How to tell grub which pupsave file to use? (SOLVED)

Using applications, configuring, problems
davesurrey

#21 Post by davesurrey »

Hi Sully,
I've never seen any resource apart from the manuals or 3 and 4 series at www.puppylinux.org/manual that describe what to use in the grub stanzas for Puppy.

Except of course what's in the various threads on this forum.

Learnt by trail and error and occasional the good advise from folk on here.

Good luck. :-)

Cheers
Dave

ICPUG

#22 Post by ICPUG »

sullysat,

I've learnt something. It's the Puppy Universal Installer (PUI) that throws out those outdated kernel parameters!

While the PUI works in certain instances it sometimes doesn't. Every so often someone suggests a major look at PUI and get it working better. It doesn't happen. The better way, as far as I am concerned, is to do it manually but I appreciate that is not much help to newbies. My opinion is that the 'Beginners Guide to Installing Puppy' here on the beginners forum should be the first port of call - not PUI! Never mind - because PUI is not perfect it has spawned lots of users to create different ways of installing Puppy in whatever way you can think of.

When you ask about a source for Puppy specific grub commands I presume you mean the kernel parameters that can be used, like PMEDIA, root, ...
If so, then yes they were on the old wiki here:

http://pupweb.org/wikka/BootParms

This page is a bit out of date - it doesn't cover the newest stuff in 4.2.1 for example.

As far as I can tell this page has not been transferred to the new wiki. This is just as well as there are significant omissions/errors that need correcting.

sullysat

#23 Post by sullysat »

Thanks for the info ICPUG!

I'll take a look at that link and see if any of it will help with the older frugal installs (2.14 specifically).

I'm hoping to get caught up enough for a more detailed update later today, but at this point, using the 'pupsave' parameter, I've been able to get all the frugals working properly (boot from subdirectory and automatically load the right save file).

I'm still trying to sort out the 2.14 install though. It was working from a subdirectory before I started messing with it, but now it isn't, nor is it loading the save file correctly. I'll revisit this today and see what I can do.

Once I get it sorted out or decide I'm still stumped, I'll let you all know. Thanks again for the help, comments, and advice.

Sully

sullysat

#24 Post by sullysat »

OhhhKAY! Everything works!

Once I knew that there was a command to identify the path and filename for the pup_save file, it was just a matter of editing those entries for the version4+ pups.

The 214R pup posed a variety of issues, however, most of which were solved once I found vg1's entries in that thread about the differences between that puplet and a standard 2.14 puppy.

So thanks to all of you for your help, advice, and comments. Hopefully this info will help someone else down the road. I'm going to list the grub.lst file below and go try to figure out how to mark the subject solved.

Sully

# GRUB configuration file '/boot/grub/menu.lst'.
# generated by 'grubconfig'. Mon Aug 31 18:49:38 2009
#
# The backup copy of the MBR for drive '/dev/sda' is
# here '/boot/grub/mbr.sda.7371'. You can restore it like this.
# dd if=/boot/grub/mbr.sda.7371 of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
#
# Start GRUB global section
timeout 30
color light-gray/blue black/light-gray
gfxmenu /boot/grub/deep_stage1
# End GRUB global section

# Linux bootable partition config begins
title Puppy Linux 4.2.1 Full (on /dev/sda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=normal
# Linux bootable partition config ends

title Puppy 4.0 Frugal (on /dev/hda2)
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel /puppy400/vmlinuz pmedia=idehd psubdir=puppy400 pupsave=/puppy400/pup-save_400f.2fs
initrd /puppy400/initrd.gz

title HSB v2 (Puppy 4.12 for kids) Frugal (on /dev/hda2)
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel /edupup_412/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=idehd psubdir=edupup_412 nosmp pupsave=/edupup_412/pup_save-hsb.2fs
initrd /edupup_412/initrd.gz

title Puppy 214R v8 by ttuuxxx Frugal (on /dev/hda2)
rootnoverify (hd0,1)/puppy214R
kernel /puppy214R/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd PDEV1=hda2 PUPMODE=12 DEV1FS=ext3 SFSFILE=ext3,hda2,/puppy214R/pup_214R.sfs PUPSAVE=ext3,hda2,/puppy214R/pup_save_214R.3fs
initrd /puppy214R/initrd.gz

# title Install GRUB to floppy disk (on /dev/fd0)
# pause Insert a formatted floppy disk and press enter.
# root (hd0,0)
# setup (fd0)
# pause Press enter to continue.
# title Install GRUB to Linux partition (on /dev/sda1)
# root (hd0,0)
# setup (hd0,0)
# pause Press enter to continue.
title - For help press 'c', then type: 'help'
root (hd0)
title - For usage examples, type: 'cat /boot/grub/usage.txt'
root (hd0)

Crash

#25 Post by Crash »

I confirmed that there is no reference to psubok or psave in the 4.3 beta release.

ICPUG

#26 Post by ICPUG »

Thanks Crash!

Are you going to tell Barry? I've already been chastised in his blog for daring to suggest he started 4.3 from the wrong base (4.1.2 instead of 4.2.1). He doesn't see it that way, because the development method IS more advanced than either, but here is another example of things being solved for 4.2 getting lost.

Sullysat,

Thanks for your detailed menu.lst to solve your problem. I wonder why you need the pupsave parameter whereas many of us get by without it! One day we will work it out.

sullysat

#27 Post by sullysat »

ICPUG wrote: Sullysat,

Thanks for your detailed menu.lst to solve your problem. I wonder why you need the pupsave parameter whereas many of us get by without it! One day we will work it out.
I wonder too, ICPUG, but as long as it works, I'm not going to complain!

Of course, ttuuxxx has put out beta version 10 of the 214R puplet, with a bunch of changes. We'll see how much that changes the boot parameters. I suspect it will, given that some folks have mentioned it already.

Crash

#28 Post by Crash »

Regarding psubok and psave:

I just downloaded the 4.3 beta .iso yesterday, so I didn't know what was in it till then. I guess I should post the observation in the 4.3 beta bugs section? It's not a bug, but I think it is useful capability that should be re-inserted. It's only a few lines of code.

Completely off the subject:
It looks like the init code that Pizzasgood changed didn't make it into 4.3 beta either. Some of his code fixed things that had been an irritant for a long time.

Regarding PUPSAVE:

The wiki has no reference to the PUPSAVE parameter. Maybe someone can add it? Also, is this material available on the current documenation thread?

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/CategoryDocumentation

It is useful information that should be available there, too. Maybe it is, but I can't find it.