Pdfshuffler .sfs - Edit pdfs :) fantastic!

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
disciple

Pdfshuffler .sfs - Edit pdfs :) fantastic!

#1 Post by disciple »

As documented at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45219
It lets you combine pdfs, rearrange, delete, rotate and crop pages. I'm pretty sure this is way faster than pdfedit (although I've only got pdfedit in Cygwin, not puppy) and it's certainly a much better interface if you're doing document assembly type stuff.

If you have a Puppy frugal install or live CD, put it at the top level of the drive where your save file (.2fs) is, then run "Menu-setup-wizard wizard-configure startup of puppy" and tell it to load this .sfs at boot.
If you have a full install I recommend extracting it to /, as you can't union an .sfs currently, and python isn't easy to run from /mnt/somewhere.

Get it from http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/disciple/pdfshuffler.sfs
If you have Puppy 4.3 or newer you will need to convert it to SquashFS version 4 - there is a converter in the Utility menu.

Unless your puppy has an updated poppler and glib, you will also need to install these. I didn't think it was wise to add them to the .sfs.
I think they have been updated in Puppy versions 4.3.x.

The .sfs includes python, pygtk, pyglib, pypoppler, pypdf, pycairo, and libxcb. I stripped all the python documentation out, which is how it can be so small :)

---EDIT---
:oops: Darn :oops:
Sorry everyone. I accidentally linked to the wrong poppler upgrade. Fixed now.

---EDIT---
A new version of Pdfshuffler is out.
Install everything as explained above, then install the .pet below (it is only 23kb).
Attachments
Pdfshuffler-0.5.0.pet
(22.78 KiB) Downloaded 2556 times
Last edited by disciple on Sat 30 Jan 2010, 23:51, edited 3 times in total.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Kenny-M

#2 Post by Kenny-M »

Refresh my memory. Which version of Puppy will this work on?

4.2 , 4.2.1 , 4.3 , 4.7.6

There are just too many versions and you never know what is for what!

Thanks.

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

I'm using 4.1.1, but I'm guessing it will work with Puppies well back into the 2.x series as it requires those glib and poppler updates anyway.

I believe the current testing builds and "2.18" already have updated glib and poppler, and I know some puplets have an updated glib, so if you are using something a non-standard puppy like this you might like to try it first without installing the glib and poppler packages, and tell us whether you needed them or not.

If you have a puppy with a 2.6.30 kernel you'll need to convert it to the new squashfs format :(

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Kenny-M

#4 Post by Kenny-M »

disciple,

Thanks. Not your fault be it seems to me with this Linux stuff you can never seem to get to a point where your not updating, upgrading or re-installing it.

BarryK had made an ISO for me that had SCSI enabled at boot time. That was 2.6.25.16 4.3 Beta1. But that had issues with segmentation faults for certain programs. Now we have moved beyond that and SCSI is not enabled again. And that was just a couple of weeks ago.

Sometimes it seems to me this is more a hobby thing that never ends. That's OK I guess if your target is having fun. And, that's OK but this isn't in my opinion production quality. The bugs never really get fixed and we move on to the next version with it's own new bugs...

I'll get off my soapbox now and thank you for your efforts!

I remember when...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9479603@N0 ... 479572582/

puppyite

Re: Pdfshuffler .sfs - Edit pdfs :) fantastic!

#5 Post by puppyite »

disciple wrote:If you have a Puppy frugal install or live CD, put it at the top level of the drive where your save file (.2fs) is, then run "Menu-setup-wizard wizard-configure startup of puppy" and tell it to load this .sfs at boot.
Or do what I did and right click the file in ROX-Filer then choose Mount and Use With load_sfs. I tried it this way and your way too. I’m using Puppy 4.2.1 with frugal install. The first time I clicked the app in the menu nothing happened. Then I opened the CLI and tried to start it there and an error told me that libpoppler-glib.so.4 was missing. I saw the links to the pet files in your post for the required files but since I don’t have any pressing need for a PDF editor I didn’t download or install the updates. I’m glad I tried your sfs though, now I know what they're for and I know two ways to use them. Thanks!

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

Or do what I did and right click the file in ROX-Filer then choose Mount and Use With load_sfs.
Ah - I haven't seen that. It must be a new feature in Puppy 4.2.x.
Sometimes it seems to me this is more a hobby thing that never ends.
Most people don't have a pressing need to update all the time... you're kind of a special case because of the unusual SCSI requirements.
And, that's OK but this isn't in my opinion production quality.
Well, since you're using beta releases you shouldn't expect production quality.
The bugs never really get fixed and we move on to the next version with it's own new bugs...
It has been kind of like that since Puppy 3. Two of the three long-running bugs I've noticed have only just been fixed in the current release cycle... don't know about the issue with CUPS-pdf creating pdfs with too high a security level :)

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

davids45

#7 Post by davids45 »

G'day disciple,

Like puppyite, I have tried your pdfshuffler as an sfs and got the missing libpoppler-glib.so.4 problem. I turned the sfs into a pet and ran this in some full installs but again nothing happened because of this missing "so.4" lib.

But I would like to see if the shuffler is as good as Cutepdf (in XP) for creating small pdf files from just about anything.

I see in the libs you listed above as required, and I have subsequently downloaded, that these all reference to or contain xxxx.so.2 type files - nothing I could see with a "so.4" extension.

Is there a symlink I can set up to use an existing file as the missing libpoppler-glib.so.4?

It's probably a good idea now with sfs packages to mention it's a version 3.1 sfs, so pdfshuffler.sfs wont work with the latest kernels that need the sfs4 type, until it's converted.

David S.

disciple

#8 Post by disciple »

:oops: Darn :oops:
Sorry everyone. I accidentally linked to the wrong poppler upgrade. The right one is a couple of posts further down in the same thread.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=17887

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#9 Post by disciple »

Thanks for picking that up.
But I would like to see if the shuffler is as good as Cutepdf (in XP) for creating small pdf files from just about anything.
It doesn't creat pdfs from anything other than pdf, and I think it doesn't do much in terms of reencoding the pages or anything - presumably it just delinearises them if they are linearised.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

sullysat

Re: Pdfshuffler .sfs - Edit pdfs :) fantastic!

#10 Post by sullysat »

disciple wrote: Unless your puppy has an updated poppler and glib, you will also need to install these. I didn't think it was wise to add them to the .sfs
The link given for the glib update above does not exist. Anyone know of another location for it?

davids45

#11 Post by davids45 »

G'day disciple,

Thanks for the feedback on what pdfshuffler does, in response to my thought to compare it to Windows' Cutepdf writer.
Checking on other Puppy pdf options, I have just been able to add the CUPS-pdf printer to Puppy 421 and it looks pretty good as a Cutepdf writer alternative in giving reasonably sized pdfs (=small, not Adobe giants).

So the shuffler looks the tool to join up existing pdfs, rather than as I do at present, having to go back to the original documents and merge those together in a new document file and then pdf the merged file?

It would be nice to find something that can truly edit a pdf file, that is, open it up and add/remove stuff without great difficulty. Although that may be against the notion of what a pdf file is supposed to be.

David S.

disciple

#12 Post by disciple »

The link given for the glib update above does not exist. Anyone know of another location for it?
It does exist, I just checked. Sorry - I didn't notice it was on one of the servers that requires the username "puppy" and password "linux". Was that the problem? Otherwise I imagine it will be on puppylinux.ca also, although it may also require the password.
I have just been able to add the CUPS-pdf printer to Puppy 421
Was it not already installed by default? What have they done to 4.21? :)
Be careful - for some reason for me it generates pdfs with too high a security level - can't copy text or something like that.
So the shuffler looks the tool to join up existing pdfs, rather than as I do at present, having to go back to the original documents and merge those together in a new document file and then pdf the merged file?
That's right, although if literally joining pdfs is all you want to do you might as well just use the bash script (joinPdf) I wrote a while back, that uses gtkdialog and ghostscript.
It would be nice to find something that can truly edit a pdf file, that is, open it up and add/remove stuff without great difficulty. Although that may be against the notion of what a pdf file is supposed to be.
Depending on what you want to add, Pdfedit does that. It is still a little buggy - it tends to not like weirdly built pdfs.

EDIT:
Since I mentioned my own joinPdf, here is the link
Last edited by disciple on Mon 29 Oct 2018, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

sullysat

#13 Post by sullysat »

disciple wrote:
It does exist, I just checked. Sorry - I didn't notice it was on one of the servers that requires the username "puppy" and password "linux". Was that the problem? Otherwise I imagine it will be on puppylinux.ca also, although it may also require the password.
Sorry disciple,

<SNIP&EDIT> For some reason, Seamonkey in 4.2.1 gives an authentication error rather than allowing me to input the login credentials. Guess I'll have to load a different browser after all. GRRR

My bad.

Sully

puppyite

#14 Post by puppyite »

davids45 wrote:It would be nice to find something that can truly edit a pdf file, that is, open it up and add/remove stuff without great difficulty.
This might be what you're looking for: PDFEdit.
Last edited by puppyite on Fri 25 Sep 2009, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

#15 Post by disciple »

Like I've said before, I strongly recommend using the latest version of pdfedit, or preferably cvs, due to the number of bugfixes (and some new features too). I can't emphasize this enough.
Also, don't expect it to really compare with Adobe :(

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

puppyite

#16 Post by puppyite »

disciple wrote:Like I've said before, I strongly recommend using the latest version of pdfedit, or preferably cvs, due to the number of bugfixes (and some new features too). I can't emphasize this enough.
I'm wondering, since you so strongly recommend using the latest version of PDFEdit *and* assuming you wish to be helpful to the audience then why didn't you give a link to the latest version (that you so strongly recommended)?
Also, don't expect it to really compare with Adobe :(
Since Adobe cost hundreds of dollars and PDFEdit costs nothing I doubt that anyone will complain but YMMV and it obviously does.

Disclaimer: I gave the link to PDFEdit in order to assist davids45. If there is a newer version of PDFEdit I have no information about it nor have I ever used any version of it. I offered the link only as an assist.

disciple

#17 Post by disciple »

I don't have pdfedit running in Puppy. I've been running from cvs in cygwin all year and reporting bugs. A lot of them were essentially just different variations of pdf that pdfedit couldn't handle. Pdf is a truly weird and wonderful format :)
I'm not game enough to try Boost and everything to build in Puppy again, but if someone seriousely want's to use it in Puppy they may be.
Or it would be worth trying a package of 0.4.3 from another distro - Debian has a couple http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/sear ... ds=pdfedit
I don't think there have been too many important fixes since 0.4.3
Since Adobe cost hundreds of dollars and PDFEdit costs nothing I doubt that anyone will complain
Yes :)
Just as long as people don't spend huge amounts of time getting it running, and then get disappointed. The thing is that a lot of open source applications are better than the alternatives, so people could get used to it :)

BTW if anyone's interested, I found another, vala based alternative to Pdfshuffler or Printruler http://finalpage.sourceforge.net/, but I haven't got it working due to the dependencies (and because Pdfshuffler is so good that I didn't need it).

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

edoc

#18 Post by edoc »

Is there a new location for this, please?
Not Found

The requested URL /tpp/disciple/pdfshuffler.sfs was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Dingo

#19 Post by Dingo »

edoc wrote:Is there a new location for this, please?
http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... s=shuffler
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

disciple

#20 Post by disciple »

I'm uploading it to puppylinux.ca again now too - thanks to Eric for the help there.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER