Has anyone dual booted Puppy + Ubuntu with GRUB2?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Jim1911

Re: Puppy & Ubuntu

#121 Post by Jim1911 »

Varmint wrote:in part:
Actually, if you go up to my previous posts, you'll see how I did this. Ubuntu recognized my puppy install, but I didn't care for the way in which it handles it. I booted back into my puppy live cd and used that to install GRUB2. Then, while still using the live cd I edited the menu.lst file to say what I wanted (from puppy). The difference between my install and yours is that, for reasons I can't fathom, you installed FRUGAL, whereas I always install FULL on any hard disk. I found it much easier to edit my menu.lst files from puppy than from other distros, including unix.
Your posts do not reflect a successful installation using GRUB2. Since GRUB2 does not have a menu.lst, I believe that you installed the legacy GRUB.097, or possibly Grub4Dos. I agree the legacy Grubs are easier to use than GRUB2 and are also much faster. You are correct that GRUB2 presently does recognize full installations, but not frugal installations.

For interested parties, there are a number of posts above that do reflect successful installations using GRUB2 along with hints on how to do it.

vanchutr

#122 Post by vanchutr »

Installed GRUB2 on USB-Flash (2Gi)
(USB-Flash is formated with ext3, set boot flag)
I'd wrote "grub.cfg" and put it in boot/grub (on USB-Flash)

Code: Select all

set timeout=10
set default=0

menuentry "LUCI-526" {
 linux /lupu526rc/vmlinuz --
 initrd /lupu526rc/initrd.gz
}

menuentry "SQUE" {
 linux /sque/vmlinuz --
 initrd /sque/initrd.gz
}
These work! Is it simple (I did'nt to edit anything existed in installation of grub2

nooby

#123 Post by nooby »

You are correct that GRUB2 presently does recognize full installations, but not frugal installations.
Jim that can explain why I failed to see some of my frugal installs then.

I did not know that feature of grub2. So typical for "real" linux to discriminate against frugal installs. :)

If any of you wonder what "SQUE" refers to it is a music server for special hardware so not a regular linux os on Linux DistroWatch
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rcrsn51

#124 Post by rcrsn51 »

nooby wrote:
You are correct that GRUB2 presently does recognize full installations, but not frugal installations.
Jim that can explain why I failed to see some of my frugal installs then.
@nooby: You know that the above statement is false, Your GRUB2 flash drive setup uses frugal installs and it works fine.

nooby

#125 Post by nooby »

rcrsn51 I guess there is some misunderstanding due to my poor command of English grammar or lack of logic consistence in my text.

I assert that either I went outside the constraints that Lance set up in that grub.cfg because very often it refused to show OS that I added while it did show others and them booted fine too.

So both me and you are right. I trust that you having more knowledge than me you did keep within the restraints while me being adventures something tried wild things that is not supposed to work and them did not show up at all. They are there in the grub.cfg but not in the one that boots so one never see them and can not chose them. So the program seems to do some check of compatibility or something and refuses to accept entries that not live up to the constraints set up.

So if it is very important we can try to sort it out. But I trust very few others than me have those needs to get so many distros going.

Most people just try out Ubuntu and varieties of ubuntu and Linux Mint and Peppermint and such and very few would test odd linux distros that them never even heard of.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though