Roxset (Improved)

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
seaside

#46 Post by seaside »

Sylvander,

If you prefer, you can make the message stay until clicked by changing the code in Roxset as follows:

At the end of the Roxset script you'll find this line -

Code: Select all

yaf-splash -timeout 10 -font..........
remove "-timeout 10" so that it looks like this -

yaf-splash  -font........
It will now stay on the screen until clicked.

Hope the new screen size basis is better for you now and have you seen the Whaw - Window Tiling Daemon here -
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46080

Sylvander

#47 Post by Sylvander »

Got Whaw installed and it's pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it.

But I'd still much rather have the two Rox windows open tiled instead of having to do it each time.
Perhaps one day. :)

Changed [the appropriate part of] the roxset script to:

yaf-splash -font "8x16" -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg green -text "To keep two FIXED panes, right-click empty space in either pane
select- Options > Filer windows > Never automatically resize.
Click on this info window to close it."

Sylvander

#48 Post by Sylvander »

How do I get the whaw -d command to auto-run at EACH startup of BoxPup?

seaside

#49 Post by seaside »

Sylvander wrote:How do I get the whaw -d command to auto-run at EACH startup of BoxPup?
Sylvander,

Create a file that looks like this

#!/bin/bash 
killall whaw || whaw -d
Name the file "whaw-start-stop" and drag this file to ~/Startup, make sure it's executable by right-clicking the file and choosing Properties > and x the first line "Exec" box under Permisions.

This will run Whaw at startup and if you put this file on the desktop, and click it while Whaw is already running, it will turn it off. Click it again and it'll turn it back on.

Have fun. :D

Sylvander

#50 Post by Sylvander »

1. With the exception of putting whaw on the desktop...
Everything is done, and whaw is auto-running at Startup, and functioning well.

2. "put this file on the desktop"
How is that done?
Isn't it best/easiest to put a symlink on the desktop, and how?
Is there a folder that represents the desktop?
Do I put a symlink there?

seaside

#51 Post by seaside »

Sylvander wrote: "put this file on the desktop"
How is that done?
...Just drag the file to an open area on your desktop and release.

Right-click and assign an icon.

Cook until medium-rare. :D

Sylvander

#52 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Cook until medium-rare"
Nice one! :D

2. Don't need to do any of this since whaw has been updated to put "Start/Stop Whaw Window Tiling Demon" in the "Desktop" sub-menu.

01micko

#53 Post by 01micko »

Hi seaside

Roxset is a cool little app. It is to be included in dpup because the wbar setup/configuration gui I'm making for dpup is dependant on xdotool with some clues from the roxset script for opening a window in the right place so a user doesn't have to drag around windows and stuff to do a simple drag and drop onto the gui interface.

Thanks

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

seaside

#54 Post by seaside »

01micko,

That's great. It's fortunate that I found Xdotool because for some programs, there is no easy way to control their functions directly.

Xdotool can not only find a target window, but move, resize, and send key strokes and mouse clicks to that running program so as to act as a user programmatically.

Keep up that good stuff on Dpup!

Regards,
s

bigpup

#55 Post by bigpup »

Using Roxset in Xenialpup64 7.5

It opens two Rox windows, but they are not side by side.
(The directories, placement and windows sizes, can also be altered by changing the roxset script at /usr/local/bin to other preferences, depending on screen size or other preferred opening directories.)

What in the code controls this?
What do you change and to what?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

#56 Post by mikeslr »

Hi bigpup,

Ignoring matters relating to GUIs, Roxset consists of, at /usr/local/bin, a bash-script and an included binary of xdotool. IIRC, xdotool, if nothing else, enables placing the mouse-cursor at determined locations via a bash-script formula. That is my guess as to what the script is doing --guess because it is using bash commands 'above my pay-grade'. But what I think it is doing is determining the geography of the desktop, then issuing commands to one "Window 1" of specified size with its top-left at pixel x,y and "Window 2" of specified size but at pixel x1,y1.

I doubt there has been any significant change to the language used in bash since 2009 when Roxset was written. My best guess is that what you've experienced results from either (a) the 2009 xdotool is not entirely compatible with your OS; (b) it is a 32-bit binary being used in a 64-bit system; or (c) both.

See what happens if you replace the xdotool binary with one obtained via PPM.

mikesLr

bigpup

#57 Post by bigpup »

See what happens if you replace the xdotool binary with one obtained via PPM.

Good guess :D

That fixed it.
Installed the xdotool from PPM.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

greengeek

Re: Roxset with two windows based on SCREEN SIZE

#58 Post by greengeek »

seaside wrote: If you prefer the two panes to stay in place and not move, a brief message will come up reminding you to right-click on any blank part of either pane and select- Options > Filer windows > Never automatically resize.
I did not see this message at all. Took me a while to re-read the thread to understand how to prevent the auto resizing. With auto resizing set to on the roxset utility is not usable for me - "auto resize off" is a necessity and I agree with sylvander that it would be good to improve this part of the script.

Nice utility though - automatic two pane rox is a great innovation.

EDIT : this seems to be the reason why I don't see the message:

# yaf-splash -timeout 10 -font "8x16" -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg green -text "To keep two FIXED panes, right-click empty space in either pane
> select- Options > Filer windows > Never automatically resize"
/usr/bin/yaf-splash: line 261: arithmetic syntax error
# 
Last edited by greengeek on Thu 10 May 2018, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#59 Post by greengeek »

seaside wrote:With that in mind, just changing the Rox Options file to "filer_auto_resize">2 at the beginning of the Roxset script would achieve this, but place Rox in "No-autosize" mode.
(The next time Rox is run it won't Autosize, unless the Options part of Rox is reset)

This wouldn't be of much concern to me - I'd just change the option back if I wanted to, but perhaps this might confuse others.
I definitely would like to do this. Any suggestions about the appropriate way to achieve this please?

EDIT: where does RoxFiler store the changes you make? As an alternative to turning autoresize off I tried using the Rox options gui to limit the max window size to 45% of window width but can't see where the setting is stored.

EDIT 2: Ignore the question - I found it at /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options.xml
rather than /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/Options.xml which is what I was looking at. :roll:

I definitely would like to learn how to SOAP that setting.

MochiMoppel

Re: Roxset with two windows based on SCREEN SIZE

#60 Post by MochiMoppel »

greengeek wrote:EDIT : this seems to be the reason why I don't see the message:

# yaf-splash -timeout 10 -font "8x16" -outline 0 -margin 4 -bg green -text "To keep two FIXED panes, right-click empty space in either pane
> select- Options > Filer windows > Never automatically resize"
/usr/bin/yaf-splash: line 261: arithmetic syntax error
# 
This is a bug in yaf-splash.
The line

[ $NR_LINES -gt 1 ] && HEIGHT=$(($HEIGHT+$fontsize))
produces the error because
- the text is longer than 1 line
- variable fontsize is empty
- for some sinister reasons yaf-splash uses the ash shell and not bash. ash produces a critical error when you try to add a value of "nothing" to the value of HEIGHT (50). Bash would also send an error message but would let yaf-splash continue.

Solution for the user: Avoid the -font option or use proper -font syntax. No sure if "8x16" is correct.

greengeek

#61 Post by greengeek »

greengeek wrote:I definitely would like to learn how to SOAP that setting.
Ignoring SOAP - I found I can turn off the auto resize by adding a pinstall.sh as follows:

#!/bin/sh
sed -i 's/<Option name="filer_auto_resize">1/<Option name="filer_auto_resize">0/g' /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options
fixmenus
Seemed to work.

However - i also wanted to change the maximum Filer window size from the standard 75 (% of window width I think) to 49%.

I tried changing the setting in /root/.config/rox-sourceforge-net/ROX-Filer/Options but it had no effect unless I restarted the X server. Is there a better way than restart-X to force ROX-Filer to recheck it's config file?