[HowTo] Install Skype on Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Lenny

Dont run

#61 Post by Lenny »

hi im newbie, the icon does not run, it says that just work for a regular file...
plz what im missing here?

Thanks
Lenny

OscarTalks

#62 Post by OscarTalks »

If you download Skype (for Linux) from the skype.com website it will now give you version 4 which won't work with some (especially older) Puppies.

Not sure if the older versions of Skype remain available from the website. I think they try to force people to use the latest.

In the case of older Puppies (and even the current Wary 5.3) you stand a better chance with version 2.2.0.35 which was the current one for some time until recently, but you may need to get that from this forum as a .pet or a .sfs rather than using the method described in Post 1 of this thread.
Oscar in England

666philb

#63 Post by 666philb »

hi lenny

you could try this older version of skype http://www.mediafire.com/file/76f990w6a ... 1.0.47.pet
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

chapchap70

#64 Post by chapchap70 »

Just installed version 4 on slacko 5.33 and everything worked right away with no modifications. I could never get my cameras working with Skype 2xx without doing things like installing vlc, etc.

fefifofum

fix skype and mic

#65 Post by fefifofum »

mama21mama

#66 Post by mama21mama »

RickGT351

#67 Post by RickGT351 »

I have just been to the Skype website. All the downloads for Ubuntu and Debian are now .deb files. I have tried opening them with pet-get but it won't run even though there is a menu item for Skype. There is no tar.gz file.
I have lupu5.28.005
Could we have a NRV of your instructions please?

OscarTalks

#68 Post by OscarTalks »

The .deb packages from the Skype website will also need at least Qt as a dependency. There is a .tar.gz if you select "Dynamic" but it still does not include the dependencies.

I did put together some "Install and go" Skype packages for Puppy (including one specifically for Lucid) here :-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86808

They seem to work OK so feel free to give them a try.
Oscar in England

mariojrmatos

#69 Post by mariojrmatos »

Just a little tip...

If for some reason the language option is not enable ("General" options tab) just copy the lang folder from skype_static-versionnumber to /usr/share/skype

However, if you can/are able to install the latest version of Skype you should do it (which, at this time, is the v4 branch).

jhecht

#70 Post by jhecht »

Whew! All the different options here make my head spin! I've got a Lenovo IdeaPad netbook I'm setting up for a friend. It's currently got Slacko Puppy 5.7.0 (March 2014 version) installed.

All works great, Internet works, but trying to install Skype on it is giving me a d@mn hard time! I tried the most recent URL in this thread to get Skype. It installed, but when I try to use it, I get the error message "Skype can't connect." This is true for two different Skype accounts. What am I doing wrong?

And of the myriad options in this thread, which one should I choose for an install process with minimum agita?

Thanks in advance for your help! Woof!
John Hechtman / www.zenarrow.com / jhecht@ix.netcom.com
"Computer help in NYC" / 917 628 0192 - cell / 212 586 4633 - landline

greengeek

#71 Post by greengeek »

jhecht wrote: I get the error message "Skype can't connect." This is true for two different Skype accounts. What am I doing wrong?
Skype no longer allows login from old versions. Login must be performed with Skype 4.3

Unfortunately skype 4.3 also requires pulseaudio instead of alsa (which is the standard in puppy). Some puppians have managed to get skype 4.3 running with forms of pulseaudio. There is an alternative however - you can take the easy route and stick with alsa by using a technique developed by saintless, watchdog and others - it involves signing in with skype 4.3 (which is the pulseaudio version) then stopping it and starting skype 4.2 (which is the alsa version).

As long as you don't sign out of skype between running 4.3 and 4.2 this works fine. (just quit 4.3 rather than logging off)

I made a "combo" pet (suitable for slacko) which installs the necessary files and automates this process to make it easy. You simply start 'skypelogin' from the internet menu, put in your login details (and tick the "keep me logged into skype" checkbox), then wait for the automatic script to close 4.3 and open 4.2 for you.

You will see your contacts appear and you can use skype as normal. There are other ways but this is the way I find simplest. My combo pet post is here

jhecht

#72 Post by jhecht »

greengeek wrote:Unfortunately skype 4.3 also requires pulseaudio instead of alsa (which is the standard in puppy). Some puppians have managed to get skype 4.3 running with forms of pulseaudio.

I don't mind installing two packages - simple enough.
greengeek wrote:There is an alternative however - you can take the easy route and stick with alsa by using a technique developed by saintless, watchdog and others - it involves signing in with skype 4.3 (which is the pulseaudio version) then stopping it and starting skype 4.2 (which is the alsa version).

As long as you don't sign out of skype between running 4.3 and 4.2 this works fine. (just quit 4.3 rather than logging off)
Hmm - I'm setting this netbook up for a bright but non-technical user, and want it to be as bulletproof as possible. Should I go the route of installing PulseAudio? I don't mind extra setup work. If done right, I only have to do it once.
greengeek wrote:I made a "combo" pet (suitable for slacko) which installs the necessary files and automates this process to make it easy. You simply start 'skypelogin' from the internet menu, put in your login details (and tick the "keep me logged into skype" checkbox), then wait for the automatic script to close 4.3 and open 4.2 for you.
I installed your "combo" Pet, and it did, in fact, install Skype. The prompt across the grey bar at the top says "Skype 4.2 for Linux" when it runs. However, I still get the "Skype can't connect" error message when I try and log in - this is true even with my main Skype account, on which I changed my password to verify it (sigh).
greengeek wrote:You will see your contacts appear and you can use skype as normal. There are other ways but this is the way I find simplest. My combo pet post is here
That's the URL I downloaded from, with the (non-functional) results described above. Thanks for your help so far, but I fear I need a little more. Any suggestions?

watchdog

#73 Post by watchdog »

@jhecht

Give a look at OscarTalks rep:

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/

Look for a suitable pet or sfs of skype 4.3 using apulse. Aternatively my package should work in slacko 5.7:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 291#800291

You should control to have SSE2 flag enabled in cpuinfo:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 788#796788

greengeek

#74 Post by greengeek »

jhecht wrote:I installed your "combo" Pet, and it did, in fact, install Skype. The prompt across the grey bar at the top says "Skype 4.2 for Linux" when it runs. However, I still get the "Skype can't connect" error message when I try and log in. Any suggestions?
Hi, two questions:
- Did you select 'skypelogin" in the internet menu? (Don't choose "skype" - that only runs the 4.2 version without the 4.3 login)
- Did you tick the tiny "Sign me in when skype starts" checkbox as shown in this pic?

I haven't used the apulse / pulseaudio variants so I don't know how they compare. I just decided to stick with the Alsa variant.

Hope it works, whichever way you decide to go.

jhecht

#75 Post by jhecht »

greengeek wrote: - Did you select 'skypelogin" in the internet menu? (Don't choose "skype" - that only runs the 4.2 version without the 4.3 login)
- Did you tick the tiny "Sign me in when skype starts" checkbox as shown in this pic?
...select = yes
...tick = yes

What else should I try? Thanks!

greengeek

#76 Post by greengeek »

Try the following:
Use a terminal to enter the command:
killall skype
Then go to the /root directory and click the "eye" icon to reveal hidden files. Locate and remove the /.Skype directory. Then start the skypelogin programme again and try login.

Do you see the skype43 appear for the login phase, then disappear after 45 seconds to be replaced by skype 42?

greengeek

#77 Post by greengeek »

I have modified my combo pet and tested it on Slacko 5.7.0 (PAE) successfully. It will delete the hidden directory /root/.Skype before it starts to login - so this gets rid of any expired credentials or incompatibilities from prior sessions.

Details and download link here

This is only for those who want to stick with Alsa sound interface rather than getting pulseaudio or apulse running. I understand that OscarTalks Skype 4.3 automatically loads pulseaudio when required so that is another option (I haven't tried it though...)

jhecht

#78 Post by jhecht »

Skype is still giving me a hard time - for ease of reference, I'll post my hard/soft setup here, and then get down on my cyber-knees to beg for yet more help. (grin)

Computer = Lenovo Ideapad netbook / Atom 1.60 Ghz CPU / 2 GB of ram / logged in typical Puppy style as 'root.'
Puppy version = Slacko 5.7.0

Ran "cat /proc/cpuinfo" in terminal, as post here advised that to see output flag lines SSE/SSE2.
Saintless and I have (I think) the same result. Neither a SSE nor a SSE2 line is displayed in the terminal window. In URXVT, I see >only< the following lines:

cache size :512 KB
physical id :0
siblings :2
core id :0
cpu cores :1
apicid :1
initial apcid :1
fdiv_bug :no
coma_bug :no
fpu: yes
fpu_exception :yes
cpuid level :10
wp :yes
flags = there are a gazillion flag entries - is this info needed? SSE/SSE 2 is/are not among the flags shown
bogomips :3193.95
clflushsize :64
cache_alignment :64
address_sizes :32 bits physical / 32 bits virtual
power management = no entry here

Stoyched wrote: "If you don't see the SSE2 (only SSE) you are out of luck!!!

As I don't see either, am I doubly out of luck? Is there no way to get >any< version of Skype to work on this computer with Slacko 5.7.0? Or, am I better off using a different version of Puppy for Skype compatibility? I like Slacko 5.7.0, but I'm not wedded to it.

I also tried to d/l greengeek's latest Pet (posted today - 15Jan2015 @ 3:02 pm). Package name = 'skypecomboslacko56_gg-1.5.pet'. It >seemed< to install, but when I open Skype in Puppy, it is still version 4.2.

Perhaps I should purge all traces of Skype from the computer and start over? Is that a good test? Can I do so by dragging all Skype-stuff to the trash? Skype does >not< show up in 'Puppy Package Manager' for some unknown reason. What is the most effective way for me to uninstall/delete all installed versions of Skype?

Thanks to all for your help - but why is this particular program such a b@ll breaker?!?!

smokey01

#79 Post by smokey01 »

jhecht, try deleting all traces of Skype from your current system including the /root/.Skype directory.

Then try this version of Skype.
http://www.smokey01.com/OscarTalks/skyp ... ko14.0.sfs

greengeek

#80 Post by greengeek »

jhecht wrote:I also tried to d/l greengeek's latest Pet (posted today - 15Jan2015 @ 3:02 pm). Package name = 'skypecomboslacko56_gg-1.5.pet'. It >seemed< to install, but when I open Skype in Puppy, it is still version 4.2.
Hi John, uninstall any skype pets you have installed, and install my version 1.6 combo pet referred to in the post immediately above yours. It has been tested on Slacko 5.7.0 and has been modified to stop all currently running skype sessions and to automatically remove the old /root/.Skype directory. (Be sure to run only the "skypelogin" programme).

This should definitely work for you, or else i'll eat my hat.

If you still have problems after installing the new pet then that would suggest that you have some funny business going on in your savefile (if using frugal) - in which case just hide that savefile so that you can boot into an unadulterated session, then reload the pet and try again.