Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 31 Oct 2014, 13:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Has anyone dual booted Puppy + Ubuntu with GRUB2?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 7 of 9 [125 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
DaveS

PostPosted: Sun 06 Dec 2009, 15:07    Post subject:  

Béèm wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:
I've shrunk partitions a number of times using gparted in 4.1.2.

Haven't tried 4.3.1 gparted though, it creates partitions with
256 inodes, which can cause problems trying to boot earlier
puppies unless grub from 4.3.1 is also installed to mbr.

I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
I am always afraid that files are fragmented and that shrinking a partition could lead to loss of data.
Am I too afraid?

I never had a problem that way Beem.

tlcstat

PostPosted: Sun 06 Dec 2009, 16:55    Post subject: Grub 2 This works!
Subject description: Grub 2 This works!

Greetings,
This is working perfect for me.

menuentry "Puppy Linux Fatdog SDA2"{
set root=(hd0,2)
linux /FatdogFrugal/vmlinuz pmedia=satahd psubdir=FatdogFrugal
initrd /FatdogFrugal/initrd.gz
}
menuentry "Puppy Linux 431 SDA2"{
set root=(hd0,2)
linux /puppy431/vmlinuz pmedia=satahd psubdir=puppy431
initrd /puppy431/initrd.gz
}
EOF

Booting with Grub2 on an Ubuntu 9.10 system.
I have both frugal installs on a separate 5Gig EXT2 partition created with the Puppy 431 CD.
Each directory has a blank text file named "SATAHD".
If you have a IDE drive you may need to rename this to "IDEHD".
Note that the psubdir doesn't have the root indicator "/".
Also, I was getting poor boot performance until I deleted my save file and started over with a new save file. With the new save file there are no boot irregularities {period!].
Have fun.
TLCSTAT
tlcstat

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec 2009, 09:54    Post subject: Ubuntu 9.10 Grub 2 Update
Subject description: Legacy Boot Menu Option in Grub2

Greetings,
My Ubuntu 9.10 Update just [yesterday] came up with a Grub2 patch that allows the option for scripting in grub.conf. It is an update option. In other words you can install the update to revert to scripting or keep the new grub2 format. Either way the update-grub will apply. I choose to use the new format to put Puppy in the 40_custom file. Life goes on so might as well learn the new format. I'm a new Linux user anyway so no big deal. Just as a side note, I have deleted all of my M$ partitions, so I am now 100% Ext2,3,4. I found out that "Avast has a Linux version and my Serial works for both versions, so I installed Avast in my Ubuntu and now I don't know what to do with it! If I could move it from the virtual to the material I would use it for a door stop.
tlcstat
Jim1911

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jan 2010, 11:59    Post subject:  

Here's another success story. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=378509#378509

Jim
nooby

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr 2010, 08:02    Post subject:  

Within a few days? we get Ubuntu 10.04 with Grub2 coming and a lot of us want to dualboot ubuntu and puppy and most likely Linux Mint 9 that also will have grub2?

Do easy to follow instructions would be cool to have.

We seems to have to learn to do the UUID thing too

By accident I happen to find out how one did it and now I have already forgotten about it again.

I never managed to do the updating of grub. I had to cheat by manually forcing the config to accept a frugal Puppy and then keep a back up of how one does it in case next automatic update erase or delete my manual cheat code entry.

Jim1911

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr 2010, 10:59    Post subject:  

Ubuntu 9.10 also defaulted to GRUB2. The solution to keeping GRUB.097 is to have a separate boot partition and not allow the new installation to update grub.

However, you must manually edit the menu.lst file and make necessary corrections including the UUID (noted by nooby). This is easily accomplished using a puppy installation. Gparted will provide the UUID information needed. Just highlight the partition, then select Partition > Information.

Personally, I have tried GRUB2 and found that on my system that it is extremely slow compared to GRUB.097, so I reverted back.

Jim
tlcstat

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr 2010, 13:19    Post subject:  

Greetings,
I have been running Ubuntu 10.04 Beta2 from a 16gig PNY pendrive for a month and it is faster running from the pendrive than 9.10 from my hard drive. So last week I installed the 10.04 beta 2 over my 9.10. The new release in Beta 2 is very crisp and doesn't have the memory leaks that are common on 9.10. Also, it seems to dualboot puppy without the swapfile problems that I was having in the earlier release. I use Grub2 with no problems. I learned long ago that history moves forward not backward. This is just as true for linux as it is for windows.
tlcstat
nooby

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr 2010, 13:57    Post subject:  

Heheh I love this one:
Quote:
I learned long ago that history moves forward not backward. This is just as true for linux as it is for windows.
tlcstat

So let us all vote for a Grub3 where the problem with grub2 are solved.
Instead of being difficult to use manually

we need a Grub3 that is even easier to use
for a newbie to install any kind of OS on USB
or DVD or HDD than current Grub Legacy or
Grub4DOS is and it should have no need for
experteeze knowledge to accomplish it.

So let us " move forward not backward. This should be true for linux as for any kind of OS

Not criticising you tlcstat. I think that Barry did something very good with Puppy and AntiX seems to have liked some feature and have incorporated it in AntiX so hopefully many other devs would follow through too.

AntiX is still too difficult for me to use. I have installed it on two computers bot full and frugal but too much to learn. I had to give up on it.

Even puppy are too difficult. So much to keep in head. My brain fail to remember all the details. Maybe I have an early dementia or something. Too bad.

Think like a newbie
but code like a Pro!

tlcstat

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr 2010, 16:30    Post subject:  

Greetings,
Wow! finally a linux user that is concerned that it [linux] is too technical! And I was just getting to like it. Ubuntu 10.04 goes a long way toward solving some of these problems for the crossover user and puppy has been working along those lines for a long time also. Regarding legacy grub, I do "get it". The users that have been scripting for ages aren't going to want to change. That's fine with me. I was just sharing my own experience as a user and that is what forums are for. Sorry I got your dander up.
tlcstat
don570

PostPosted: Sat 08 May 2010, 12:05    Post subject: grub2 install in frugal installation
Subject description: success

I just installed ubuntu 10.04 lucid and Grub2 was automatically installed.
It was setup to bootup Ubuntu not Puppy linux.I had to go to the Ubuntu support pages and find out about Grub2. It's quite simple to setup.
First the setup file has been already been created at installation of the system software, so while running the Ubuntu operating system[not puppy] open the file up with the terminal command:

sudo nano /etc/grub.d/40_custom

Let's say I have 2 folders named lighthouse443 and quirky1 on the first partition of the first hard drive(sda1) containing the relevant puppy kernels.
I write the following script:
Code:

#!/bin/sh
echo "Adding 40_custom menu entries." >&2
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.

menuentry "lighthouse" {
set root=(hd0,1)
linux /lighthouse443/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=lighthouse443
initrd /lighthouse443/initrd.gz
}

menuentry "quirky1" {
set root=(hd0,1)
linux /quirky1/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=quirky1
initrd /quirky1/initrd.gz
}

EOF

Now write out and exit. One last terminal command is needed:
sudo update-grub
You can now reboot.Hold the shift key down to get the grub screen and choose your operating system.
Note 1:The second line of script was a suggestion from Ubuntu to
provide visual notification that the '40_custom' file was being read
Note 2:The '40_custom' file is a script and must be made executable but
it is already so no need to worry, but if you aren't sure you can always run:
sudo chmod +x /etc/grub.d/40_custom
-----------------------------------------------------------
Added: once this configuration is done, I discovered that editing the file
named grub.cfg (located on Ubuntu bootup partition)is easy using Puppy Linux. Make modifications once you have booted up Puppy Linux. Ubuntu advises against this but I find that it is safe and convienient. The file `40_custom' can
lie dormant and unused if you make all changes in future from the Puppy OS.

Last edited by don570 on Sat 22 May 2010, 14:01; edited 4 times in total
Jim1911

PostPosted: Sat 08 May 2010, 12:56    Post subject:  

Don,

Thank you for sharing your success story, your summary is concise, complete and provides helpful hints about setting up the "40_custom menu entries" file.

Jim
mama21mama

PostPosted: Mon 10 May 2010, 13:38    Post subject: You can also see here  

You can also see here.

regards
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
don570

PostPosted: Mon 10 May 2010, 18:05    Post subject: audacity install on lupu
Subject description: recommendation

Thanks
Get more info on how to number hard disks go to
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275
Here's an exerpt from article:
# Note the new partition naming convention. Devices start counting from "0" as done previously.
sda is designated as "hd0", sdb is "hd1", etc. However the first partition is now designated as sda1.
Counting partitions does not start with "0".
sda5 is the fifth partition
# If the user wishes to get visual confirmation in the terminal that the 40_custom file contents
are being added when "update-grub" is executed, the following line can be added to the '/etc/grub.d/40_custom' file:

Code:
echo "Adding 40_custom menu entries." >&2

* Place this line immediately after the first line - "#!/bin/bash" - and before the "exec tail -n +3 $0" line.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you're interested in the latest version of Audacity,
you should read my experience with Lucid puppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=417220#417220
With the help of debian packages it is possible to install
quite a bit of cutting edge software on lupu.
This version of puppy has a lot of promise now.
Fishback

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jul 2010, 23:06    Post subject: Grub 2 with Lubuntu & Puppy 5.01  

I'm using Grub 2 to dual-boot Lubuntu and Puppy 5.01 on an old laptop. All recently installed. Grub 2 is working OK but I have one problem. After shutting down Puppy, Lubuntu insists on a disk check - no matter whether it's a soft reboot or whether the laptop is first powered off.

I didn't have this problem several months back when I was using Grub 2 to dual-boot Xubuntu and older versions of Puppy. Does anyone have a guess as to what's going on? Is this a Grub problem, or is it more likely to be Lubuntu?

tx.

p.s. - I normally boot to Puppy but do occasionaly boot to Lubuntu, which has far better wireless support. And Lubuntu is very quick - much faster than either Ubuntu or Xubuntu but of course not quite as fast as Puppy.
Varmint

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jul 2010, 12:16    Post subject: kisk numbering
Subject description: sda1 = (hd0,0)

I have an Asus Eee 701SD w/8gb SSD, 2gb ram.
I've installed Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 and Ubuntu 10.4 on this, giving 3gb to puppy and the rest to ubuntu. Ubuntu was installed last, and I used it's default grub installer to dual-boot these two distros. Both booted properly, but I don't like the boot order or naming conventions in this file. Like the Debian on which it is based, ubuntu puts itself first regardless of what order you want, so I popped in the lucid pup installation cd and did something we are not supposed to do. I manually edited the grub.cfg file, changing both boot order and the name for my puppy partition, which I use by default on all systems here. I also changed the timeout from 6 seconds to 30, because I'm a slow old fart that wants to mash things that try to hurry me up. I didn't have any problems with this, by the way, but your mileage may vary, as they say, so don't do something hairy unless you're willing to re-install things. I fiddle with my netbook constantly and don't care if I garf something like an OS, as I'll simply re-install. Also, I never noticed the new naming conventions until someone pointed them out. How bizaarre and un-unix-like. I wonder what ever prompted them to do THAT?! Were the old ones somehow not good enough anymore? Or is this an attempt to make things "easier" for the rank novice? Are they going to change this in the future to a dos prompt or win-doze naming system to make it even easier? Hmmmm.....Smile
Page 7 of 9 [125 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: