S3 Savage IX/MV in Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 series laptop

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
sindi

S3 Savage IX/MV in Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 series laptop

#1 Post by sindi »

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 series 258MHz 320MB RAM.
Booted the first time from live CD it works with Xorg but offers screen resolutions said to be suitable for video and monitor of 640, 1280 and 1600. The laptop LCD screen only goes to 1024 (which is not offered). If I select 1280 it eventually loads Puppy at 1024. Testing 1280 also offers me 1024. If I change resolution after booting, I am offered resolutions of 1024 down to 320. Apart from this confusion, the display works correctly when booted from live CD. BUT, if I save my session and reboot from live CD (without pfix=ram to avoid using the saved session), or boot from a frugal install to hard drive (loadlin vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz rw works), Xorg no longer works. (See other postings for a description of the screen pattern). Xvesa never works with savage ix chips (or neo chips - framebuffer works for both but is not available.) My temporary solution is to use DSL linux on this laptop instead (Xfbdev) but DSL does not support the scroll buttons on the built-in mouse (or provide ssh or a fully usable telnet or permission to post to the forum). Someone suggested replacing Xorg with the puppy 2 Xorg (older, without the bug), but it WORKED from live CD without this! What settings do I change in what file to make it work from hard drive at 1024 resolution with the current Xorg?

I would appreciate Xfbdev/framebuffer support for Puppy. My Gateway Solo 2000 and my Dell Latitude and my Hitachi use neomagic video. Is there a framebuffer puppy version?

sindi

#2 Post by sindi »

Works from live CD (pfix=ram) only if I choose 1280 resolution directly but if I test it video is not usable. There seems to be a different xorgwizard used from hard drive or from CD.