RAM FULL again

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
dogle

RAM FULL again

#1 Post by dogle »

Today I downloaded the 4.3.1RC1 105MB and, whilst having a spot of bother getting an MD5 check, saved to DVD and rebooted ...

Oops, the dreaded RAM FULL message! OK, pfix=1, now back in business with 4.3.1RC1 on a new disk with most stuff saved, but a couple of questions:

If only I could suppress/hide that 105MB file (which I have belatedly copied to a spare hard drive, but cannot of course erase from the DVD) I could save the rest of the stuff en bloc. Is there a crafty way to kill it, using ISOmaster or otherwise?

Afterwards, <free> and me thought that there should have been loads of memory, if only my swap partitions had been engaged.

I suspect that the multisession boot process seeks to read saved sessions before enabling swap - is that right? If so, is reversing that order of events a practical improvement for the future?

Edit - should have specified - DVD-R

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

There should be a boot option ("pfix=something," I forget what because I haven't used it for a long time) that blacklists the last n (you specify the n) saved sessions when Puppy boots. Using this boot option will cause your multisession Puppy to ignore the last (n) sessions, including the one where the big file is saved, when it boots. This blacklist is permanent if you save the session where you used the boot option.

Note that the blacklisted session(s) are still on the DVD, and you can still access the files in them by mounting the multisession DVD and finding the session(s) where the files were saved.

dogle

#3 Post by dogle »

Thanks Flash.

Yes, booting with puppy pfix=1 causes the last saved session to be ignored, and so the boot sequence is completed without the RAM FULL halt.

I've been trying to use ISOmaster to get rid of the offending 105MB file which caused the RAM limit to be exceeded - intending to reburn to a fresh disk without it - but without success. This is most likely due to my difficulty in getting the hang of ISOmaster, but there may be some more fundamental problem. (My aim was to avoid the chore of salvaging files from the blacklisted session manually).

Has anyone else tried this or a similar workaround? Any luck?