Pdfshuffler .sfs - Edit pdfs :) fantastic!

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
disciple

#76 Post by disciple »

There is currently a pdfshuffler sfs at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 1ZhaVZPQlk
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#77 Post by disciple »

disciple wrote:Another program I don't think I've mentioned, particularly for doing ocr on scanned pdfs, is the Windows freeware "pdf-xchange viewer", which apparently runs well in Wine.
I should mention:
1. pdf-xchange is full featured, but some features like merging pdfs and rearranging/deleting pages are a premium feature, so if you use these features without buying a license it adds a stamp to each page.
2. pdf-xchange is the best "free" option I've seen for editing pdf bookmarks (no, this isn't a premium feature).

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

greengeek

#78 Post by greengeek »

disciple wrote:There is currently a pdfshuffler sfs at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 1ZhaVZPQlk
Thanks disciple, I just gave that a quick try and it seems all good. It will be useful. Cheers!

disciple

#79 Post by disciple »

disciple wrote:Does anybody by any chance know of a Linux program to change the default view settings in a pdf e.g. change from |continuous view" to "single page" view, or "fit width" to "100%" or "fit page"?
I haven't tried it, but I think there's a good chance Softmaker's new "Flexipdf Basic" would run in Wine. This functionality is provided, albeit in a rather strange place: File>Preferences>Loading, in the bottom section.

Even aside from this, if you ever have to run Windows (where it is a bit of work to use several of the good linux programs like pdfshuffler and pdfmod), Flexipdf Basic is worth having around alongside pdfsam and pdf-xchange.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#80 Post by disciple »

Another program enthusiasts might find useful:
Extract PDFmark can extract page mode and named destinations as PDFmark from PDF
Usage:

Code: Select all

$ extractpdfmark TeX-System-Outputted.pdf > Extracted-PDFmark.ps
$ gs -q -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dPDFDontUseFontObjectNum \
     -sOutputFile=Final.pdf TeX-System-Outputted.pdf Extracted-PDFmark.ps

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#81 Post by disciple »

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/pdf_conversion.shtml
A page with links to a bunch of pdf related tools, particularly for making pdfs more usable on ereaders etc.
Probably not much new there unless you are interested in the ereader type stuff.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#82 Post by disciple »

Just a comment on compressing pdfs (generated ones, probably not scanned ones): I have found that using the compression option in tools like qpdf or pdftk often makes the files a bit bigger (as well as often deleting bookmarks etc)! The best tool for this (and many other things) is pdfsam - e.g. use the merge option and select the options to compress the output file, and to keep the existing bookmarks.

Also note that if you stick to the free versions of pdfsam you may want to use the current generation for some tasks, due to new capabilities, and the previous generation (which incidentally didn't suffer from the rubbish gui font blurring!) for the "visual reorder feature", if pdfshuffler, pdfmod, flexipdf etc aren't giving you good results.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#83 Post by disciple »

This has a command line interface and a nice simple gui (unfortunately gtk3) if you're looking to do simple booklet / n-up stuff... it will of course have the same problems on some pdfs as other tools using pypdf.
Bookletimposer is an utility to achieve some basic imposition on PDF documents, especially designed to work on booklets.

Bookletimposer is implemented as a commandline and GTK+ interface to pdfimposer, a reusable python module built on top of pyPdf2.
https://kjo.herbesfolles.org/bookletimposer/
Last edited by disciple on Wed 31 Jul 2019, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#84 Post by disciple »

Here is another "free" viewer that might be worth checking out if you are after something with similar capabilities to the Windows Adobe Reader:
https://www.qoppa.com/pdfstudioviewer/
No nice crisp aliased fonts though :(
Cross-platform (Java) and relatively huge...
Ability to create annotations is supposed to be coming this April or May, so you may want to hold off until then.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#85 Post by disciple »

In terms of more complex booklet / n-up stuff, I previously mentioned PDF bookbinder and pdfbooklet at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61579, but I think not in this thread.
Pdfbooklet is also using Pypdf2, while bookbinder is Java.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#86 Post by disciple »

I mentioned my own joinPdf on the first page of this thread, but didn't provide a link.
It provides a gui and a command line tool for assembling documents based on file and path names (you give it one or more inputs, and it sorts them, if an input is a folder it recursively searches for pdfs inside). I recently made some significant improvements to both sorting and performance, by utilising different backend tools if available.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#87 Post by disciple »

If anyone wants to put images into pdfs (e.g. create a report appendix with a series of photos, one on each page, specifying margins etc), I'm getting good results with a python command line tool https://gitlab.mister-muffin.de/josch/img2pdf/. I think I selected it for the control of margins and because it operates losslessly with jpeg images.
I possibly need to look again for a solution that will also caption the photos.
Last edited by disciple on Mon 29 Oct 2018, 09:05, edited 2 times in total.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#88 Post by disciple »

For converting html reports to pdf I am using the perl html2ps, which is great for my purposes, but no longer developed, and doesn't understand much css etc. I believe the php html2ps is much more capable, but I haven't tried it.

Unfortunately the perl html2ps homepage has recently gone offline, but you can see its documentation online e.g. http://web.mit.edu/outland/share/lib/ht ... ml2ps.html, and presumably find the source easily enough e.g. at Debian.
Last edited by disciple on Mon 29 Oct 2018, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#89 Post by disciple »

I've been using pdftk to add watermarks and background stamps to pdfs, which is great except AFAIK it can't cope well with a mixture of page sizes and orientations (unless you give it a stamp pdf with a separate page for each page in the main input pdf).
I use it mainly for adding a header logo, which I want at the top right of the page.
I am going to try using the python pdfrw, which has an example script doing almost exactly what I want.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

Fixing corrupted pdfs

#90 Post by disciple »

I found stamping with pdfrw slightly corrupts certain pdfs produced by "save as" from Microsoft Word 2016.

Investigating ways to fix either the corrupted file or the input file, I found I can:
- process the corrupted pdf with either pdftocairo (1) or gs (2), or
- process the original input pdf with pdftocairo (3) or gs (4), before processing it with pdfrw

Other tools like mutool and qpdf failed to fix this particular problem.
Using gs is a little slower than pdfrw, but I notice it also shrinks the filesize of some pdfs, significantly more than pdftocairo does.

Code: Select all

pdftocairo -pdf 0s.pdf 1.pdf

gs -o out.pdf -sDEVICE=pdfwrite in.pdf
EDIT:
Note that:
- In some cases both pdftocairo and gs make files bigger, sometimes MUCH bigger. In ghostscript's case I think this is mainly due to:
1. gs embedding fonts that are missing in the original pdf.
2. gs reencoding images if you use e.g. -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress \, which I believe actually upsamples images, meaning filesize increases about 25% on average.

If you don't specify -dPDFSETTINGS then filesize decreases about 5% on average, compared to a 35% increase with pdftocairo. But some individual files still increase hugely, and these will often be bigger than if processed with pdftocairo. So if you want to process a bunch of files to make sure they aren't corrupt, it is best to use both tools and then keep the smallest resulting file.

The other thing to be aware of is that if any of your files can't be processed because it needs a password to open, pdftocairo will skip it, but gs will write a blank output file.
Last edited by disciple on Fri 09 Nov 2018, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

attach files to a pdf

#91 Post by disciple »

If you are interested in "pdf portfolios" i.e. pdfs with attached files, pdfdetach can extract them. But mutool can do that and also attach them in the first place.

mutool does several other useful things - I haven't used it extensively, but I assume it is good as it is a brother of mupdf.
Last edited by disciple on Wed 03 Apr 2019, 05:18, edited 2 times in total.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#92 Post by disciple »

Origami-pdf is another tool that may be worth mentioning, although it is in ruby, and I'm not sure if it is currently being developed anywhere:
Features
•Create PDF documents from scratch.
•Parse existing documents, modify them and recompile them.
•Explore documents at the object level, going deep into the document structure, uncompressing PDF object streams and desobfuscating names and strings.
•High-level operations, such as encryption/decryption, signature, file attachments...
•A GTK interface to quickly browse into the document contents.
There is a similar python project that seems to be dead.https://github.com/jesparza/peepdf
And a Java one that is alive https://github.com/itext/rups/

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#93 Post by disciple »

Since I'm recording my most important knowledge about pdfs in this thread:

Qpdf is the best option if you need to remove restrictions (e.g. can't print, can't edit, or can't copy text) from pdfs, which in most cases doesn't require a password. N.B. this doesn't help if you have a pdf where the text has not been encoding according to the standard characterset (which was a problem using the old "cups-pdf" virtual printer in Puppy i.e. copied text was gibberish because the characters in the pdf had all been randomly remapped).

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#94 Post by disciple »

Pdfshuffler users may want to note that the version some have treated as an unofficial upstream has now forked as pdfarranger, I guess because there has been a little activity on the original upstream lately.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

Re: attach files to a pdf

#95 Post by disciple »

disciple wrote:If you are interested in "pdf portfolios" i.e. pdfs with attached files, pdfdetach can extract them. But mutool can do that and also attach them in the first place.
Poppler now also has a pdfattach.

Sejda has an option to unpack attachments, and an option to create a "portfolio/collection of attachments". I'm not sure whether or not that is actually different from attaching a file with mutool or pdfattach.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER