[HowTo] Install Skype on Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
greengeek

#76 Post by greengeek »

Try the following:
Use a terminal to enter the command:
killall skype
Then go to the /root directory and click the "eye" icon to reveal hidden files. Locate and remove the /.Skype directory. Then start the skypelogin programme again and try login.

Do you see the skype43 appear for the login phase, then disappear after 45 seconds to be replaced by skype 42?

greengeek

#77 Post by greengeek »

I have modified my combo pet and tested it on Slacko 5.7.0 (PAE) successfully. It will delete the hidden directory /root/.Skype before it starts to login - so this gets rid of any expired credentials or incompatibilities from prior sessions.

Details and download link here

This is only for those who want to stick with Alsa sound interface rather than getting pulseaudio or apulse running. I understand that OscarTalks Skype 4.3 automatically loads pulseaudio when required so that is another option (I haven't tried it though...)

jhecht

#78 Post by jhecht »

Skype is still giving me a hard time - for ease of reference, I'll post my hard/soft setup here, and then get down on my cyber-knees to beg for yet more help. (grin)

Computer = Lenovo Ideapad netbook / Atom 1.60 Ghz CPU / 2 GB of ram / logged in typical Puppy style as 'root.'
Puppy version = Slacko 5.7.0

Ran "cat /proc/cpuinfo" in terminal, as post here advised that to see output flag lines SSE/SSE2.
Saintless and I have (I think) the same result. Neither a SSE nor a SSE2 line is displayed in the terminal window. In URXVT, I see >only< the following lines:

cache size :512 KB
physical id :0
siblings :2
core id :0
cpu cores :1
apicid :1
initial apcid :1
fdiv_bug :no
coma_bug :no
fpu: yes
fpu_exception :yes
cpuid level :10
wp :yes
flags = there are a gazillion flag entries - is this info needed? SSE/SSE 2 is/are not among the flags shown
bogomips :3193.95
clflushsize :64
cache_alignment :64
address_sizes :32 bits physical / 32 bits virtual
power management = no entry here

Stoyched wrote: "If you don't see the SSE2 (only SSE) you are out of luck!!!

As I don't see either, am I doubly out of luck? Is there no way to get >any< version of Skype to work on this computer with Slacko 5.7.0? Or, am I better off using a different version of Puppy for Skype compatibility? I like Slacko 5.7.0, but I'm not wedded to it.

I also tried to d/l greengeek's latest Pet (posted today - 15Jan2015 @ 3:02 pm). Package name = 'skypecomboslacko56_gg-1.5.pet'. It >seemed< to install, but when I open Skype in Puppy, it is still version 4.2.

Perhaps I should purge all traces of Skype from the computer and start over? Is that a good test? Can I do so by dragging all Skype-stuff to the trash? Skype does >not< show up in 'Puppy Package Manager' for some unknown reason. What is the most effective way for me to uninstall/delete all installed versions of Skype?

Thanks to all for your help - but why is this particular program such a b@ll breaker?!?!
John Hechtman / www.zenarrow.com / jhecht@ix.netcom.com
"Computer help in NYC" / 917 628 0192 - cell / 212 586 4633 - landline

smokey01

#79 Post by smokey01 »

jhecht, try deleting all traces of Skype from your current system including the /root/.Skype directory.

Then try this version of Skype.
http://www.smokey01.com/OscarTalks/skyp ... ko14.0.sfs

greengeek

#80 Post by greengeek »

jhecht wrote:I also tried to d/l greengeek's latest Pet (posted today - 15Jan2015 @ 3:02 pm). Package name = 'skypecomboslacko56_gg-1.5.pet'. It >seemed< to install, but when I open Skype in Puppy, it is still version 4.2.
Hi John, uninstall any skype pets you have installed, and install my version 1.6 combo pet referred to in the post immediately above yours. It has been tested on Slacko 5.7.0 and has been modified to stop all currently running skype sessions and to automatically remove the old /root/.Skype directory. (Be sure to run only the "skypelogin" programme).

This should definitely work for you, or else i'll eat my hat.

If you still have problems after installing the new pet then that would suggest that you have some funny business going on in your savefile (if using frugal) - in which case just hide that savefile so that you can boot into an unadulterated session, then reload the pet and try again.

jhecht

#81 Post by jhecht »

greengeek wrote:Hi John, uninstall any skype pets you have installed, and install my version 1.6 combo pet referred to in the post immediately above yours. It has been tested on Slacko 5.7.0 and has been modified to stop all currently running skype sessions and to automatically remove the old /root/.Skype directory. (Be sure to run only the "skypelogin" programme).

This should definitely work for you, or else i'll eat my hat.

If you still have problems after installing the new pet then that would suggest that you have some funny business going on in your savefile (if using frugal) - in which case just hide that savefile so that you can boot into an unadulterated session, then reload the pet and try again.
Not using a frugal install - it's a full install. And given the lack of Skype entries in Puppy Package Manager, can I just drag all Skype-sh!t to the trash and flush twice to uninstall? (grin)

Thanks for your help!

greengeek

#82 Post by greengeek »

Yes, flush 3 times :D

...and if your PC definitely doesn't have SSE2, flush it too.....
:twisted:

smokey01

#83 Post by smokey01 »

John for a full install try this one:
http://www.smokey01.com/OscarTalks/skyp ... ko14.0.pet

Full installs are good but there are advantages in frugal installs. Using a save file can be restrictive so doing a frugal install with a directory save is a very good compromise. This way you can use SFS files which are very tidy.

Cheers

jhecht

#84 Post by jhecht »

greengeek wrote:Try the following:
Use a terminal to enter the command:
killall skype
Then go to the /root directory and click the "eye" icon to reveal hidden files. Locate and remove the /.Skype directory. Then start the skypelogin programme again and try login.
Did all that - still the same result - Skype 4.2 loads, but I can't login. This is looking in the hard drive itself - sda1. FWIW, when I click on the all-seeing eye, (/mnt/home (all), I see a .Skype directory, not a /.Skype directory. That's the one I deleted. It seems to be recreated when Skype loads if I delete it.
greengeek wrote:Do you see the skype43 appear for the login phase, then disappear after 45 seconds to be replaced by skype 42?
After deleting the .Skype directory, when I click on skypelogin, I don't get a 4.3 screen first, I get only a Skype 4.2 login screen - but it doesn't work. I can't log in.

jhecht

#85 Post by jhecht »

greengeek wrote:...and if your PC definitely doesn't have SSE2, flush it too.....
:twisted:
Are you saying I can't get this computer to run Skype with Puppy? See my earlier post in this thread for what "cat proc/cpuinfo" showed me.

greengeek

#86 Post by greengeek »

Yeah, sounds like the lack of SSE2 is the end for you. Skype 4.2 runs without SSE2 but is not allowed to log in to the Skype server. Skype 4.3 is allowed to log in to the server but wont run without SSE2.

Try opening a terminal and typing:
skypelogin

any error messages?

EDIT : Please also try typing the following in a terminal:
/usr/share/skype/skype43

any error messages?

jhecht

#87 Post by jhecht »

smokey01 wrote:John for a full install try this one:
Did that - same problem. "Skype can't connect." I have Team Viewer on this Puppy install, and it >does< work. I'm broke - but I'll pay $15 via Paypal if someone can remote in and get this working for me. It's worth a lot more, but work is >very< scarce, and because of that, so is money...

greengeek

#88 Post by greengeek »

jhecht wrote:
smokey01 wrote:John for a full install try this one:
Did that - same problem. "Skype can't connect."
Seems odd that you get that message with version 4.3

I can understand it when 4.2 tries to connect, but not 4.3

After you loaded that 4.3 pet did the Skype login screen show version 4.3 in the title bar? And make sure you delete the following directory first:
/root/.Skype
(This is a hidden directory, only visible after clicking the "eye" icon on the top line)

jhecht

#89 Post by jhecht »

greengeek wrote:Yeah, sounds like the lack of SSE2 is the end for you. Skype 4.2 runs without SSE2 but is not allowed to log in to the Skype server. Skype 4.3 is allowed to log in to the server but wont run without SSE2.

Try opening a terminal and typing:
skypelogin

any error messages?
No errors - Skype opens a login screen - but it doesn't work. Close the Skype login, and the terminal shows:

#skype-login
killall: skype43: no process killed
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).
E: [pulseaudio] main c: Daemon startup failed.
greengeek wrote:EDIT : Please also try typing the following in a terminal:
/usr/share/skype/skype43

any error messages?
Tried that too - got the same "Skype can't connect" on the Skype screen.

Am I just plain hosed - or what?

greengeek

#90 Post by greengeek »

I see two main possibilities:

1) If your processor has no SSE2 then Skyping is off the menu for you. Can you find a model number on your Ideapad?

2) From your comments earlier I get the feeling that you may have remnants of multiple skype installs and this may be upsetting things. Do you have access to an ecternal CD drive for this netbook? If so it would make it very easy to load a "live session" of Slacko 5.7..0 which is unadulterated. If you can boot in this manner, then try whichever pet you prefer, the results of that trial should be conclusive one way or the other.

Otherwise, without a CD drive I think you may have to make a new install (maybe even on usb) so that you are starting fresh. May not get any better results, but it's the only way to be sure if you have got contaminated files or configs.

anikin

#91 Post by anikin »

Run this in the terminal to check to see if sse2 is there:

Code: Select all

grep --color=always -iw sse2 /proc/cpuinfo

jhecht

#92 Post by jhecht »

greengeek wrote:I see two main possibilities:

1) If your processor has no SSE2 then Skyping is off the menu for you. Can you find a model number on your Ideapad?
No SSE2 (or SSE) was listed when I ran the hardinfo proggie. Is there another way to check?
greengeek wrote:2) From your comments earlier I get the feeling that you may have remnants of multiple skype installs and this may be upsetting things. Do you have access to an ecternal CD drive for this netbook? If so it would make it very easy to load a "live session" of Slacko 5.7..0 which is unadulterated. If you can boot in this manner, then try whichever pet you prefer, the results of that trial should be conclusive one way or the other.
I have an external USB CD drive. That's how I loaded Slacko 5.7.0 in the first place. I'll try that test and let you know the results. Thanks!

But, but - before I do that, is there no way to purge all Skype elements from the computer? Can't I just make hidden folders visible with the magic eye, and flush all Skype-thingies?

bigpup

#93 Post by bigpup »

But, but - before I do that, is there no way to purge all Skype elements from the computer? Can't I just make hidden folders visible with the magic eye, and flush all Skype-thingies?
If you installed Skype using a pet of it.
The install should be listed in the uninstall list in PPM (Puppy package manager)
Remove it using PPM should get everything removed.

You can do a search in Pfind for Skype.
That should bring up a list of everything Skype.
In Pfind you can right click on any listed item and get a menu with option to delete.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

greengeek

#94 Post by greengeek »

jhecht wrote:No SSE2 (or SSE) was listed when I ran the hardinfo proggie. Is there another way to check?
Try anikins command shown in the post above yours - very nifty - it displays all the flags and highlights the sse2 string if it's there.
I have an external USB CD drive. That's how I loaded Slacko 5.7.0 in the first place. I'll try that test and let you know the results.
Remember to enter the following command at the boot prompt:
puppy pfix=ram
Just to ensure it stays a pristine boot
Got me there - I just don't know. If your install was a frugal one it would be easy to hide the savefile (and all it's internal changes and add-ons) but I just don't know the best way to flush a full install. I'd be concerned that it would be easy to miss just one small file and beggar everything up.

I reckon anikins test is the starting point (or ending point depending on your results...) followed by the CD boot if you think your cpu has the sse2.

greengeek

#95 Post by greengeek »

ps: a lot of the files used by skype have names that dont look anything like "skype" so there would still be the risk of missing something...

EDIT : Here is a sprinkling of what Windows users think of the SSE2 requirement:
http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-d ... -p/3587375

Not just Linux affected by this.