have. But I could make some room for a swap partition on the hdd, if that would help. It wouldn't make the pc more vulnerable with regard to viruses, would it? I mean, mounting the hdd? I guess not - I will try a swap partition as soon as I find some time to make a proper backup of the data on my c: partition first.
Thanks for your advice and suggestions.
corvan.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#44 Post by Flash »

Good luck.

If you have problems making or using a swap partition, you might get more help if you start a thread about it in the Users section rather than continuing to post here, where the people who can help with swap might not read it.

wwaiter

Fix for mic not working w/ puppy linux and laptop Lenovo s10

#45 Post by wwaiter »

Some of you with laptops that have built in mic's may experience issues with the mic not working with skype and on puppy linux. In my case, i could hear my puffing on the mic via built in speakers and while off of skype, but when on skype it was not able to pick up the sound... so I knew my mic was working.

First i've tried everything, changing the mic settings on skype, checking the Alsamixer and Zmixer, uninstalling then reinstalling, even trying different versions with no avail. Though it did not work for me, I believe you should do the same and simply check.

Then I downloaded another mixer from Puppy Package Manager called Sgmixer 0.3 and wouldn't you know it, it worked! Now people can hear me talking via skype. Just make sure that the volume bar to mic on this mixer is raised.

Also, when checking Alsamixer be sure to hit the tab button s this will allow you to see additional volume/mic settings that do not display in the initial window. Also, make sure that MM's under any of the settings, they should be set to OO. You change change the setting by hitting the M key on your keyboard.

Hope this helps....

BTW... im still not able to get skype to skype texting to work. Keep getting a triangle icon next to each msg that i sent and the recipient tells me that he/she isn't receiving the msg. Any help would be appreciated.

wwaiter

Re: Mic in Skype

#46 Post by wwaiter »

arslan79 wrote:Hello! Could anyone here help me?

I`ve just installed Skype (2.0.0.72). Hardware: Acer aspire one 110. The same Puppy with the same Skype works on laptop HP Compaq 6720s. Also, on this netbook (acer aspire one) with Ubuntu 9.04 Skype works well enoogh. Buil-in microphone works. In Puppy`s Skype the built-im mic doesnt work, I tried to setup devices in Preferences, I tried to setup ALSA Mixer - but I cant make this MIC work ((( Please help!
Some of you with laptops that have built in mic's may experience issues with the mic not working with skype and on puppy linux. In my case, i could hear my puffing on the mic via built in speakers and while off of skype, but when on skype it was not able to pick up the sound... so I knew my mic was working.

First i've tried everything, changing the mic settings on skype, checking the Alsamixer and Zmixer, uninstalling then reinstalling, even trying different versions with no avail. Though it did not work for me, I believe you should do the same and simply check.

Then I downloaded another mixer from Puppy Package Manager called Sgmixer 0.3 and wouldn't you know it, it worked! Now people can hear me talking via skype. Just make sure that the volume bar to mic on this mixer is raised.

Also, when checking Alsamixer be sure to hit the tab button s this will allow you to see additional volume/mic settings that do not display in the initial window. Also, make sure that MM's under any of the settings, they should be set to OO. You change change the setting by hitting the M key on your keyboard.

Hope this helps....

pa_mcclamrock

Re: Mic in Skype

#47 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

wwaiter wrote:I downloaded another mixer from Puppy Package Manager called Sgmixer 0.3 and wouldn't you know it, it worked! Now people can hear me talking via skype.
sGmixer worked for me when others didn't, too. In Puppy 5.0, I'm not seeing it in the Package Manager any more, but I've still got it here: http://www.pa-mcclamrock.com/sgmixer-0.3.pet.
It's stupid to use inferior software for ideological reasons.
--Linus Torvalds

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#48 Post by Flash »

Maybe there are dependency issues or some such. You should mention to Barry that sGmixer works when others don't, Maybe he'll include it.

Ron

#49 Post by Ron »

Iguleder,
I wanted to thank you for the very concise and helpful instructions. It was invaluable and worked right off.
Ron

BTW, this is for lupu 5.1.1

dionisis politis

portable skype

#50 Post by dionisis politis »

http://portablelinuxapps.org/

you can use the above page to download a portable version of skype, right cick it, open properties to make it executable (or from a terminal: chmod +x ), and that's all!
then you can put a symilink to the start application folder to have it launched after booting.
By the way all portable apps work fine with puppy, I have tried a dozen succesfully.